Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Caution air hose..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hollywood-East, Aug 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Just getting a off topic into paint.... Holy Geezuzzz... This would have been catastrophic ... Just want to throw it out there... The end of the hose came detached mid blow off... Be very careful of this brand....! I don't remember what brand it was an not looking it up, but i dodged a bullet tonight! The hose is a few yrs old... perhaps i need to change out hose's more often...it was before paint Thank god, Budda, Sheeb KIMG5230.JPG a... Etc. Wasn't paint tomorrow!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Also I will ad I'm the only person that uses the hose.... Totally random!

Stogy likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad your okay but pointless not to name the brand and save a similar or worse situation for your fellow hambers. Nothing is perfect that is made by man, but your post doesn't help any of us.

54vicky, clem, Sporty45 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

There... Couldn't see it good enough but ya can figure it out KIMG5232.JPG KIMG5233.JPG

Stogy likes this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EAR-750012.jpg
    425750000ERL_L_b61f3a76-aec9-40b1-a9e0-bb7ccb5a4292.jpg
    :rolleyes:...Glad your okay...@Hollywood-East cut 3-4" off the hose with a very sharp locking utility knife inspect the rest for cracks slip on one of these and crimp it...trick is to not flatten the tangs but pinch them near the hose so it looks like two loops and your back in business...I used to fix airlines at a company I worked for...this is not uncommon...Sometimes oils can make the vinyl hard and brittle or perhaps the crimped sleeve was done incorrectly or it was damaged...

https://www.gridsport.net/Earls-Vapor-Guard-Hose-Clamp-2-Ear-Crimp-Type

clem, Cosmo49, Sporty45 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Stogy.... Much obliged.... But the Point was thus came side ways!!! I know how to fix a hose... Many thanx

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I worked midnight's in a huge plant...I remember walking in and seeing a hose doing the Cobra swinging all over the place...that's why there's that rule stressing to not leave airlines plugged in...yes compressed air is no joke...always a good thing to give them a once over especially when you buy them...

8. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Clearly... We move on... But if you were laying down some amazing shit an the detach happened good god of all fucker'ie....

Attached Files:

Lone Star Mopar, Tim and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's never safe when they come off and it can scare the F' out of you...watch out...that line looks like the air is sneaking in between the layers which can happen and it can balloon and blow again...

Flathead Dave likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I get it it's a hell of a way to clean the floor and yeah it obviously could be lethal to a paint job...In my 40+ years in aviation I lost count of the number of times it happened and a few were a size up from that...

Moral of the story was shit happens and you came out on the good side All around just a hissy...:D

Hollywood-East likes this.
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The hose your using is a vinyl hose, you were asking for trouble the day you bought it.

Spend the money and buy a high quality air hose with quality ends on it, especially if you paint.
    I've always had a dedicated
    Air hose for painting that was a paint hose, higher quality and it gets used less.

49ratfink, 5window, Sporty45 and 5 others like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

In forty years you have never seen an injury? " compressed air is no joke" , "it's never safe" and ":rolleyes:" ? Those three do not go together.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CORRECT NO injuries due to compressed air mind you I was an employee not in the plant hospital...perhaps you misunderstood my relating it to something funny which I did not.

What I was saying was in my 40 years I lost count of the number of airline disengagements that happened, Not injuries. I have actually secured and stabilized many. NOTE...airline safety was a focus of training and safety in those years as well ie. as in blowing off your dusty self being a major no no...

As I said this was a lot of noise and that's it carry on...o_O

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Flathead Dave and Hnstray like this.
  14. Legacy Flexilla? shopping.jpeg

Stogy, Tim and Hollywood-East like this.
  15. Ziggster

Ziggster

I noticed mine starting to "ballon" right next to the connector last year. Hose is probably close to 10 yrs old and is a lower quality unit on a auto hose feel. Cut off a good section and reattached.

Stogy likes this.
  16. 3 rules I ALWAYS follow for my air hoses..

1. BUY QUALITY I always use Gates hoses, one has been outside in the blistering sun for more than 15 years. Its the main one off my compressor and I have had that section of hose for 25 plus years.

2. NEVER let them lay in oil, Wipe off oil Immediately !

3. NEVER drive over a air hose with your cars. Take the 5 seconds to move them out of the way.

Follow these simple 3 things and a air hose should last most of you 20 years plus. Might have to change out a coupler once or twice but the hose will last !

17. 1ton

1ton

Hollywood, If I'm reading this correctly, your were blowing off the car prior to painting? Assuming that you would have used the same hose to spray with, and that happened while you were applying the color? Yes my friend, that would piss me off.

Stogy likes this.
  18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ve got a section of hose that is probably over 40 years old, they don’t make them to last like that anymore!
    I’ve also got one section that came out of a closed cotton mill, clear reinforced industrial quality hose that ran something on some of the machines, neighbor gave it to me when he left the mill, it’s probably 25-30 years old.

I’ve had the end blow off a few times, I just cut it off a few inches and clamp it back. I try to replace the quick coupler and barb fitting every few years, they do wear out.

Last new hose I bought didn’t last a year before it started bubbling and leaking, had more splices in it than Carter has little pills before I chunked it.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Correct! There was no sign of letting go... The only thing I can possibly contribute it to is dancing around a project with big tires on it... An pulling on the line more than I should have... Which would make sense how it broke... Actually feel like I won the lottery... painting to day... White of all colors.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Had it happen once on a HARBOR FREIGHT hose.
    10 year old hose.
    Have several other that were HF hoses and never a problem
    With any of them.
    Go figure?

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  21. Is it plastic?

I've always used this type , there is not a chance of it coming loose. HRP

[​IMG]

images.jpg

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    OLSKOOL57 and 5window like this.
  22. I’ve got some hoses by Parker Hannifin.
    They are by far the best I’ve ever seen. Bought them in 1991. I think I’ve replaced the moving part ends a couple times. They are push lock too.

Stogy likes this.
  23. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

For hoses in the shop that I use around my fabricating/welding I use less expensive hoses and sometimes they will have the sheetmetal ends on them. I almost always cut them off and put good hydronic hose ends on.

24. I have the Reelcraft 300 PSI red rubber air hose like service stations used with the bells to alert they had a customer, I will never be able to build that much pressure. HRP

reelcraft-601044-150-3-4-x-150-hose-assembly-w-garden-hose-fittings-300-psi-80.jpg

OLSKOOL57, mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. NEVER disconnect your air tool from the line and drop the hose on the floor. I have and bent the quick connector to the point where it would randomly pop off the tool during use.

26. Buddy of mine had one of those yellow harbor freight plastic self coiling hoses.Left it out in the sun one summer.We needed to use it while it was still coiled.He put air to it,and it exploded in a hundred pieces. It was like being hit by shrapnel.I had safety glasses on.Taught me a lesson about hoses.

27. partssaloon

partssaloon

Also at my compressor I have a ball valve that when in the closed position it bleeds off all the air in the lines running through the shop. So no pressure when not in use for the evening.

Jalopy Joker and Sporty45 like this.
  28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I had a line end that blew off and slammed into side of my car and just missed the back door side window by inches. It was then I zip tied the hose fitting on the compressor end to avoid that happening again.

Spoggie likes this.
  29. ...........and safety glasses!

30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I won't even walk around an air hose. My compressor is set at 120- 140 PSI, high enough pressure to blow a dress up!

Nope...I stay away, and NEVER step on the sidewalk cracks... Yessir.

kidcampbell71 and Hollywood-East like this.