Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Always bring Baling Wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 2, 2019.

1. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Nice twists and didn't break the wire by twisting too tight either. Sure you wasn't a farmer in you previous lifetime?

Okie Pete likes this.
  2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yes it is. Great way to stabilize corner posts when building fence back in the day.

Okie Pete likes this.
  3. Lost a costly spanking new Brockman mellow tone because I used a coat hanger to temporally hold it in place. I heard it fall off & since I live on a golf coarse very little road traffic I figured I would pick it up on my way back. I was just going to the parts house. On the way back it was gone. I guess some golfer has a hotrod, told self never again use a coat hanger.
    Lost the hood on the 32 in Az (Tuba City area)on a road trip . Wind danced across the hi-way & out in the cactus. I retrieved it & walked the road until I found some barbed wire. I made 4 Hooks & held the hood until I got to Blanding,Utah where I got 4 bungie cords That held the hood in place the rest of the 3,000 + mile road trip. 2008 014.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I got another manifold today. Al in Maricopa had one. I almost have it all put back together. And I refreshed the supply of baling wire in the car. IMG_20190807_164236086.jpeg

Sent from my Trimline

5. Living a mainly motorcycle life up until 10 or so years ago side cutters/ wire cutters were one of the most important tools in the kit. Always wire along the side of roads out country. Next up was cable ties for the non heat breakages.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I see carbs are off. Was that for ease of repair or to also look into "fuel starvation was plaguing me" issue at the same time?

osage orange likes this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You know the more you take the less you will need!:)

Stogy and osage orange like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your absolutely right...great suggestion @squirrel

9. squirrel

squirrel

just for ease of repair. I did notice one of them had the accelerator pump link off, before I reinstalled it. New clip.

It's running again, getting stuff packed up for the trip. Might make it up to Speed Week after all.

RMR&C and teach'm like this.
  10. I carry a couple... can always hang a wet coat or shirt on it so it dries out. I also have this roll of .020 diameter Monel safety wire that came out of a closed aircraft plant in 1985. I have been snipping pieces off the roll since and the roll doesn't show any sign of getting smaller.

11. Good luck on the trip, if you go.

squirrel likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I'm getting ready to head out in the morning, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Thanks!

milwscruffy likes this.
  13. I made a alternator belt out of a lady friends pair of nylons once...worked well enough to get us home... There is more than one way to get a girl out of her nylons...lol.
    Ever since then I try to keep a girl in the car when I travel.
    Chappy

14. SASROD

SASROD

Had an idler arm fall out of the socket, on one of my first cars (67 Firebird), pulling into the driveway at my Grandparents house. Wrapped it up real good with some balling wire and drove it all the way home, about 20 miles. Wouldn't do it now, though!

15. Dwardo

Dwardo

I'm going to go out on a small limb and say the only difference between the Twin-H manifold and the regular one is that the Twin-H has two ports for the exhaust heat risers. I might or might not have one somewhere.

16. Dwardo

Dwardo

By which I mean the tubes that connect to the automatic chokes, not the risers.