Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What we all probably need to do...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Aug 9, 2019.

1. 396/425

396/425

What we probably all need to do......is get our dead a$$es out of the recliner, find some motivation.... and finish our hot rod projects. We might be old...but we all have the ability to finish something if we want it bad enough.

seadog, dana barlow, jim32 and 13 others like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've got a feeling I'd get more done if I didn't have this damn interweb thing.

3. boutlaw

boutlaw

I don't even have a recliner, you can call home and ask my wife.

4. I'm able to drive all three of my cars. my tools are all back in there proper place, the shop is in order, I'm going home today. kick back in my recliner and watch a few episodes of gunsmoke. :D HRP

5. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

This did not particularly strike me as an inspirational message. You make it sound as
    if many of the members are just lazy or complacent. I'm thinking this is your response
    to another thread questioning our enjoyment of the car hobby these days at our ages.
    As I read that thread I realized I'm not as thrilled with the car world as I have been for
    the past sixty years. Costs, greed and shady deals all play a part in my disenchantment
    with things as they currently are and that bothers me. Yes, I'm older but not much
    wiser. I dig all sorts of cars but not all of the different personalities of their owners.
    My wife asked yesterday why I didn't buy a Corvette I was recently interested in and
    can afford. I couldn't give her an answer. Laziness is not part of the equation.

6. HRP, it sounds like you need a new project! lol

Stogy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 396/425

396/425

No offense meant whatsoever....I know I can’t be the only one who needs a kick in the butt once in awhile to keep things moving along.

8. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Part of my problem is that for forty plus years I repaired and built/rebuilt cars for others and myself and I an having a hard time working on my own now that I've retired.
    Even doing an oil change on my driver seams to be out of my skill set these days.

2OLD2FAST, Joe Travers, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  9. Time and Money... I never seem to have both at the same time
    Chappy

2OLD2FAST, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. I still would like to build another roadster, but I have other more pressing things to take into consideration, I need to sell the '50 coupe to help finance the remodeling of the house addition garage for our daughter. HRP

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Crawling around underneath on the ground has lost some of the fun in recent years. Getting down on the ground isn't too bad, but I think gravity has increased or sumthin' it isn't as easy getting back up again. Weird.

12. 3340

My feelings exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the way it is for me! I twisted wrench’s for most of my life! During that time, I collected cars, trucks, tractors, things, for my retirement. Have over a hundred things that move. Figured when I had the time, I’d be all over them having fun! But since I retired.....I even take my DD to town to have the oil changed! Doesn’t always work out the way you plan!

Bones

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"The cobblers son has no shoes" kind of thing huh.

15. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

As I write, I am indeed sitting in my recliner. I am thinking about going out to the garage. I think about getting my project finished,constantly. Fortunately, lack of money or time is not the problem. It is a job getting this almost 72 yr. old pain riddled, arthritic , geriatric body up and moving. The motivation and desire are still there, just slowed............somewhat.

2OLD2FAST, Joe Travers, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You need to take advantage of the situation when
    under the hot rod on a creeper . Closely inspect everything that normally doesn't get seen, then take a nap to dream about what you want to do.:D

3340, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

Seems as though I do a lot more thinking than doing. Every once in a while I get a wild hair and get something done that has been on my list, Wish I could figure out what triggers that hair! Danny, what channel is Gunsmoke on?!

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I had a roomie in the .mil who moonlighted as a bouncer at a strip club. He got into a lot of trouble because he was caught sleeping all the time. One of his favorites, when we were at the motor pool for maintenance day or whatever, he'd crawl under a truck, lay on his back and tangle his hands in the linkage so from a distance it looked like he was working on something, and take a nap. This actually worked for a while.

19. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

It's all too easy to stay in the chair, watch others in build threads and YouTube work on their projects to get your vicarious enjoyment.

Stogy likes this.
  20. catdad49

catdad49

Truck, I can relate to your roomie's delimma! Too much partying for me.

21. I retired in 2012 and spent the next 2 years adding a new front porch and a additional room on the back of the house, the new siding and pouring a new 600 ft concrete driveway, then building a new shop and my 1932 Ford pickup.

Then Brenda came to me and said she wanted to get back in the flower business and I saw it as a opportunity to get some rest so I backed her and became her accountant and book keeper and took the position as CEO.

Having been the owner of a business the majority of my life I like getting up and going to work every day, it's not meny people that can say they sleep with the boss! :D

I still enjoy my time in the shop but in the last few years I have learned to pace myself, it's rare to find me in the garage after 8 PM during the week, the days of the marathon wee hours of the morning builds asre a thing of the past. HRP

rockable, seadog, Joe Travers and 6 others like this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

to really kick things off I need to win a large lottery pot and go crazy spending it on cars, etc

Stogy likes this.
  23. Me any you both! HRP

Stogy and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I’m not old or lazy, I just have three kids under 9 and a job. :)

I try to get a little in every night and more on weekends but gotta admit those little people have taken priority over the cars. :D

2CCF7DE9-B4BE-4505-960B-C522C5EBB6FB.jpeg

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I am very rarely sitting in front of the tv, not usually till about 10pm and I'm getting ready to hit the sack, I'll watch a little tv to slow down from the days activities.

Besides the 40 hr day job as a lube engineer I am a musician that plays shows about 1 or 2 nights a week, plus weekends, plus rehearsals, individual practice, and all the damn band promotion takes considerable time. And I have a side business fixing/modifying vintage & vintage style tube guitar amps. I have people sending me their amps from all over the country for me to perform my work on them and ship them back. I even sell parts kits for those that want to do the work themselves. And that means I get to spend a lot of time on email answering questions. And being a home owner there is always more that needs taking care of than I have time to do, and the honeydo list never gets caught up. I'm also on the Board of Education at my church, was at a meeting last night from 7 - 9. And then there's the cars. Well, both are running well right now and don't need anything to enjoy them, but I have projects in mind for both, and I slowly get them done, a little at a time. I really don't spend as much time on the cars as I should, but it's not because I'm sitting on my ass in front of the tv.

26. 2935ford

2935ford

It's been over two weeks since I was out in the shop. My friend who helps me was away and the motivation for me was there but other family things had to be done.
    Got out there this morning with my friend and right back to it! :)

Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  27. X-cpe

X-cpe

Sounds like you're back in high school. That was my students' lives. Job = money but no time. No job = time but no money.

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I like to go out and lay under my car, it's the coolest place in my garage. The concrete stays nice and cool and the fan blows a nice breeze. Headed that way right now.

29. fordflambe

fordflambe

I'll get out there, right after i finish my nap.............

30. 6sally6

6sally6

Truck I REALLY like your by-line at the bottom of your posts!!!!!!!! Cracked-me-up.
    6sally6

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Truck64 like this.