Register now to get rid of these ads!

HEMI Tech- Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Niksramjet

Niksramjet

Will do, Sorry for the confusion. Just trying to get the widest dissemination.
    Thanks.

2. monc440

monc440

Hi Guy's going to look at a Hemi today. The block casting shows 1619829 for 354 and the stamp has an M for marine however is is stamped M35 4-2020. Any ideas? The only reference I can find for marine are all M45-- The head casting number is also 354 but no water outlets, I thought that was only 331 heads? Please see pics below.

block casting.jpeg Block stamp.jpeg head casting.jpeg on stand.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  3. George

George

The Marine, Industrial & truck engines are like the 51-54 car engines, heads, oil pan, ect. What intake? tuck & marine are different from each other & from car intakes.

4. monc440

monc440

Thanks George

The engine doesn't come with an intake. Everything is disassembled and I believe it is a mix and match of parts. It comes with the block, crank, rods, pistons, 2 sets of heads, 2 transmission adapters. When I go look at it I'm going to get casting numbers off everything to see what I'd be in for if I buy it.

5. 73RR

73RR

No real mystery. The photo showing the end of the cylinder head clearly shows the truck 'pad'. If you remove the spacer gizmo on the intake rail you should find the tall water passage at the center where pass car heads have exhaust passage. The 'spacer' on the front is typical of the truck water pump being raised up a wee bit to get the fan higher.

30dodgeboy likes this.
  6. George

George

Why would a 354 block need a spacer?

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Someone was probably making a manifold.

8. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

Being an industrial engine it may have gears for the cam timing instead of a chain.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My contribution, others with more knowledge can clarify. Hemi ID.jpg hemi-engine-block.jpg

51 mercules and town sedan like this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

Agreed, likely a u-fab project.

Trucks usually had gears but nothing shows in the pics and a pass-car cam is the usual cam used.

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure there is a car/truck/industrial crank in that mix.

Dedicated marine cranks are ever so slightly different, necessating a trip to a crankshaft shop, to fix it.

On a land going vehicle, there is a slight step in the snout for the timing chain sprocket. It is not there on a dedicated marine crank.

They run their drive on the "front", and all accessories are gear-driven.

A good crank shop can make the step "appear" there.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

town sedan likes this.
  13. In_Benzin_Veritas

In_Benzin_Veritas
    from Toronto

Can anyone help with this serial number? I can't find info on the "C55" beginning
    AZVQmWA+T%Ck9H1BxZMapA.jpg 7tx4EqCTTzygRhTYF010eg.jpg

milwscruffy likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Um, 1955 Chrysler 331, but I did not need the code for that.

It has the extended block, so it is an early 331. There were some later ones with a rear block face like a 354 or 392.

It is certainly a Chrysler. That's about the only way that they came. Two-barrel.

C55 is Chrysler, 1951.

Refresh what needs to be refreshed, put it in, and go have some fun!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023
  15. In_Benzin_Veritas

In_Benzin_Veritas
    from Toronto

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I assumed is as a '55 but was confused as I though the 331 lost the integrated bell housing / "extended block" in 1955. Didn't the heads change in 54-55 too to larger valves?

I couldn't find any examples that specifically start with "C55-XXXXX"

16. A 55 331 Hemi would not have the extended bell housing. The last extended bell was done by early in 1954, most likely a leftover 53 engines. Maybe the bate code is a mis stamping.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  17. George

George

C55 is a 51-2 Saratoga engine.

18. In_Benzin_Veritas

In_Benzin_Veritas
    from Toronto

No kidding ?!
    Wonder why they serial number start with “C55” you’d think it would be “XX51 / XX52”

19. 73RR

73RR

For whatever reason, some engines were stamped with the vehicle model code. You can fine these codes in the front section of a FSM or parts book.
    Yup, kinda weird, but that's MaMopar.

20. George

George

Long tails were 51-4. '55 331 code was CE55. The long tails were 2 bl engines with round ex ports. '54 4 bl were oval, still solid ends on the head. '55 had bigger valves & water ports in front.

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stand corrected.

22. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Hi, looking for some help with a serial number on a 392 block. It's N357404 CAL which doesn’t match up with anything I’ve been able to find. I did see a similar number on a block in another thread but there were no details on it. I'm guessing the 4-25-7 may be an April 25th 1957 casting date? I don’t know what the C and C5 represent though. Here’s a couple of pics.
    IMG_1460.jpeg IMG_1461.jpeg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  23. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that to be a replacement engine, when they installed it in the car they stamped it with the car's serial number.
    This makes sense because N357404 is correct for a Detroit built 1957 New Yorker.
    This theory is backed up by the very late production date of 4-26-57, by then the original engine could've been in service for 6+ months and have already been damaged.

As to the CAL meaning, that could be an internal Chrysler designation, I don't know.

Ultimately, as long as the block is magnafluxed and the bores look good, I think you have a great piece. Really all 1957-58 392ci Hemis are equal from a casting point of view, it's the internals that changed depending on the model/year.

24. Racingsnake

Racingsnake
    from So Cal

Thanks, that does make sense

25. 73RR

73RR

The 'other' clue is that the stamp is not viewed from the front but the rear. I'll guess that someone sat on the block when they were working on the numbers.

caprockfabshop likes this.
  26. pitco

pitco
    from ny

I hope you won't mind too much if this question is in the wrong spot. I am going to look at a 354 hemi truck engine which i would like to build just a little hotter than stock and was wondering what complications the truck engine may cause. I know the water jackets are not the same but not sure what this means as far as parts or general tech. Thanks This is all new to me.

27. George

George

Go to "Hemi Tech Index", the main page. Mostly similar to the 331 car hemis