Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects parts list: '31 fenders, running boards, etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Aug 8, 2019.

1. atch

atch

I've inherited a 1931 Model A two door sedan. I saw the car last week and it's scheduled to be delivered to me next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Unfortunately it had been partially disassembled. Everything associated with fenders, running boards, splash aprons, etc., is missing. I've never had a Model A before and don't know what specific parts I'll need. Please fill in anything that I don't list that I'll need to put all this stuff back on the car.

LF fender
    RF fender
    LR fender
    RR fender
    left splash apron
    right splash apron
    left running board
    right running board
    headlights and bar
    tail lights

That much even a novice like me can figure out. I know that there must be many brackets and bolts and such that I'm missing in addition to the above. Would someone please list the rest of the parts I'll be needing? I'd like to begin acquiring these pieces. I'm guessing that buying a piece here and a piece there it probably will take me quite a while to collect all of this. Of course it would be quite a coup to find all of this at one time in one place.

Everything associated with fenders, running boards, splash aprons, etc., is missing.

b-t-w; I searched and came up empty. If there's someplace I should have looked please direct me there.

And before anyone suggests I run it hi-boy style let me say I live on a gravel road and insist on reinstalling fenders.

If you think you're having deja vu it might be because I put this over on the Ford Barn also.

Thanx again.

I've never done a build thread. Shoot, I've never built a hot rod. Clarence is where he is due to modifications here and there over the 46 years I've owned him. When it's appropriate I'll think about doing a build thread on the Model A.

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

If the front fenders are nice and don't have spare tire wells, save yourself a lot of work and just sell them to me! ;)

Lynn

3. X-cpe

X-cpe

Try a Brattons or other Model A parts house catalog. Some had exploded views if I remember right. Some of them are on line.

4. 1ton

1ton

Just to be clear. You have all the fenders, running boards, etc....What you don't have is the mounting hardware and such? If that's the case, go with what X-cpe said.

5. atch

atch

I have NOTHING.

Let me repeat my original post: "Everything associated with fenders, running boards, splash aprons, etc., is missing."

What I listed in my OP are the parts that I know I need. I'm looking for information about what I need IN ADDITION to what I listed.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Your going to need front fender braces, back fender braces and four running board braces.
    The front splash apron that rides between the frame horns and hood shelf’s that sit on top of the front rails on top of the fenders under the hood sides.

30/31 are not the same parts as 28/29. The only parts that are sedan only are the rear fenders/ fender braces

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

I guess I mis-read what you were asking. I thought you have everything you listed and were wondering what else you'd need. Tim's list looks like a good start to what you had listed. In addition to those braces, etc. it's mostly just small bolts to hold it all together. Splash aprons go between body and frame so the body will need to be slightly lifted to get them in place. Front splash apron/frame bolts are countersunk heads so they are probably not a hardware store item.

Snyders Model A parts has an extensive listing of various hardware but I didn't see any blow-up drawings of how everything is put together. Probably something out there but I've not looked for such drawings.

Lynn

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  8. atch

atch

Thanx everyone.

So far; so good.

The body will be off anyway at some point. The frame under this thing was built over 35 years ago by two of my friends. And even though it has not seen the light of day from then 'til we took it out a couple of weeks ago it still has surface rust from humidity in the shop where it was. At most times the shop didn't run heat or A/C. I'll have to totally disassemble the frame and running gear to clean/paint every part.

As a teaser until I start working on it and documenting it:
    The frame was built with '32 rear horns and a '32 gas tank; the rear is a '57 nine inch; the rear springs are coils with the shocks inside them; it currently has a GM V-6 (the one that's a SBC minus the back two cylinders) with a Zips water pump riser; '32 grill/shell; full hood; 5-spoke Americans (the wheels and tires are all "brand new" but 35 +/- years old with about 50 feet of travel on them); Super Bell tube axle with disc brakes (also 35 years old and brand new); and miscellaneous other parts and pieces.

While some of this stuff isn't what you and I would choose if building from scratch today, I'm going to keep all of it in deference to my friend who left it to me. It was his vision 40 years ago and I'm not going to change it. All, that is, except the V-6. The V-6 wasn't the first engine he had put into it but was put in about 25 years ago just before he got distracted and started working on other projects. While I might keep it most likely it'll get one of the multitude of engines I have laying around my shop. The most likely candidate is the 425/switch pitch T-400, all of which needs rebuilt. There are other options too; some with automatics and some with 4-speeds.

So the logic behind looking for the fenders et. al. now is that I have a while to be accumulating this stuff while the body will be off.

Tim likes this.
  9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Bratton's is a good source for Model A parts and has many exploded parts views in their catalog.

10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The front fenders, aprons, and boards are different between 30 and 31. You will have to learn the difference or rely on a seller being knowledgeable. The main difference is that on the 30 the apron is 2 piece, with the front part normally spot welded to the fender. The 31 has a long 1 piece apron, similar to the 28-29 design.

As far as I can tell, all the running board braces are interchangable from 29 to 31 (excluding big truck). There are a few stamping differences, but dimensionally the same. The front braces are longer than the rear. IIRC the fronts can be switched side for side, but the rears have a left and right.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in the exact same boat with my 31 Victoria. someone took the front fenders off or torched them off along with torching the splash aprons right below the body line.
    The car had been wrecked years ago and then rolled on it's side to remove the running gear.
    I was thinking highboy on 32 rails as a 32 frame from one of our Hamb frame builders is the same as fenders and running boards from Brookville. Not cheap either way.
    A local to me guy has Glass 30/31 fenders and running boards for sale for a decent price off a sedan that are interesting but I have to sell something to be able to buy anything right now.

12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

13. fenders front
    fenders rear
    running boards
    splash aprons
    head light bar
    front fender supports
    running board supports
    rear fender supports
    running board mat and edging kit
    hardware for attaching everything
    welting front fender to top of frame
    welting splash apron to top of frame
    welting rear fender to body
    welting headlight bar to fender
    welting body to splash apron
    tail lights and brackets (including welting and hardware)
    here are some pics from an old for sale ad in the market place
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ford-fenders-aprons-boards-lights-etc.932302/

14. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

You mentioned the frame was built years ago. Is it a stock frame with the 9" and Superbell axle or a home made frame altogether? If so you will most likely have to modify the stock brackets and sheet metal to get it all back together. Around here Model A fenders & running boards are cheap I took a full set of fenders to a swap meet a while back $100 for all four, not perfect but savable - no takers.

15. 1ton

1ton

I think I have rear fenders for you. I'll dig them out this weekend and if I remember correctly, they are perfect.

16. atch

atch

So the front fenders are different from '30 to '31. Will they fit each other though? i.e., I have a '31 (per the title); will '30 splash aprons fit the '31 body/fenders/running boards?

Thanx for the list.

According to the two friends who built the frame (from scratch) they built it so that stock items will bolt up to it.

Watch for a PM.

17. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

30 splash aprons will not fit a 31 fender. The 30 fender has half of the splash apron attached to it. It is basically a two piece splash apron.
    Did you look at the Craig's list posting in post 12#, It looks like they have every part you need.

18. atch

atch

Looks like he/she has lots of stuff.

Thanx for the link.