Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What pleasure do you get driving your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exterminator, Aug 13, 2019.

1. exterminator

exterminator

I drove my 40 ford pickup today to the local Del Taco for lunch. Now I haven't had it going for around two years due to work on it. Now that it is running again, I feel once again like I did in High school except the cops are not pulling me over. Yeahhhh. Now in case you didn't know my truck is running a blower which I love- hearing the whine is a part of it. I get more enjoyment running errands and going for meals with it then going to a car show and sitting in the chair. Does anyone else feel that way or is it just me? o_OExterminator

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yep. Definitely.
    It’s more fun taking them out on an open road than any show.
    I get bored easily anymore.
    Maybe it’s my age.
    My pickup is my everyday driver in good weather.
    My coupe is usually out when going on long trips or taking my wife out to eat on the weekends.

3. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I don't go to car shows to sit in chairs. I go mostly to hang out with friends. And make new friends. And sometimes we sit in chairs. I'm planning a rebuild of my truck that will include an overdrive transmission to make driving it a lot more enjoyable.

Texas57, MO_JUNK, Cosmo49 and 3 others like this.
  4. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Ditto: I just love driving my cars, they are not show cars by any means but tons of fun going places in them.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I haven't driven my '40 since this morning and I haven't driven my Nomad since yesterday evening.
    I seldom go to shows. I often drive one or the other to work (70 miles round trip) or just take a drive out in the country in the evening. I've driven the '40 155 days so far this year and the Nomad 85.

6. 6sally6

6sally6

I love driving mine because.....it would never win anything as a 'show queen', it wasn't put together with that in mind.
    It has some bumps/warts/acne/occasional bad breath/farts in public/sometimes a rude buzzzz killer when it needs to be towed home a lot of things but definatly NOT a show car.
    It does still give me that funny feel'in in the scrotum when I kick in the secondaries and wring out the first 3 gears!
    I like how it makes me feel when I look through the windshield with 16 year old eye again!
    I like all the thumbs ups when I cruise by some old dude my age or older.(They remember when these things ruled the streets)
    I like how young kids stop and turn all the way around when I ease by with open headers!
    If I do go to a cruise-in/show...i'm usually that guy that's not by his car but looking at other guys hot rods
    6sally6

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have a LOVELY, fast D.D. if I want to drive it.
    I also have my primered '55 F100. I drive it every day, it's my 'Retirement Ride'.
    Not-so-boring 350 Chev with Comp cam, Vortek heads, Edelbrock intake makes for necks of onlookers snapping when I come out of the store, gas station, etc. and start it up. (usually 2 or 3 looking it over, inside and underneath the rear)
    I turn ign on, and just TOUCH the start. Rr-Whoom! Not 1/4 crankshaft revolution, it starts. Every time. (Mallory dual point)
    Always the "How's that start so fast?" I tell 'em, "I dunno...my wife works on it."
    I get the usual "UGGGHHH! Chevy in a Ford...Why would anybody do that?"
    "I learned it in Hot Rod Magazine, in 1955. Chevies are easier to put in than Fords are to put BACK in!"

8. butch27

butch27

9. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

I may be a little vain but seeing the reflection of my ride in plate glass windows as I drive by and thinking to myself what a cool looking car. That’s my biggest pleasure I get from driving my car.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I enjoy getting in, sitting down, shutting the door, starting up and driving away without a single donger, buzzer or warning light going off.

That and banging gears..

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I do that too...and it helps that we're SO good looking!

12. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

I have been driving my 55 every day all summer. I fell back in love with this car. The more I drive it the better it feels. I have 4 cars so I have to alternate just to keep them alive. Summers are short around these parts and before you know it they will be throwing salt all over Hell and it's the end of the party.

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

what else do you build a ride for but, to drive it? depending on insurance company & type of coverage, just running errands might not be covered in case of an accident.

Murphy32 likes this.
  14. Lots of grins per mile looking straight down the gunsights and listening to the blower whine.

15. I’ve always said- I don’t need a car show as a reason to drive my car

16. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I don’t go to a lot of shows I would rather just go for drive with not a lot of traffic. Going to a show Sunday ( pantowner ) mostly for the hour long drive and to park closer to the swap meet

17. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I don't do shows anymore, not even cruise nights. I just drive to the market or errands, trying to turn 76 into 16 again. Helps me deal with what life has dealt the missus and me. She is now in nursing home with memory issues but she still knows me and she knows the car and the good times we had in it. It is and will be our last hot rod.
    DSCN0174.JPG

18. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

What a great picture, Thank you for posting it.

19. I would rather drive one of the old cars than the daily drivers any day of the week and it's probably why I was driving my old beater today, it topped out at 101 degrees today!

And with the recent insulation and new interior it really wasn't that bad.

I love driving my old beater, it makes me happy. HRP

20. And that my friend is all that is important, bless you both! HRP

21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I enjoy driving mine because its just different.
    Oddly enough, I get one question every time its out: "what is it". Then they usually end up looking at the column shifter.
    Its just more fun than our newer cars with all the accessories and no soul and personality.

22. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

I enjoy looking at the reflection in store window too. I also just plain like to drive it, to the store , to the bank, or just for a weekend overniter.

23. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been driving antiques and hotrods ONLY for 52 years. I don't own a modern car. Does that answer your question?:)

24. All the great people I meet, that really makes it fun.

Texas57 and Murphy32 like this.
  25. prpmmp

prpmmp

Ditto! But who is that fugly guy at the wheel of my cool car? Pete

26. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I derive a lot of satisfaction from rolling down the road in something I built with my own two hands. I also enjoy the smiles and “thumbs up “ from other people on the road. Most importantly, the greatest pleasure has been the folks I’ve met along the way. Many have become great friends...

27. jazz1

jazz1

Because the windshield folds out and it has a cowl vent, cool summer options my daily driver don't have.

belair, 61Cruiser and Murphy32 like this.
  28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Remember the good times and keep smiling

29. I run a SBC in my Ford for a few reasons.. mainly because I had a good core at my shop. I know them better than Fords, so $$ and sense it was a good move. I went heavy on the short block, had someone put that together for me. Close to 10:1, tossed on Dart aluminum heads and a matching intake, big Holley and good enough cam. 4-speed M20 and 3.89 rear make it very responsive. For looks.. people look the other way. I may have the interior done over the winter.

chryslerfan55 and Legends47 like this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

It brings back happy memories from my youth, cruising was a big part of it, I still enjoy going for a ride. I believe Pete Chapouris said " When I drive my Hot Rod I'm not looking out with my 65 year old eyes, brings me back to a time in my life with 18 year old eyes" quote not exact but his thought. Years ago when I had a Roadster I would cruise around 1/2 the night on way home from a cruise night just to enjoy the ride, here in Wisconsin you get maybe 5/6 nights a year when weather is perfect for a Roadster. The travel to shows, anywhere, most times equals the destination fun for me. My wife and I have traveled across the country in our SUV and enjoy seeing our beautiful country, going through states we've not been to, taking in the sites, just enjoying it.

studebaker46 and chryslerfan55 like this.