Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What year transmission is this????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatheadfreakv8, Aug 8, 2019.

1. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

Need some help to identify the year of this transmission. The only numbers I can find are on the last picture. I’m hoping to use this behind my 241 hemi for my 32 coupe. Please let me know what I have here, I am not a transmission expert but found it close near by and the price was right.

Attached Files:

2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Looks like 36?and later trans.has the later syncros in it

clem likes this.
  3. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

How can you tell?

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Look under the right rear of the trans case. There are numbers there, tell what they are and we will provide positive info.

5. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

6. flatheadfreakv8

flatheadfreakv8

Here is a picture, that think it’s a 37?

Attached Files:

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

So, it’s got the ‘39 and later gear set with the good 2/3 assembly. It’s also has the “78” case, this will take all clutches.

There is a VIN number over the opening in the case, you cleaned it up some. That will tell you the year of the case. VIN lookup here,
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

There are some numbers on the shift cover also, clean them up. How wide is the 2/3 shift fork, inside of the forks.

Got a pic of the rear of the transmission, mount and such?

Cliff Ramsdell

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Cliff is right, I just went thru looking all that up, have a 40 Merc side shift trans and was planning on using the internals from it to build a trans for my Model A pickup. Have the adapters and want a synchronized behind the banger. Vanpelt has a section on transmissions that has a lot of information.

9. Mac VP

Mac VP

Everything you ever wanted to know about early Ford 3 speed transmissions is right here on our website. Breaks it down into various categories. The photos of the shifter housing that the OP shows don’t make it clear if the shifter tower is the 36-38 type, or a 39 housing. He can figure all this out from the links:

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_transID_3speed.htm

warbird1 likes this.
  10. 97

Your site has the most clear and easy to follow technical information about flatheads in the entire WWW. I always send people there who are asking these type of questions. An invaluable resource. A great place to buy parts too. All I can say is thank you for your time and effort Mac.