Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Want to sell it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would say that happens all too often when the excess spendable cash brigade who are all into having the latest "cool thing" of the moment that is in vogue with their peer group.
    The guy has the new high buck charger, Probably has a Harley or two in the back corner of the garage from when he and his buddys rode every weekend for a season or two and his Daytona and Sturgis shirts in the drawer from that period. He can pull a photo of his ski boat that he sold along with the lowered dualie he pulled it with that he had before the bikes and the Corvette he had before the boat. He never got into street rods because having one built the way he would have wanted by The region's top shops would have meant a two year wait and the instant gratification thing went down the dumper. Now some of his buddies are running patina rods that they drive hard and are having a blast doing it and he wants in on that. He may decide he needs a off road exploration rig aka 4x4 or 6x6 rv next though.

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

why is it? I have a bunch of cars for sale, no one ever stops me and asks "is it for sale?"

Attached Files:

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Probably due to the brand of manufacture ;):)

4. catdad49

catdad49

Not Nice, Blue! Maybe he needs a "Not For Sale" sign.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. BJR

BJR

Put a not for sale sign on them and people will start offering you cash!

catdad49, HOTRODPRIMER and Montana1 like this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If there is enough money offered, I would have to sell, especially if enough is offered to replace what I am selling, with enough left over to make it even better. Someone's stupid money would certainly make me a seller.

chrisp, Boryca, Roothawg and 4 others like this.
  7. 66gmc

66gmc

A couple weeks ago I was in the garage working on my 36 chevy truck(not for sale). I heard something with a healthy v8 stop in front of my house, so I walked outside and there was a 36 chevy truck parked out front. I had a "what the hell" moment until I saw the guy standing in my driveway looking at my 66 gmc, turns out he was just driving around looking for vehicles to buy. I had nothing for sale at the time, but Im always more enthusiastic about selling stuff to people that are driving an old vehicle. People that show up driving brand new cars or trucks have to pay full price.

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

AMEN, Brother!

9. You my friend, have got them pegged! HRP

TomT, dirty old man, jaw22w and 3 others like this.
  10. I have to say at my age, if the money was enough I would probably sell. I have two, so it would not be a big deal and I would then start building another hot rod. I get every bit of enjoyment from building as I do driving. Maybe more. Any Offers?:p

11. jim snow

jim snow

I have been asked about the coupe. My reply is that I ain’t gonna put a price on it. But if you want to make an offer you better knock me over . Hasn’t happened yet.Snowman

Thor1, Deuces, 31hotrodguy and 2 others like this.
  12. Mimilan

Mimilan

That is similar to putting a "for sale" sign on roadside trash, people will steal it.

My husband gets asked all the time if his race car is for sale

The reality is Everything is for sale!

But 90% of the time, the person asking is a "Wannabe" trying to rub shoulders with the Hotrodders or Racers.

A serious buyer will ask you for your permission to call you after the meeting/show

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    weps, Deuces, jim snow and 1 other person like this.
  13. I was at Pate Swap Meet in Fort Worth Texas looking at parts spread out on table. Guy says "everything here is for sale". I smiled big grin n said I was interested in the blonde. He says no, he has too much invested in the wife! I guess not everything has a price.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D He calls himself Mr. Chevrolet I’d say that’s a big enough handicap :D:D ;)

clem, catdad49, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  15. 48ford

48ford

Never put a price on something you want to keep

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

^^ selling when offered more than you expected is not always bad - many years back a friend of a friend was visiting from Southern California - we were all together at a big car show - he bought four cars for his own collection that weekend - 2 had For Sale signs, and two just offered the right price at the right time and took them all home -

17. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

This just happened in Louisville.... I recently finished my 54 Chevy and it was in the ARP booth . Five guys walked up and were looking at the car. One says "wanna sell it?" No I replied , it's not for sale. "Everything is for sale" he says, "how much you got in it?' Then he takes a pretty good guess as to how much I have in it in parts... "That's pretty close I suppose " I say... He offers me 20K more than that to which I replied " Now go ahead and triple that number!" His eyes got real big and I said "got your attention now don't I !!!" End of discussion !

18. 1ton

1ton

Well, for me, there is a price. I've already decided what my buy it now as is price is. I tell them "That's the price, pay it or don't. I don't care". I've instructed my 18 year old son to sell the truck I gave him for $25000 minimum. It's worth about $15000. Truck is a bone stock 1977 k10 short bed 400 sbc, th400 trans with A/C . Factory rallye's with no lift at all. He absolutely love's that truck but for 25 G's? Nyeah.....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I sell everything.
    I have zero sentimentality.

redoxide, 13below0, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

My Buddy wanted my 32 real bad . It’s not for sale , too many memories . He rode up on his Harley one day , gets off opens the saddle bag gets out a brick wrapped in aluminum foil . HE comes in the garage opens his bill fold hands me two titles , and this brick that contains 15 K . He says “ this the title to my 30 Flathead powered pickup and my 50 Chevrolet Coupe , you can have either title and 15K or both cars for the 32 . “ I told him “ your my Buddy , my car is not worth what you are asking me to do . It’s a nice 32 , you have two nice cars and made a sweet offer , but it’s not for sale .” It was tough , I really thing I hurt his feelings , but it just isn’t for sale .

21. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Look Forward To A Pushy Dealer Trying To Run A Deal And Tell Them " DSCN1841.JPG Why Would I Sell It Because I Will Just Have To Go Get Another And Fix Everything On It"...End Of Interview...

22. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's why I build Morris Minor's. Nobody else wants them and I don't have answer stupid questions.

41 GMC K-18, Thor1, Andy and 7 others like this.
  23. dan31

dan31

Dang Mr48chev, that was like some kind of FBI profile stuff right there. I think you just about summed it up .

24. I love to build, but hate to maintain, so all offers are considered if it gives me enough cash to start another build.

chrisp, 31hotrodguy, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  25. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I don't get attached to my cars so everything is for sale depending on price and THEIR attitude.
    One guy asked about my '54 F-100. He walked up and asked me the price and I told him. He then proceeded to tell me what all it needed and how much it would take to get it to his house. After all that, he asked what I would take for it. I just smiled and added $20,000.00 to what I originally told him. He walked away in a huff.

I am of the opinion that some T V shows are promoting the "lets make a deal" or "gas monkey" method of buying the norm.

26. X-cpe

X-cpe

In some ways this thread amuses me. How many times have we been the guy that sees a car peaks our interest and been the one to ask the question? There have been threads where someone has chased a car for years and finally gets it. Everyone posts congratulations. Other times they piss and moan about someone who won't sell a car as they watch it disappear into the ground. That person may have some, unknown to you, attachment to it as strong as yours is to your car. I think the difference is the politeness and respect we show when the answer is negative as opposed to the arrogance and disrespect others show when politely told no. Of course from what I've seen on the HAMB most of us can more than hold our own when confronted with arrogance and disrespect.

27. I will go out on a limb and say most of us at one time or another have stopped and knocked on a door having seen a car or truck sitting in one spot without a license plate for years, I know I'm guilty and for the most part I have run into pleasant people.

The story's of why the car is sitting varies but there is always some sort of attachment to the car.

I would never try belittle anyone and I believe the majority of the people here are the same. HRP

28. I completely agree, but you forgot the latest fad (at least around here). This would be the brand new, lifted Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I could have sold my car 20 times, it’s not for sale.
    I won’t put a number on it either, deal with my wife if I check out.

30. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Not car related but , I finally broke down and took the old Harley for a ride . I stopped at the local drug store to pick my parents meds and deliver them . My parents live 5 miles from me . As I pulled out of my drive I noticed behind me come two other bikes . I turn into the drug store and the two follow me . It was a guy on a new Indian and his girl on her Bad Boy . He says “ I’ll trade up straight up yours for mine .” I stood there and ask are you mechanical ? He looks at me like I have 3 heads . He still insists , “ I’ll trade you straight up .” Finally I say OK , I’ll let you be sure you want it , start it . After about 5 kicks , he says “ well Hell I cant start it !” I showed him it has a mind of its own , you have to read its mind and it will go . I kicked it once it lit and ran like a Swiss Watch . He stands there lookin stupid . I told him “ it’s not for sale , you enjoy your ride with your girl, and I will keep this old Bastard it keeps my head clear anyway , and gives me another reason to attend church to beg for forgiveness !”