Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bear claw latch “D” rather than a pin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi 4d, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checking in to ask if anyone has made or has info on the pillar mount bear claw latch pin. We want to use a “D” rather than a pin , our seats are behind the B pillar somewhat and I can sure see jean belt loops getting caught on a pin when you squeeze between steering wheel and pillar. Leaping out and you come to a screeching halt , or your jeans come down.
    Did a cruise of junk yards but most Ds are too small diameter for the aftermarket bearclaws . We need 1/2” . Not averse to fabricating something , but any tips or pictures appreciated on what you have done or seen.

2. Check with @38Chevy454.He makes and sells them,might could help.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  3. Thanks for the plug. I don't have any of the D shaped catches for the striker. There is no reason that you could not fabricate what you need though. The problem will be to accommodate the adjustment for door gap and closing.
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

I made one out of a large chain link and welded it to a plate

X-cpe and Kiwi 4d like this.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope flagged away the “D” idea as it intruded too far into the car .
    I never realised but modern car “D” latches none seem to adjustable . My DD had a door that needed adjusting ,so the only way was with a BFH.

6. The pins are longer than needed also so I just machined down the (shank) and also removed the cup style washer .
    All for the same reasons

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes agreed , the pin can be shortened maybe 1/4” and still have good engagement.

8. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

1997 and up jeep TJ has the latch you want.

They will still grab belt loops but don't tend to tear skin with it.