Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1957 Chevy 150 Gasser Build "Midnight Special"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malibumonte78, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Geeez,..I was lookin forward to seein the car at Byron;...oh well, you got some nice wallhangers there,...good luck with the fix.

loudbang and malibumonte78 like this.
  2. southcross2631

southcross2631

The 477 might not make the torque of the 496, but they love to rev. I always ran Hamburger pans on my big blocks. Not too expensive and worked great.

3. Man I don't know how I missed this thread until now. Very kool lil 150 you've put together! Would love to see it run at the Hamb drags but I see that's not on your schedule. I drug home this 150 a month or so ago with plans to build a junior stock style drag car. After seeing yours I may take the 283 off the engine stand and freshen up my 468 lol! 20190427_120757.jpg That's my son, and crew chief, Squints.

Attached Files:

4. @Hubnut -
    Awesome! Love a 150 (wun-fiddy), and it looks solid. That young man looks ready to tear into it. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd give you a windshield.

5. Malibu -
    If it's any consolation, this was my first 490. Lost one piston, rod, oil pan, head, and the block. Told the Queen I'll rebuild it,better and faster. She said hmmmm the six million dollar engine... IMG_20150614_181038532.jpg

6. ^^^^^OUCH^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

7. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I love it! Junior stock builds are cool too. I might do that style with my '56 when I get to it. The Hamb drags are tough for me because it is always the week after I make my trip down to Bowling Green, KY for the Trifive Nats. I would love to make it down to Mokan at some point, though.

Knock Knock! Who is there? It me #1 Piston. Ouch that sucks. I've come to accept that it is just part of playing this game. Luckily my wife has been pretty accepting of this failure and has been helping me scrape up some funds.

8. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Motor is coming back together. Building a .100 over 454 (477) with 12.5:1 Ross pistons. Reusing crank and rods out of my old 454 and the top end off of the 496. Should make a pretty nice piece. I went ahead and dropped the 496 crank off at a machine shop and they think they can fix it. If so I will slowly start buying parts to put a 496 together for next year. I also heard back from J&W on my convertor and I had broke the sprag. Getting that taken care of and hopefully have it back next week. It might be possible that I have this thing back together in time for the Glory Days race!

9. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope to see you at Byron!

loudbang and enloe like this.
  10. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I’ve been following your build as I have a 57 2dr sedan and I really like your car I was hoping to see it at glory days as I was bringing my afx dodge but I felt your pain last Friday night as I broke a rod in the 440 so I’m out this year too but it will be on the plan for next year keep up the good work on your 57

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

benchseat4speed, loudbang and enloe like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That don't sound good Jackson.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

You may find that you will like that 477. The one I built had a .710 lift solid roller , with a Crower stack injection on alky in a 2800 lb. Nova. It ran 5.80's on motor and low 5.20 s on spray. With some untouched GM performance aluminum open Chamber heads.

13. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

That sucks Jackson. I seen pictures of your Dodge in the George Ray's thread, it is cool. Are you out for all year or going to try and get it back together for the fall event at George Ray's?

loudbang likes this.
  14. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Well I am going to have to recant my statement about making it to Glory Days. I am officially throwing in the towel. I have the short block assembled, but I found an issue with one of the heads. It had two bent valves that I had replaced, but I couldn't get them to seal after lapping them in. Discovered that I had cracked the head, chalk that up to the destroyed parts list. These were date matching GM 840 heads too. Luckily I had came across another set of mismatched square port heads cheap a while back and one happens to be an 840. So I am having that head machined and the parts swapped over, but it wont be done in time for the glory days race. Probably going to come down to a last minute thrash to make it to Tri5 Nats race just like last year. A good friend of mine tells me that I thrive on the thrash, not the way of life I would choose, but it is the hand that I am usually dealt.
    20190708_174526.jpg 20190708_174527.jpg

15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

No man I’ll be there in sept I’m working on getting the motor fixed now I was fortunate the block, crank and upper end is good new set of rods a couple pistons and a new cam will fix it so it will be back together soon just can’t make it to the glory days this year hope you come down to George rays this sept and bring this badass 57

16. With stock cars, we called it the flog... always a week-to-week adventure even if nothing big broke.

17. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Well that's good news. Yeah some of our group is trying to get together to come down there this fall. If everything goes good after I get this thing back together I plan on adding it to my schedule.

loudbang likes this.
  18. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Midnight Special lives again! Got it all back together in time to attend a race at Bonne Terre, Mo with the Nostalgia Gassers this weekend and then I will be headed to the Tri-Five Nationals next week. Excited to find out how it runs with the 477 and rebuilt convertor.

19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

malibumonte78, loudbang and enloe like this.
  20. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I had a successful test of the new 477 this weekend at Bonne Terre, Mo. I made four good passes. Coming off the destruction from my last trip to the strip I had some anxiety going in to this. Car did great, still pulls the wheels and runs real close to the number that the 496 did. In fact this slip is about identical to the first pass I ever made with the 496. I am much more comfortable back in the car now and ready to go to the Tri-five Nationals this week. Hoping for a good showing and to fulfill my two goals that I wasn't able to accomplish last year. Qualify for the quick 16 gasser shootout and run a pass in the 10's.
    20190806_112011[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20190806-112203_Messenger[1].jpg Sorry for the poor picture quality, It is a screenshot off of a video someone sent me in messenger.

21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I FOUND THIS TODAY.

22. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Thanks Enloe! I was about to share that video! Randy challenged me to that race Midnight Special vs. Midnite Express. I treed him, out 60 footed him, 1/8 miled, and 1/4 miled him. I kept waiting for the blower whine to come up on me, but it never happened! Fun race. I didn't realize he had a YouTube channel with a good following that I would end up on, but it works for me!

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

24. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Well it is that time of year again, time for a recap of my trip to the Trifive Nats with the Midnight Special. You might remember my goals were to qualify for the Quick 16 Gasser Shoot out, and make a pass in the 10's. Last year I came home with a 0% success rate, this year it is a 50% success. I did qualify for the shootout and even made it to second round before I got taken out. Unfortunately once again I came extremely close to making my 10 second pass and didn't get it done. I had an 11.03 pass, an 11.05, and an 11.07. The 60' and eight mile fell off a little from last Saturday at Bonne Terre, probably due to the altitude and humidity.
    Regardless I had a great time and me lots of new friends. I am lucky to have made it at all after blowing up the 496 in June. I am extremely happy with the 477 and that it is running almost the same numbers as the 496 and that it is still together! The highlight of the weekend was getting to give my 13 year old hot-rodding buddy Wyatt a ride around the pits in the car. He lives one town over and has also been to the nats all five years. He has his own 57 150 that he is building with his Dad. In February he was diagnosed with a rare form of Brain Cancer he is one of the toughest guys I know. The passes down the dragstrip are temporary, but making those connections with people at the track are permanent. 20190807_185654[1].jpg
    Pie crust slicks on for street driving and host hotel burnouts. Drove it from Beech Bend out to eat on Wednesday Night
    20190809_121615[1].jpg
    My new friend Robbie from AL in the Lost Wages '56 Chevy. Waiting for first round of qualifying.
    20190810_133406[1].jpg
    Karl Macke's 57 H/T. he lives one town over and we are both Wyatt's Warriors. Waiting for second round qualifying.
    FB_IMG_1565569171003[1].jpg
    Waiting for first round of eliminations.
    IMG_20190812_102213_903[1].jpg
    Kevin Doolittle's "Almost gone" '55 Chevy and me. 2nd qualifier pass. He treed me and I chased him down the whole track. He went 11.11 to my 11.05 but he got there first. One of the closest races I have ever run. Kevin went on to go the finals in the shootout, he got lucky and the faster cars that he got paired with all red lit.
    received_710575872727364[1].jpeg
    My Buddy Wyatt
    received_475004419980287[1].jpeg
    My Dad with Wyatt
    received_688379674906868[1].jpeg
    We got to make "fun runs" for two hours after the show was all over on Saturday night. I killed the slicks on my last pass.
    IMG_20190812_102213_904[1].jpg Three best passes for the weekend

Attached Files:

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I wanted to go so bad but couldn’t. Hopefully next year.

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

I told you that you would like that 477. Revs like a small block and makes good top end power.

27. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Additional Bangshift coverage today, More pictures and he mentions my name in the article.
    "Well, let’s start with the relevance of the Tri-Five Chevrolets sixty-odd years on…it would be very easy to lump this in as an old folks’ show but that isn’t the case. Sure, there are plenty of older folk who built these up years ago and are enjoying their youth over again, but there are plenty of young folk who just had to have one too. Guys like Monte Buck (the “Midnight Special” 1957 Chevy) and Boyd Howe (the “Red Baron” 1955 that charged at me with it’s wheels up like a pissed-off elephant) buck the meme-worthy sneakers and shorts and white hair crowd. And there’s no point in going after the older guys, either…many of them were ripping gears and kicking rears well before the young guys got their first Hot Wheels car."
    https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320...nals-simple-and-straightforward-to-the-roots/

28. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Hopefully you can make it next year Enloe, I would be glad to meet you!

29. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Wow I am way behind on updates here. I raced at three more races this fall and forgot to give you guys the recaps! The quick story is that I that I got to run three more weekends after the Trifive Nats. The first was the Fuel Altered Nationals back at Eddyville, Ia on Aug 17. The big deal at that race for me was lining back up with the car I was racing back in June when I blew up the motor and being able to make a complete pass against him. I also started a fun rivalry that weekend with a father son team from Hannibal, Mo that have a 55 two door wagon with a 555 BBC. We run identical 1/8 mile time 90% of the time. So we lined up a few times and it makes for an interesting drag race.

On Sept 8 we went to Rogersville Ozark Raceway Park (my first trip to that track) I took the whole family along and had a great time there.

Sept 14 was my final race of the year Central Illinois Dragway Fall Nostalgia Event. This was a great time in 2018 and 2019 didn't disappoint. Made my fastest pass yet with the 477 and got my 60' back into the 1.30's barely with a 1.39

I had a few more weekends I could of raced, but I had raced 7 weekends this year and stayed away from home and the kids 9 nights. Not to mention my honey do list was getting pretty long. So I decided to hang up the slicks for the year. I was able to get the car out one more time for the Rustoberfest car culture show and had a great time there. IMG_20191219_142502_994[1].jpg
    Finally was able to get a picture of my two '57s together before my race at Ozark
    IMG_20190911_084241_192[1].jpg
    Loved having my pit crew along at Ozark
    FB_IMG_1571057303769[1].jpg
    Fun at Rustoberfest

30. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Looking forward to the new year and already setting dates and making plans.
    So far the race schedule looks like this:
    April 24-25 I am hoping to make it to MoKan for the Funny Car Chaos event along with the Dirty South Gassers Group
    May 9 Nostalgia Rendezvous at Gateway with the NGRA
    May 29-30 Eddyville Funny Car Chaos with NGRA
    June 18-20 Holley Hot Rod Reunion Bowling Green, KY. I am hoping this will be the year I can finally make it to this race. This one is always tough because I already make one tow to BG for the Trifive Nats. The NGRA is trying to set it up so our group will be racing there and I really want to make it. I might have to find someone to sponsor me, but am going to try and make it.
    July 17-18 Glory Days at Byron.
    Aug 13-15 Trifive Nationals at Bowling Green

In addition to scheduling races I am also making plans to improve the car. Going to pull the motor after Christmas and freshen it and take some time to do a few things I skipped this summer in the rush to get it back together. I also plan to add a steering stabilizer and a few other minor odds and ends.
    The last thing I am wanting to upgrade is my valve covers. I am up on the air on what I want to get, I want a cool vintage or vintage styled cover, but I don't want to spend a fortune. If anyone following along here has any that they want to sell let me know.
    Merry Christmas Friends!