Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is your shop a constant mess?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I think a big problem for a lot of people (including me) is having too much stuff for the available space.

When I have to look for something I will usually just start tidying up the area where it might be. Often it will then turn up, and if it doesn't, at least I haven't completely wasted the time.

2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm like Pirate. I have my "ups".
    • Get Up
    • Pick Up
    • Put Up
    • Clean Up
    I try to do that at the end of each day unless I know I'm right back at the same task with the same tools in the morning. "Clean Up" keeps me from getting filthy, especially when I'm welding, grinding, etc. "Put Up" helps me find stuff when I need it and drastically cuts down on the "Now where did I put that?" moments.

Make no mistake, I work in my shop. It is not a showplace but I try to keep the clutter and the mess to a minimum.

arkiehotrods, Oilguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

If I were not so good at procrastinating, I would have plenty of space...but I'm always too busy to spend the time needed to organize, get rid of, clean, etc.

j-jock, arkiehotrods, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  4. No sir, I don't. HRP

enloe and deucemac like this.
  5. 2935ford

2935ford

Ha! THAT'S an understatement for my garage! :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Jim, I think we are brothers from different mothers, too many projects to dedicate time for shop cleaning, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, being the annual host of a club meeting dictates me having to do what doesn't come natural.

At least I do have the Boss lady to take care of the catering end of the duties, I know she will have something good to eat and she always makes her crowd favorite fried apple pies coked up in a cast iron skillet.

If we have the normal participation there will be about 15 people to show up and that usually equates to around 40 or so fried pies, and I can only hope there might be a couple of left overs to go with that Friday morning cup of coffee. :) HRP

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    hotrodharry2 and deucemac like this.
  7. No!
    I dont have room for a mess
    Chappy
    20190503_095003.jpg

enloe, VANDENPLAS, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Throwing stuff out weekly. Trying to stop the mentality of keeping every old nut and bolt and pieces of metal that I may use someday. Also backed off of going to garage sales unless there is a specific description of interest.:rolleyes:

enloe, jvo, indianbullet and 4 others like this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Too many of everything is just a vicious circle.

10. I know I have a tool fetish, I have 3 Craftsman tool around tool chest and for the most part about have the tools are scattered around the shop. on the work table and work bench and of course there is mass of tools I started gathering up that are on the roll around tool cart. HRP

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you watch "American Pickers" my garage and basement look like 99% of the places they visit. Do you really want to see photos? :confused::confused:

Bob

That was shot yesterday, outside looking in, I'm replacing the rotten back wall with a door and window.

DSCF2911.JPG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

It is by the grace of God that more of us haven't succumbed to the dreaded creeper in the dark garage.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Slopok

Slopok

Every time I reorganize and straighten up I can't find anything!o_O

14. chopped

chopped

I put my tools away each day, if I don't I won't find them. My wife gets tired of the rest of the mess and cleans up for me every month or so. All I have to do is give her every penny I've ever made my whole life!!! LOL

jaw22w, j-jock and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. it's simply amazing how they take pity on us and "save us from ourselves" isn't?

Chappy

X-cpe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

My shop is as neat and tidy as the inside of my house. And by that I mean that they're both full of random tools and car parts and other junk all over the place. You could probably guess that I'm not married...

17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My shop would be tidy and neat if I did not have horizontal surfaces.

18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

My garage gets cleaned up every November so I can get two cars in it for the winter months. I didn’t buy a house so I have to scrape windows at -30.
    My shop/warehouse is another matter.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Ziggster

Ziggster

Story of my life. I'd be lucky to find a square inch of free space on any flat surface. I think I should see a therapist...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Made me look- just realized I have 6 rollaways, all full. Need to get rid of some of that old Whatzit brand Mare Island Shipyard tooling- as soon as I'm sure I don't Needzit. Since the Yard closed, you don't see all those tools at the swaps with CTR and FTR engraved in them any more. Used to be a lot of hot rods n bikes with submarine guages and such running around

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

If I posted pictures of my garage you guys would turn me in to the Hoarders TV show or have me arrested for shop neglect:eek: Every time I get it half way cleaned up I go to another auction and come home with a bunch more junk and there goes my clean up. Is there an outfit like AA for car guys? Maybe JA? I would probably get kicked out of the group and start drinking more and end up in AA anyway. Better stick to the car stuff I guess.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@HOTRODPRIMER,
    I am taking next week off. Part of that time is putting tools away so I can assemble a 34 chassis. Mess == Stalled projects.

The37Kid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

been in my shop for 22 years now. my shop is not a mess, it has patina.

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

^^^^^^ THATS ME ^^^^

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

IMG_20190804_090457963.jpg my shop is small and cramped and usually cleaned up. It's been a little crazy lately.

26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sign on my shop wall..."a creative mess is better than tidy idleness".
    Inherited from my dear old Mom's shop.

seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny the last time I was in your shop it wasn't that bad.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

You aren’t the “only one”, mine stays cluttered and dirty. I keep working in it until I start stumbling around and almost falling and then have no choice.(Or can’t fine a tool or part I need)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Or, .............”A Clean Garage Is A Sign Of A Sick Mind”

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. Dennis D

Dennis D

You could eat off the floor in my garage, if you could stand the grinding dust and the metal from the drill press in your teeth.........D:D

Cosmo49, jaw22w, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.