Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I was ask for some help with a 34 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 7, 2019.

1. I had a old friends son stop by the shop yesterday afternoon and ask me if I could help him with a gift he had bought for his dad, ever since I have know his dad he has been a car guy but he was heavy into purpose built drag cars and dirt track racing, he always talked about building a hot rod but he just never got around to it.

This is where his son enters the picture, he said he had heard his dad talk about wanting to build a car for years and he decided to finde one and buy it for his dad.

What he found is a Outlaw fiberglass 1934 Ford in running condition but incomplete, fortunately the front and rear suspension is traditional, sbc and automatic transmission but it lacked the fenders and he knew that his dad would want fenders so he ordered the running boards, fenders and rear apron from Outlaw and ask me if I would be willing to help him install them on the car before he gives it to his dad, he admitted he didn't know where to begin and me having never worked on a 33/34 Ford I don't know where to start.

I know there are a lot of guys here with 33/34 Ford both glass & steel so I'm asking you guys bfor any pointers you might be willing to share.

He is wanting to give to car to his dad late next month at the local track. HRP

2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Holy Shit - the only thing my son has ever given me is a pain in the neck

3. This young man is going to blow his dads mind, he has no idea that this is in the going to happen, he has been working on the car for several months. HRP

3W JOHN, VANDENPLAS, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  4. Can't really help with any pointers, Danny, but I can say that I've known of a lot of Outlaw Performance cars over the years and they seem to make good products. That said, unless some other issues develop, it shouldn't be too onerous of a task to make it a full- fendered car. I do wish that he had held off on the 'glass boards and gotten some steel ones and covered with original style rubber.

5. I told him I wish he had talked to me before ordering the fender kit & running boards.

We all know hindsight is 20/20, possibly when his dad takes possession of the car I can persuade him to at least buy some rubber covers for the boards. HRP

6. Slopok

Slopok

In all fairness, how much different can it be from a '32??? I know you are familiar with those!

3W JOHN, Tim, ct1932ford and 2 others like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

The only point that can't really be adjusted/modified is the joint of rear fender to running board. Start there and work outward. You might find the gas tank cover doesn't match the length of the rear fenders and might need it's top edge gap adjusted. Might also find the way the front fenders fit around the inner fender panels needs work. Sometimes the rear edge of the front fenders need lengthened/shortened to make the fender fit best around the grille.

Clamp everything before drilling a single hole.

Lots of areas to adjust or modify for the best fit. But it's only fiberglass.

8. dont bake it in a paint booth
    seen some glass cars do some crazy stuff in a booth
    otherwise it assembles like a metal car except ya got lots of holes to drill
    check chassis and make sure doors work well and all bolts are in the body
    I also advise starting with the rear fenders and work forward
    use screws then change to bolts as it comes together
    wear long sleeves

9. What Anthony said ^^^^^ Start from the back.

10. The rear gas tank cover is something I have never dealt with, how do they attach to the body? and starting from the rear makes good sense. HRP

3W JOHN, catdad49 and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  11. Rear cover attaches to the rear body flange

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

You'll need to make the tail end of the fenders and the gas tank cover meet up. Might mean the front edge of the cover should be shortened or lengthened to make the gap at the tail of the body fit nice. It's just flat surface there, so not hard to do.

13. Thank you, I have never paid any attention to the way the apron is attached and I haven't seen the car yet, just trying to get some kind of idea on how to help, I'm sure I know a lot more about the older cars than this young man but I want to make informed decisions.

Do the bolt/screw heads show when the apron is attached? HRP

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The pain they have given me was always lower.

3W JOHN, chopnchaneled, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

What a good hearted soul you are.
    I would suggest, after being supplied with the information to get those parts on the car, that you hand him the tools and make him do it.
    It’ll be the best learning curve you could supply.
    It will also provide more pride when he hands it over to good old dad.
    Where do these sons come from??
    My son always drops what he’s doing to give me a hand.
    Can’t wait for my 34 ford.

16. Dennis D

Dennis D

When I put the fenders on my car I started at the rear. Had to cut the frame horn covers up to make them fit to the rear fenders. Also had to cut the tops of the fender well and rework them to get the gap right to the body. Drake running boards fit pretty well. I made supports that run from the boards up to the frame rail so there is no issue with standing on the boards, although with the chop you can't really do that anyway. Front fenders required me to pie cut them where they met the boards. Probably about inch and a half to zero at the frame IIRC. Also had to cut the fenders along the inside to get the flange to lay flat on the top of the frame rail. I did this so the fender would lay on the frame and attach to the board without having to be pulled into position with the hardware causing stress cracks later on down the road. More than once thought about how it would look as a highboy! D

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and catdad49 like this.
  17. Damn wish I had known this. I could have fixed the kid up with a roadster hotrod with road experience.

18. latest roadster edited.jpg Time for me to down size

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and ramblin dan like this.
  19. Dirk35

Dirk35

Along with the 4 Fenders, Running Boards, and Gas Tank cover, you'll need the following:

Front Fender Spacer, Front Fender Inner Aprons, Front Fender Brackets, Front Fender Braces (curved looking thing), Front Fender Braces support (kinda straight bar looking thingy that goes at the back of the front fender), Rear Fender Braces, Running Board Brackets, Headlight Stands, Headlight Mount Pads, Headlights, Body to Frame Gussets (you might NOT need these with a fiberglass body, but these go in the gap at the rear belt line and attach to the frame to fill the hole between the rear fender and gas tank (think of them as a rear inner fender apron)). You'll also need a way to mount the license plate and rear tail lights.

You can find example of most of the additional parts needed here:
    https://www.bobdrake.com/3334fenders

If you want a set of heavy duty running board brackets that you can stand on withouth fear of them ever sagging, I have a set for sale that are 1/4' plate that I had cut on a water jet and look good. You can see them on my For Sale ad:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...for-sale-prices-listed.1045327/#post-13108899

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  20. Dirk35

Dirk35

Yes, the bolt heads on the rear gas tank cover show.

21. If not familiar with glass fenders ya can’t tweak em like steel
    You may need to thin down the gell coat on fender mounting areas to tighten up gaps.
    Be careful tweaking doors, the skin can separate from the frame. Sometimes that’s good to get a fit.
    I prefer steel hoods over glass
    Radiators hold the key for proper hood fitment like a 32.

22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, who is the lucky dad and do I know him?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Too bad we live so far apart, I wouldnt mind lending a hand. Somehow I have an easier time working on other peoples stuff than I do my own. I guess its because they are footing the bill for the learning curve.:D Good on you, and Good Luck!

24. John, I'll send you a PM and tell you know who it is, I don't want to say in public with all the lurkers on the Hamb the cat might get out of the bag. HRP

3W JOHN and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Thanks brother, I appreciate the thought. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  26. 37gas

37gas

I have own and built twelve 33 34 ford over the past seventy years. You start at the gas tank cover and work your way forward.

27. Great information .

28. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I know where there's a pair of '34 bumpers for sale, if he needs them.

29. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Run, run like the wind ! My Dad always told me those OLD cars will break you trying to keep them running. He wasn't a car guy. ;) :)

Really good on you and what a cool thing to be envolved in.