Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Suicide/ Brodie knobs

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 54FISH, Aug 3, 2019.

1. 54FISH

54FISH

Hello, Just a quick question , The Suicide / Brodie knobs , most of the time I see them mounted on Smooth steering wheelsc, But how good do the fit the Old Stock steering wheels eith the finger groves molded into them ? Thought about getting one for my restored 54' Bel Air steering wheel , But dont want to screw up wheel clamping a knob on it if they dont fit those wheels very well , Any thoughts Besides who gives a ..... ? Lol THANK S

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Well for one thing they are illegal in most states.:rolleyes:

3. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Wheels have a tendency to spin straightening out of a turn especially at speed. What happens is that knocker knob knocks the shit out of your hand.

When the shit hits the fan and you have to drive to save your life, it's real easy to forget about that dang doorknob on your steering wheel.

Imagine trying to recover in such a situation at speed with a freshly broken thumb.

4. They didn't call 'em "suicide" knobs for nuthin'.:eek:

5. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

They will mess up the steering wheel.

57JoeFoMoPar and loudbang like this.
  6. southcross2631

southcross2631

They fit the older steering wheels just fine. I had one on a 57 Ford.

7. 54FISH

54FISH

Thanks !!! I'll go without , you guys reminded me of a time driving an old mack lowboy , i didnt let the wheel go to return itself & more or less Punched the door jamb & thought i broke my hand ! Not to mention , i really dont want to risk damaging wheel , I dont think Police in my area know or care that much about classic car or hot rod laws . Most care about if your a menace to the street with burnouts & wreckless driving. Anyway thanks for the hits!

8. It only takes getting wacked a couple times and you'll find a comfortable spot out of the way to rest your hand when coming out of a turn. It's not much different than palming your wheel to make a turn, it's not like you stick your fingers in the spokes when the wheel is coming back.
    I say don't let these guys scare you, get one and try it out and you'll see what I mean, it'll be natural in no time at all.

9. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I found one at a swap meet that was old and had a small spring on it that would cause it to flip up towards the wheel center when you let go of it. That kept it from slamming into your arm when you made a turn. Great, now I'll spend the rest of the day hunting for in the garage.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Pre-drivers license days (about 7th grade), I had one on my bicycle handle bar. One day a Nun at my school on playground duty happened to notice it and took a look. I saw this and thought something along the lines of “this isn’t going to end well”. You see, the Brodie knob had a picture of a bathing beauty or nude implanted in it........she just shook her head and walked away. Never mentioned it to me.......:oops:

Ray ........absolutely true story.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

We have one. My one handed wife had to get it in order to obtain a drivers license. She no longer drives (thank goodness) but we still have her car, and I love it!

0804191538a_HDR.jpg

Just Gary, Seth_McK, deadbeat and 5 others like this.
  12. 6sally6

6sally6

My Mom useta call 'em titty-knockers!! Now we know why.
    6sally6

deadbeat and loudbang like this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We called them "Necker's Knobs". It made it easier to keep your arm around your girlfriend when going around corners. (I also knew a couple of guts who "flipped" the column shift to the left side of the steering column; these guys usually ended up with 2 or 3 kids by the time they were 20.)

14. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I had one on my 55 Chevy for years and never had any issues get knocked by it. Having a 4 speed and manual steering box, it was great for parking as I could shift from first to reverse with my right hand while cranking the wheel with my left. Cops never hassled me for it either. Get one with the dual straps that are designed for old style steering wheels with finger grips. If you don't like it, it's a 2 minute removal.

15. I have one on my John Deere riding mower....it helps. I don't think it has screwed up the wheel.

16. 54FISH

54FISH

I'm sure i could get used to it , alot machinery/ fork trucks i use have em , my main concern was Fn up the restored wheel . Hot Rods ta Hell , Thanks , i've never seen a dual strap suey knob yet . When i first got the 54' , i forgot about the manual steer & damn near put it in the woods goin round bend .F it , I' ll just pad the wheel good . Can always take it off , Thanks again !!!

17. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Couldn't you put a strip cut from an old inner tube around wheel to keep from messing steering wheel up?
    One of my favorite uncles always had to have a Mercury. He had a collection of nudie spinners. Where do you get them now?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

18. I did not take the time to research this topic but it appears that this guy did.
    http://www.suicideknob.net/state_laws.html
    Looks like Washington is the only state that has a law.
    I have had spinner knobs on a few manual steering cars and trucks and never had an issue.

19. We have them on the two Internationals that Dad cuts grass with, one is a traditional 1959 Cub LoBoy, the other is an O/T 1978 IH 284. They work great on a tractor, but have never had one on a road vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. lowrd

lowrd

Look up the 1940 Chev optional steering wheel with the factory spinner at the nine o'clock position.
    I have one on my 53, works well. Expensive to restore.

21. As steering wheels have gotten thicker over time so have the "Brodie" knob clamping sizes. Many of the early ones actually clamped on the left side, thin spoke of a wheel that was flat, not dished....... for lefthand drive setups. (See first photo.) Old style or new style, they are meant to position the spinner knob more inside the rim and nothing sticking out to the outside. This is so after you make a turn, you can cup your palm and with your thumb safely out of the way, let the wheel naturally return to the neutral position. Note: I'm not saying this makes the knob foolproof. It can still get you in a freak situation if the wheel takes off on you, such as one of the front tires hitting something solid in an accident while you're gripping the steering wheel in understandable panic.

The second photo is a knob that clamps away from the spoke somewhat randomly. But note it's a totally, dumbass, wrong install. That bad boy needs to be flipped inside the wheel. The way it's mounted is a broken thumb waiting to happen.

I kind of think the illegal status of these knobs is greatly exaggerated. I'm sure there are locals that give them the thumbs down, but how many, I can't say.

Brodie_knob 1.jpg Brodie knob 2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    deadbeat and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. My dad used one on his 49 Ford coupe for years. Never seemed to get in his way. I guess if you get used to them then there should be no problem. Photo is from 1953:

Brodie knob.JPG

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My favorites were the ones with pictures of "nekkid wimin" in 'em.:eek:

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spent many an hour operating my grandfather's Farmall Super C and the neighbors Case tractor that had the hay rake attached to iwe t that we raked the hay with and both had one. Made for steering those tricycle tractors real easy.
    In the 60's some of the greaser dudes around here had them in their rides but it was always the suicide knob thing of them getting caught in the sleeve of your long sleeve shirt that we hard stories about. A couple of infamous wrecks around here were attributed to them but distracted driving may have been the actual cause. We had better things to play with when we didn't have cell phones and did have bench seats in our cars. Especially when your gal leaned to shift the 4 speed so you didn't have to move your hand.

25. nugget32

nugget32

26. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Here is mine, called a Safety Steering Pilot, inset so it is flush with the wheel and you do not catch anything on it.
    I think it is Mid-30's era. Works great.

DSCN1770.JPG

27. 6-71

6-71

I have shoulder problems(one replaced,other one needs replaced) I have a suicide knob on my T-bucket,my 39 chevy and my HHR panel daily driver.They help greatly with my limited shoulder strength.Yes they will probably damage your fancy steering wheel.

28. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Here’s the one that was on my ‘50 when I bought it. Yeah, it was an old farm truck. IMG_2075.JPG

29. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

^^^^Funny....so I just googled Irrigation Pump Co....guess you can still get a model like this. Ooh, and colorful. IMG_2076.JPG

30. crest.jpg SANTAY made a slick one you could flip out of the way.. Had one on my 51 Ford Woodie.. never busted a knuckle..
    I'll post a Crestliner steering wheel that has one it.. Sucked that is had it on it, messed up the wheel were it was mounted.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019