Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pinion angle ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnrfray, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh hell no I wouldn't say that. Nobody would. Nonetheless, according to the folks that design this stuff they are pinions. For another example of a pinion that is a part of almost any automobile engine, check out the link below from the Society of Automobile Engineers.......

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j543_199511/preview/

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Roo
    Sometimes its hard to express things without becoming a little too intense. My apologies for that. I'll try again with hopefully a better result.
    It is really difficult to write things because almost everything anyone says is not "perfectly" true in all instances. So, we are caught in a situation where we either have to be very lengthy in our reply to hopefully encompass every possible variation.....or we can be very general and keep the reply brief.
    In trying to be brief, my understanding is that when building a hot rod with the leaf spring suspension, many people have had good success by placing the pinion in a lower but reasonably parallel plane with the rear of the transmission.
    Engine/tranny assemblies mounted with an approx 3degree downward angle used in conjunction with an upward pinion angle of appx 3 degrees seem to provide satisfactory results for many people. Other things may work sufficiently well in different applications but as a rule of thumb this is a good starting point.:);)

seb fontana likes this.
  3. rooman

rooman

I agree totally.

Roo

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

This keeps up you two are gonna need a room .....

seb fontana likes this.
  5. Moselli

Moselli

Along with Cowl Steering, this has been one of the more interesting topics I have followed on this informative, intellectual, eclectic opinions (not related to pinions) and always lively interactions.

As a project engineer in a chemical plant, I had the opportunity to work with a range of people, from the site manager down to the person who dumped the trash.

Here's what I learned in those years of working.
    1. In a perfect world, everyone would agree on everything.
    2. In a perfect world, everyone would have excellent communication and writing skills.
    3. In a perfect world...…
    4. It's not a perfect world.
    5. Everyone contributes something.
    6. My wife is always right....
    Regards,

Moselli

6. Come on man,,,
    The “starter motor pinion” is not an “engine pinion”

Parse it all you want.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ :D
    [​IMG]
    Engine/Pinion Gear Set: 600N, NP

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I don't know about spending the rest of your life on the shitter, but by the time a guy read this whole thread (and probably got thoroughly confused), he could have read a couple of those engineering papers and had a good basic knowledge of the fundamentals here.

Blues4U likes this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lets turn things 90 degrees. Now what? :p
    [​IMG]

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I was waiting for that ^^^^^^^!

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as the pinion shaft and trans output shaft are parallel (in both horizontal and vertical planes), the offset differential has no effect on setting a correct pinion angle. It sure does confuse some people though.

X-cpe and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. A toy Remote control helicopter
    90BC92B3-CCFB-4BFC-A621-A22A8B151487.png D16185A1-5CBE-41EA-B06B-B202D090F9B4.jpeg
    600n ^^

Wow, I thought you might have to go a lot further to get something

Johnny Gee likes this.
  13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

14. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I set my OT '69 GTX an extra 3 degrees nose down at the pinion per the instructions in the Direct Connection Racing Bulletin. The logic is that the pinion will try to "climb" the ring gear under power. I also use an adjustable pinion snubber. My '58 is 1-2 degrees nose down, both run / drive nice without any issues...

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    rockable likes this.
  16. Well I suppose it’s got something to do with a driveline and you set it 3 degrees down ?

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or the one that I am setting 7° up.

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31Vicky with a hemi and rockable like this.
  20. Nearly page five, ya got it yet?o_O JW

RMR&C likes this.
  21. 97

Well personally , I think your comments are extremely condescending and unnecessary. If you think you have a better command of the English language, use it to explain and educate those who have not been as fortunate as yourself.
    Lack of communication skills is rarely, entirely the fault of the person involved.
    I have met many people who think they know everything because they have been formally "educated", yet those who supposedly "should have paid attention in school" show them up time after time in practical application, innovation and invention .....they are people who are NOT confined and restricted by the chains of formal education. Many of these supposedly "poorly educated" people have used these skills in advancing hotrodding.

NoelC and ekimneirbo like this.
  22. clem

clem

I’m guessing you mean ‘paid’ , or was that a deliberate play on spelling ?

rooman likes this.
  23. rooman

rooman

It may just be "American english". I have lived in the US for 31 years and still struggle with "casted" for cast and "grinded" for ground. :(

Roo

clem likes this.
  24. clem

clem

I did think that before I posted.
    A bit like vice and vise ? Tires and tyres ? And a few more no doubt.

25. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Hey , at least I fired your sorry asses up enough so we didn't have to discuss rim color or if somebody's butt look big or some of the other innane be that seems to clutter these forums....

26. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, it does. Offsets both from the side and top view create compound working angles and need some calculations to arrive at correct (accurate) working angles. The link below will answer all U-joint questions, and should eliminate any confusion.

https://www.waterousco.com/media/wysiwyg/pdfs/content/J3311-1-DSSP.pdf

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure what's worse. "What's it worth?", "What pinion angle?" or "What's traditional?". Some things do not require an opinion, they simply have a measured standard or equivalent, some things are seldom communicated well or become a different "standard", many of which are cliche' or wive's tale level.

Simply stated, the O-pinion about A-pinion depends upon the angle of the dangle with the parts ya wanna wrangle. Pinion opinion will at times opine wildly, making one pine for some simple truth. Therefore, anglers have opinions upon what angle the rod should be yet have no opinion to share about pinion angles, so even fishing for the right answer in a forum board full of pals and smart ass types (hello!) can then have you trying to wrangle a part to the right angle. Now this doesn't mean everything is a right angle (90deg) but there's a right angle involved. Are we there yet?

Now if you did pay attention in school you can see by the gravitas expressed above that anything can become a complicated mess of excess thought and undue engineering research. I could have increased my verbal mileage by not bloviating (or was that pontificating?) what many are sometimes thinking when these things angle up in the form of a topic. I also feel good knowing that the majority reading this are now properly entertained in spite of the topic being almost as common as a McDonald's.

At the end of the day pinion angle is explained exactly as the diagram on the 1st page shows. At least that's my o pinion :cool:

NoelC, Chavezk21, warbird1 and 6 others like this.
  28. 26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Absolutely fantabulous pontificating , leave the bloviating to others more prone to such things

30. ARE WE THERE YET............well nearly at page five and the confusion continues!! :confused::confused: JW

Montana1 likes this.