Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. I sincerely doubt Brad had any say in this not being prosecuted. For the record the definition of a plea bargain is : To agree to plead guilty, especially to a lesser criminal offense, in exchange for some concession from the prosecution, such as dismissal of more serious charges. The reason he took it to court was because he thought he was innocent.

2. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Just for my own info , for those that have contacted your reps since the results of the inspection , exactly what have you been telling them and what has their response been? I contacted mine after aboner had his meet and greet an in both cases I got a polite we are aware of the situation , gave them my contact info for follow up information and never heard a word. Got back to them about the time the case was dismissed and before the inspection and the one was not sure and the other said the issue had been resolved. In all cases I was talking to an aid of some sorts and seem to be getting a one size fits all response . So just curious how you are now approaching the subject after the inspection results and what kind of response you have gotten. There still seems to be a lot of misinformation out there and as usual, more questions than answers. Larry

3. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

My two reps originally said they would look into it. However, both later stated it had been resolved when the tickets were dismissed. I need to contact them again on this matter. I will do that in the near future, was assembling info on what they could do from various pieces of this thread. Sorting thru the facts, the wanted actions and the conjecture is taking some time. Whatever we request of our legislatures ought to be legally and factually correct or their respective staff members will routinely dismiss our requests again. We are not the only ones with an issue trying to get their attention.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Jim,
    you may qualify for a "Collector" plate. Some modifications are allowed for cars applying for "Collector" plates here is a link for info
    https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/dmv/vehicles/title-plates/collector-plates.aspx

One of the problems with the "Hobbyist" plates are the requirement that a person has to chose "recon, hmade, street mod or replica" as a title brand to get the plate. If WISDMV thinks the wrong classification (title brand) has been chose, they will request a Wisconsin State Patrol inspection. Also, for "street mod" you have to "Attach statement explaining how vehicle was modified". Sometimes WISDMV may think the listed modifications will require a Wisconsin State Patrol inspection.

WSP recognizes the fact vehicles applying for "Hobbyist' plates have been modified and WISDMV can easily inform the applicant that a WSP inspection is required.

Besides branding the title, waiting 4-6 weeks for plates, getting the distinktive yellow on green plate, the idea of a WSP vehicle inspection is one more reason to get a "Hobbyist" plate!

Curt R

loudbang likes this.
  5. I appreciate the clarification, thanks.
    Curt R

loudbang and milwscruffy like this.
  6. According to the articles on the Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio the Judge told the DA and Brad to work something out or it would go to court. We are getting a bunch of different "interpretations" of this story, but none form Brad, so it's hard to know what is actually going on.

7. I have been in contact with Brad since October 2018 and regular if not daily contact with him since May 2019. The info below is as received from Brad. I was present at the May 2019 "status hearing" and at the June 4, 2019 WSP inspection of Brad's 32 coupe.

here are the bare facts, no conjecture

Brad's 1932 Ford replica body and frame, picture at post #1 of this thread

2018, October, WSP Trooper tickets 1932 Ford owner for "no fenders, no hood, inadequate muffler" violation

2019, May, owner of 1932 Ford pleads "not guilty" to "no fenders, no hood, inadequate muffler" citations. There was no discussion between Brad, the court or the district attorney about a "plea bargain" during this hearing or after or in the following weeks. Brad maintained his "not guilty plea" regardless of any discussions with anyone after the May 2019 "status hearing"

2019, May, Iowa County (Dodgeville, Wi) dismisses "no fenders, no hood, inadequate muffler" citations. The dismissal was a result of a discussion between the Iowa County DA and WSP. No discussion occurred between Brad, the court, the DA or WSP that caused the tickets dismissal.

2019, June 4, the 1932 Ford is inspected by a WSP Inspector. The 32 fails inspection due to "no wiper, washer fluid, defroster, rearview mirror, hood, bumpers or fenders"

2019, June 18, the 1932 Ford "HOBBYIST" license plates are suspended.

The issue is not the tickets that's over. It is the registration suspension and the requirements the coupe must meet for registration reinstatement. Brad disagrees with WSP's position that Statute or Code require fenders, hood or bumpers for a "replica" vehicle. Many of us agree with Brad.

Legislator contact must focus on our communities not agreeing with the reasons for Brad's registration suspension and the requirements for reinstatement.

Curt R

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    loudbang and partsdawg like this.
  8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just a thought in passing. Over here in Minnesota the MSRA Legislative Committee,a watch dog group, holds a annual Run To The Hill event in which members drive their cars to the state capitol when the legislature is in session and every member in attendance visits his or hers representative. Nothing more than a meet and greet although when we fought (and won) the "one pump exemption" for ethanol free gas more serious discussions took place.
    We on the committee enjoy a very good relationship with our elected officials. Many will come out to look at the cars and we have been doing the run for nearly 30 years. They also know the financial impact shows like BTTF's bring.
    My only advice is that people contact officials directly. Make a phone call or if in the area schedule a office visit.
    Emails are something that may not get to their attention if a staffer judges it not worth the time.
    Always be cordial. Your discussing something that affects many others than just yourself. The art of politics is a dance and establishing good relations means a lot. That legislator wants to get re-elected and knows that your voice can impact voters you know. Even if you disagree keep it smooth.They may come around or be needed at a later date on some other vintage vehicle subject.
    If you do call or visit have a list of talking points at hand. Thought out items to discuss briefly or in depth if they have the time.Statistics about revenue generated in your area by folks coming in and staying.Gas and grocery,lodging and food etc. How much does Spring and Fall Jefferson generate statewide or locally? Iola? Simco? Local government knows how much,you can bet on that and that info is just a question or two away.
    Anyhoo,I'm just babbling away here.Curt R seems to be doing a fine job and others here are helping out. Keep up the good fight.

9. Positively, good solid advice!!
    Thank you for taking the time to share!!!
    Curt R

loudbang likes this.
  10. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Very well spoken. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  11. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

This is very helpful for my next conversation(s). Thanks for taking the time.

loudbang and a boner like this.
    loudbang likes this.
  13. K13 posted this statement on July 15 . According to the articles on the Wisconsin Hot Rod Radio the Judge told the DA and Brad to work something out or it would go to court. We are getting a bunch of different "interpretations" of this story, but none form Brad, so it's hard to know what is actually going on. So Is his statement factual or not? I would like to hear the facts straight from the horses mouth. Brad will you post the facts yourself? Did you and the DA work something out?

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While some of the items listed (washer fluid and defrosters) are ridiculous, I believe some of them are necessary for operating a motor vehicle on the public roads today. I see the requirements for windshield wipers, a rear-view mirror, and bumpers to be quite reasonable. and wouldn't be surprised at all if the registration of my vehicle would be suspended if I repeatedly operated it on public roadway in that condition. I don't think this is a fight you can win.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  15. A Boner

A Boner

Just wondering, why do cars need bumpers?

Or, in a supposedly free country, why is a government agency insisting that I have bumpers on my vehicle, before I can legally drive it on public roads?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  16. Bumpers keep you fron busting your radiator when you run over people and animals that are to stupid to stay out of the road. We had a aluminum cowcatcher bumper installed in the ole Pete. I ran over herds of stupid deer never harmed anything just left tufts of hair stuck to it.

17. vwfreek

vwfreek

What radiator? I drove my old '70 VW Squareback all over the state and never got hassled for no bumpers.

Attached Files:

Old wolf and loudbang like this.
  18. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

Finally someone who understands my concern for my radiator's health over the loss of stupid peoples lives. :rolleyes:

Old wolf and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Sadly this thread like the others has long since past the point of usefulness or information. :( Still to many questions and no real answers. That's just a shame. Larry

tractorguy, Old wolf and loudbang like this.
  20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to realize that you are not the only person using the PUBLIC roads. And remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old wolf likes this.
  21. A Boner

A Boner

Glad I don't have to wear a helmet while driving a car on public roads in WISCONSIN.....YET!

22. Mike

Mike

Read post #188 by CurtR. He has posted all the information which he got from Brad himself.

Or don't read it, and continue being a cantankerous, counter productive jackass.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

How very statist of you.....

24. I'll try again, what was the criteria based upon for the inspection of Brads car ?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  25. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Milwscruffy, I would assume they used the required equipment list found in the chapters for Home built and reconstructed sections of the Hobbyist plate application. Those are the only ones I am aware of regarding 20 year or older cars and trucks. Evidently the WSP views any car or truck that is modified from stock needs to follow them regardless of what plates you put on. That is my understanding anyhow. Larry

26. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Man ,did you mail that !!nice one !

27. What makes me ask is the windshield washer fluid and defroster. Don't recall those requirements for anything deemed Hobbyist.

28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Name calling is productive?

Old wolf likes this.
  29. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Milwscuffy. What I should have actually reference was Wi. trans 305 itself and not so much the Hobbyist application. The windshield washer and defrosters are mention but the requirements seem vague to me . Sorry for the confusion but I could have sworn I accessed the info from the hobbyist application, but I tried a little while ago and could not. Googled trans 305 and their they where. Hope this helps with your questions. Larry

milwscruffy likes this.
  30. gene-koning

gene-koning

It has occurred to me that my understanding was that Brad was running regular plates, not Hobbyist plates. To me, that would say he was going without the Hobbyist plate protection and the car would have been inspected with the expectations of meeting any requirements of any other ordinary car running standard issue plates. That would explain why the last inspection failed with the violations it had.
    Maybe if he reapplies for the correct Hobbyist plates (if he can) his problems may go away? Gene