Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you look to see if people are looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Aug 14, 2019.

1. When at a stop light or just driving do you look around to see if people are looking at your ride ? I usually just look ahead figuring if I'm looking around ,makes the car and driver less cool ? What do you all do ?

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

I ignore them. So much that a woman passenger told me, "you don't know, but a lot of people are looking at your car."

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Im beyond trying to look cool.

4. I'm usually watching the rear view mirror to see if some dumb-ass on a cell phone is going to rear-end me.:eek:

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I get honked at,or waved at,an I return it,seems the right thing to do,if they took the time,I can.
    Don't think that's less cool,it's not why I drive my hot rod. I been driving the very same rod for 50+ years,started in high school. For about the last 30 years though ,more an more folks seem too take less note of things around them. And now we have cell phone zombies. Still a few will ask if they can take a pic,so some are brought up well. Others are not,an when I'm parked,will try to open door with out asking.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I already know they're looking at me, usually thinking "What's that dickhead doing with that badass car?"

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sometimes, it pays off. A few years ago, I was runnin' east in downtown Boca Raton towards the ocean road, in my '37 Chevy Utility Express, rowin' the gears and chompin' my cigar like Mr Horspower. I notice a car keeping pace beside me out of the corner of my eye so I swivel my head to see a beautiful blonde one-third my age in a late model Mercedes with the top (car) down. She yelled across at me "I like your style" then floored it. I had traffic in front of me so I couldn't give chase but it was sweet none the less.

8. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I wave or return a thumbs up but I don’t look around to see who’s looking. I built it to enjoy, and I do. If others like it, great.

I’m with @harpo1313 I’m beyond looking cool, just trying to enjoy myself.

Cliff Ramsdell

Big mike 1968, Stogy, Hombre and 11 others like this.
  9. Exactly !

Boryca, TFoch, Runnin shine and 15 others like this.
  10. Got to admit, I never was cool

11. Fordors

Fordors

People have different views on our hobby- Why spend your money on that?, That old thing must be a polluter!, He‘s an outlaw, be careful., Hey, cool car, is it for sale?, and a thousand more.
    I do acknowledge compliments at a traffic light with a wave but otherwise I avoid contact.
    If I heard it once I’ve heard it a thousand times, the guys that can’t get their lawn mower to start are most likely the guys that say you need bigger carbs on that blower, or this- My Uncle had one just like that that ran 9’s in the quarter. The citizens just don’t understand what we are doing for the most part.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  12. ^^^^Well said^^^^

jimmy six, Stogy, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I don't seek attention, but sometimes I notice that some people just don't look at all, which confirms my suspicion that most drivers are oblivious to what is going on around them.

14. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This. Regardless of what I am piloting.

15. dwollam

dwollam

Were we live we can drive our old cars most all the time. Sometimes when I see people looking I think "What the Hell are you looking at?" then remember , "Oh yeah, I'm driving an old car!" because it is so normal for me I forget I'm even doing it some times. 99.999% of the time it is in admiration.

Dave

16. catdad49

catdad49

I try to focus on my (and others) driving so I can arrive safely. Now, the other day, I was in the store and happened to see a lady snapping a pic of the old heap in the parking lot. Cool, somebody gets it.

17. glrbird

glrbird

The only time I look around is when I do something stupid in the garage.

18. catdad49

catdad49

Maybe That's why I prefer to work alone!?

29A-V8, Stogy, OLSKOOL57 and 2 others like this.
  19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I was in Sacramento (100 miles away) and found a 'Candlestick phone' at an antique store. ('Cool' in my shop...Elliot Ness like) I was driving my '55 F100, so the phone laid in the passenger seat on the way back, down 99.
    A newer BMW 525i sedan was passing me, slowly...a GORGEOUS blonde was driving, talking on her phone. (naturally)
    She turned and smiled, nodding once...then she just gradually drove on. Traffic was nil, we were the only vehicles for 1/2 mile.
    I picked up the candlestick phone, (both pieces) and gassed the F100 to about 80...came slowly alongside, on her right. She turned around, and I had the candlestick resting on my 4 spoke Bell, like I'm talking into it, and holding the ear horn to my right ear...She started laughing real hard, blew me a kiss. I laughed, slowed to 70, and watched her '5' as it drove off.
    Was I cool? Likely. Did I 'look cool'? Hopefully. Did I get a laugh? Definitely!

20. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I look around to make sure that nobody sees me resting my elbow on the windowsill like a dork.:rolleyes:

clem, Guthrie1068, 61Cruiser and 23 others like this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Unless I'm clowning, I would NEVER 'push' my elbow/forearm out the window.
    Cool is bred in the absence of 'waving arms'. I usually sport my 'Hollywood' shades...

22. LAROKE

LAROKE

Cleaning out a storage bay a few years back, I pick up an old three speed tranny with overdrive and I pivot to carry it out. The leg I pivot on begins to collapse and I throw the tranny away from me as I go down on the concrete. Managed not to cripple myself which is a big deal as I am a geezer. I look to the transmission and am double lucky as it took no damage. Then I look across to the opposite storage unit to see a guy standing there watching the whole thing and we must be the only two guys in the storage yard this Sunday morning.

23. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I like to sit and watch people when they walk in the door at a bar. The guys suck in their beer belly and pull their shoulders back and do their best to look cool and bad-ass. The females push their chest out, suck their belly in and swish the hair back, cool and sexy. I just sit there and watch the show, I am too damn old and fat to be very cool anymore, I just do my best not to look drunk and stupid:p

24. I only look when they are drifting over in my lane gawking, otherwise I'm not looking to see what the lookie loo's are doing. HRP

25. I resemble that statement! :D I guess I'm a DORK! HRP

[​IMG]

26. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Just a casual glance to keep tabs on what’s going on around me, you have to watch out for distracted drivers

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not saying it's good or bad, but I'm sure most of us have done it, but what made me more conscious of it was actually catching other people doing it, some really seem pretty blatant about it.
    The ones I really try not to acknowledge are the "wannabe gold chainers", usually in late model Corvettes that are trying too hard to get noticed, many times the fit doesn't seem right.

26 T Ford RPU and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

The only time I'm looking around is to see if I can pick my nose without being caught.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if it is a crappy OT car next to me will give a big smile, point at the car and give a big thumbs up

30. jim snow

jim snow

Mostly this. Snowman