Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 coupe SBC bell housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Aug 10, 2019.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I am in the process of mocking up a 32 Ford coupe for a 327 Chevrolet engine and BW 4 speed T10 trans. I need to buy a bell housing. My question which would be the best bell housing to use for this swap?

2. town sedan

town sedan

If you've got to buy, maybe a scatter shield can be made to fit.
    -Dave

Oldioron likes this.
  3. There were a couple of different bellhousings for the SBC. Determine what flywheel/clutch diameter you will be using, as that will narrow down your search. The large diameter accomodating bellhousings are usually high performance applications, and can cost more. Ask around in your area, and you should be able to find what you need. Often, someone will have used "packages" laying around, after upgrades or swaps.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Tell us how you intend to drive your 32.

Charlie Chops 1940 likes this.

5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Stock GM aluminum bellhousing for 10.4" clutch have a casting number ending in 383 and 403. This number can be found opposite of the throwout fork cutout. For 11" clutches you can use a 621 bellhousing which is a little pricey because of the resto crowd...or the later version number ending 697, which is exactly the same. They used the 697 pretty late..I think till 1981 or so in the Camaros and Corvettes.

Algoma56 likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Nice info. If OP is only making a driver a stock 10.4 would help in the space department and floor pan.

RICH B likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Depending on various components and style of throwout fork actuation planned, the "7:00" style belhousing can be a real problem solver if room is tight, the most well known belhousing is the 64-67 ChevyII/Nova (V8) version, casting #3849309, Lakewood makes a scattershield for this application also, both are generally more money than the standard 9:00 version, the 7:00/9:00 callout relates to where the throwout fork exits the belhousing.

Rich B. likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

My little bro has the same combo in his 32 coupe (except he uses a Muncie instead of a T-10) and he bought a new Lakewood bellhousing. But, I think he has 10 second dreams. Might be a little overkill for the street.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

My plan is for street driven use with around 300 HP.

11. X-cpe

X-cpe

How tight you going to wind it?

12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'm no expert and believe an OEM housing will be more than sufficient. The advantage over a Lakewood / Ansen style scattershield is that OEM isn't bulky as the rear is tapered rather than being square, a definite bonus when it comes to your floor, firewall and toe-board area. It can get cramped in the foot-well area!