Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What pleasure do you get driving your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Seems as we age a lot of us appreciate the comfort features of the "new cars"..heated seats, a/c, cruise control, a/t, power windows, GPS, etc.
    The "pleasure" I get from my old cars is exactly the opposite of the new cars features..it's the diversity. Simple/basic/raw, no frills, loudness, uncomfortableness seat of the pants driving.
    In addition to that, there is the feeling that comes over you, as if time has rolled back the years, you can get lost in your thoughts of the past driving your unique creation, that makes others take note.

nunattax, MO_JUNK, 61Cruiser and 3 others like this.
  2. ...sounds like all of you guys get it!...I know a guy who has a nice car, only drives it 200 miles a year,...to me he's not a car guy,...another guy has a nice later model Camino, has only driven it 75 miles in SIX years!,...not a car guy I guess,...I've put 200 miles on my old pickup in a day or two,...in the nice months that's all I drive is my old cars....life's short, gotta use it wisely.

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I drive my convertible as much as I can. It’s a fun car to drive. In fact I have a United Veterans Club meeting this morning and I’m going to drive it to the meeting

Dave Mc and chryslerfan55 like this.
  4. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

It's the journey not the destination

5. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just finished my 2000 mile yearly visit to the 50th NSRA Nationals. Great trip and enjoyed the ride in my '40 more this year than any other year.

i.rant, 61Cruiser and exterminator like this.
  6. It's my daily driver... for 12 yrs. I love getting in and firing it up to go somewhere, anywhere, just to go some place. It puts a smile on my face that's hard to wipe off! ;)

MO_JUNK, 61Cruiser, jaw22w and 2 others like this.
  7. arthurC3

arthurC3

The memories make the car experience all the sweeter. Kissin',huggin', breakin' up, breakin' down.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. It just makes me feel better...
    The thumbs up, people turning g to look, folks asking questions at the store, restaurant, or gas station is nice (and extremely flattering) but that's not really why I have the car... it's way more personal than that. I love cars (especially old cars) I go to shows, but i go to look, to be inspired, to meet like minded people, to network (parts and knowledge base) and sometimes to steal ideas of new ways to solve old problems...
    To be alone with my car, listening, smelling, and feeling things that you can only experience driving an older car.
    The chase... chasing the car, chasing the parts, chasing the knowledge.
    Chappy

47ragtop, Montana1, 61Cruiser and 4 others like this.
  9. Besides building them, driving them is the most fun. Car Shows were once way up on the list, now towards the bottom, rather be driving than parked.

10. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I am the same way. I have enjoyed driving old cars at times (when I lived in a small town), but anymore with traffic and the attitude of most drivers, I don't really enjoy it at all. I never really enjoyed taking a car to car shows either. I still enjoy messing around with them in the garage and looking at them. haha

mikec4193 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Yesterday when the temperature hit 101 and I was driving the '50 coupe the only real pleasure was getting home and parking it in the garage. :D HRP

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You have to ask?:p

I haven't drove mine in so long I've about forgotten how much fun it is.:( I spend more time driving the Freightliner than anything, only fun in it is the little paycheck it gives me every week....:rolleyes:

13. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Had the Turd out today for about 4 hours, mostly highway miles - windows down, vents open, arm out the window ( I think there's a thread about this ), old car smells, exhaust fumes,etc. Everything that comes with old cars - including a big smile on my face the entire time. It is funny though, when driving the "modern" car, the windows are never down - I can't stand the all the noise. But put me in the old girl and they're down regardless even in the cold weather.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Texas57, chryslerfan55 and Moon50F3 like this.
  14. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I love the feeling of a vintage steering wheel in my hand instead of the bloated thick leather wrapped ones of today with the electronics embedded.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

61Cruiser likes this.
  15. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm lucky to live in one of the most beautiful areas in the country so I spend a lot of afternoons just joy-riding on the back roads with the radio blasting. Whether it is in the '41 Chevy or on my Harley, I'm finding that those are the times when I'm truly at peace anymore.
    I've gotten to the point that the D.D. only gets used when I have to drive into the city or to some places where I don't want to leave the old car unattended.

16. 34Larry

34Larry

got ta tell ya c-n-n this video is just to damned cool, YES!!!!!!!! :D, and YES!!!!!!!! :D:D, and YES!!!!!!!! :D:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. 48ford

48ford

Driving it?
    It just feels good!

61Cruiser and exterminator like this.
  18. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Sitting in a lawn chair behind an old car does not compare to sitting behind a steering wheel in a old car!

61Cruiser likes this.
  19. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

we build our cars to be driven....come rain or sunshine....we don't get snow.....
    if we don't drive them we may as well get them chrome plated and put them up on the mantel piece.

20. trollst

trollst

Driving my dailies is just getting there, but not in my hot rods. I drive 15 minutes to town to get my mail, along a scenic river, a park like drive, pretty as hell and I only see the beauty while in a hot rod, particularly my roadster. I'm also very aware of deer, bastards can kill you if they come over the hood and there are lots here, came across a bear on the road, had to back up and wait, no roof or windows to hide behind, I'm also very aware that I could die in my cars, something that never crosses my mind in my DD. Mostly, they are FUN to drive, exciting stuff that keeps me young.

Texas57, Driver50x and 61Cruiser like this.
  21. walter

walter

It's been almost a month since I have had a chance to stir the gears. Tomorrow morning Grandson and I are going for breakfast and a short drive!

22. I drive mine every chance I get. In fact, I look for excuses to go somewhere or do something for more wheel time. I drive them to work ( Auto collision Repair instructor) and tell my students all the time that while everyone else is just commuting to a place they don’t even want to go to, I get to CRUISE to hang out with them.
    I have attended a bunch of shows this summer, but it’s for the drive and friends, not the show. Going 300 miles Saturday to a show just for the drive.
    Winters coming, so time is precious.

61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. What pleasure do you get driving your hot rod? That is the question. I drive my F-100 every chance I get, it helps me relax and enjoy life. I also drive this little gem once in a while. IMG_0696.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

47ragtop, MO_JUNK, 61Cruiser and 2 others like this.
  24. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

No hotrods but my 59 Mercury and OT Impala ragtop, I love seeing young non-car types respond to them.
    They will take selfies next to them when they are parked or ask me "what IS that?" like it's a spaceship or something.

And the satisfaction of driving something that is only still on the road because of the work you put into it, that's a great feeling.

Texas57, 61Cruiser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

I just love the FEELING of driving an old car- the steering wheel, the mechanical clutch, drum brakes and bias plies... it really can’t be replicated.

The sound and feel of the Flathead, rowing through the gears with the column shifter, listening to the car and the wind.

Nothing better.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. dartracer

dartracer

IMG_1180.JPG It's loud, it's cramped, it rides rough, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Just love to get in and take off for a while.

27. Build, drive, swap meets, build some more........that’s all. Oh yeah and stupid work stuck in the middle.

I only go to maybe 3 local shows a year that don't have swap meets attached.....an then it’s just pure walking and looking (my cars are not in the show). I drive at least every weekend night and sometimes after work to run errands.

Except now......totally going through withdrawals....no working and no driving. My mom had back surgery so I’m living with her for at least a month.

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Driving any hot rod is one of the nicest things to do. The surge of power when the accelerator is pushed down, the wind in your hair, the sound of the motor making all of that horsepower…what more could you ask for in a moving vehicle? Yes, you can get the same feel in a 1973 Porsche 911 RSR, but that is another story.

As a teen, that feeling of independence is primary in a first car ownership. But, when that car has a ton of horsepower and makes tremendous power for a big car, then it satisfies. There is just something about the idling sound of a powerful motor that just intensifies the feeling of cruising around. Yes, anyone can cruise around, but not in a 1934 Ford 5 Window Coupe with a big, loping Olds motor that won a few trophies in the A/Gas Class at Lions.

As lucky as I was driving around in my 1958 348 Impala, when I was able to drive around in my friend’s blue, Henry J with a 409 motor during the summer of 1962, that was really something. Every street corner and stop light seemed like we were setting up at the starting line at Lions Dragstrip.

The anticipation of the green light was like the timing lights we used to see ahead of us, while looking over at the competitor in the next lane. Now, it is the feeling that young (and old) hot rodders get when a hot rod is finished and used for the drags or just relaxing while cruising around.

Jnaki

The Henry J was set up to do short distance cruises. The owner was not into actual drag racing at Lions. It was set up with all of the safety paraphernalia required,too. But, the glare and satisfaction of the looks he got while cruising around made up for all of the questions… “When are you going to Lions, how fast is it, etc.”

The longest road trip we took was a 100 mile plus evening, going down to Newport Beach. We loved doing the drive-in scene and all of the side trips- teenage road action, on the way home to Bixby Knolls. To say we felt every inch of the hot rod sound and feeling was on point! It was pleasurable… and, those looks will last for a lifetime.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    47ragtop and 61Cruiser like this.
  29. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I live in suburbia hell... I know the feeling the OP has.... Traffic gets old when you want to just GO.

My advice, drive it even in traffic, you will stick out like a 10' tall white guy at a MLK celebration...

Find places you can go, take the ride out of town, go to shows etc. I don' like traffic as I drive in that shit 5 days a week, but on the weekends when I have the time and ability I head out and go somewhere out from my suburbia hell. When I get one some country 2 lanes, fresh paved asphalt, the essence of why I built my old truck comes alive... Simple place, simple times.... You have to find that peace and somewhere to go that gives it that's not 2 hrs away.

Montana1 and 61Cruiser like this.
  30. Sod Buster

Sod Buster

I just like the time machine feel of the car, mine still has the original windshield I sometimes wonder what all has been seen through it since 1947.

[​IMG]

MO_JUNK, Driver50x, 61Cruiser and 4 others like this.