Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's Era Street/Strip Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by -Brent-, Aug 1, 2019.

1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm really liking the direction that you are going with on your coupe, Early 60s drag cars are what I drooled over as a kid in the early 70s. Looking forward to watching the progress on this one. Wishing you the best on your vision problems , I have been having issues since birth.

2. 54BOMB

54BOMB

The mid 60’s drag look is exactly what I went for with my car, and it took 9 years to get on the road . 327, 4 speed , big and littles with a heavy rake . Good luck !

3. Looking great Brent, panel you made to go between dash and windshield excellent idea and execution :cool:

loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  4. I'm diggin it so far

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Lumpy, thanks so much. I'm on the same page as you... as a kid. I did have some dreams of owning a Ferrari, Porsche, Jeeps and even a VW Thing... haha.

As far as my eyes, I'm being proactive. I changed my diet and I do a better job taking care of them. Last eye check-up showed that my eyes were very healthy. That's all I can do, now, is put my health into an optimal condition. I can't control the results, only the actions I take.

I appreciate the well wishes more than you know!

Sounds like a fun car!!! Can't go wrong with that combo.

The plan is to stick pretty close to the mid-late 60's, even with paint. Choosing a color has been a challenge. If you see me paint this thing black, you'll know I admitted defeat and quit trying to find the "right" color.

Thanks, man! It's a little detail that I think makes a big difference (to me).

Thanks, Swade! That's a nice compliment coming from you.... I see your comments on some of my favorite threads so I know we're on the same page.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  6. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks for posting the build, look forward to seeing it come together

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Fenders

Finding fenders was difficult for me. I've driven thousands of miles around the west and wasted a bunch of money on fenders but on the bright side - I know a lot more about fenders, now! Hahaha.
    Fender Day.jpg

Eventually I found a set that were hanging on a 30 that a HAMBer was hot rodding. They looked decent in the pics (they all do...) and we made a deal. I drove down to Big Bear Lake, Cali and grabbed the fenders. The fronts were actually really nice. The rears had some issues. Like I said, I know a lot more now because stuff like this is always teaching me. I didn't take the runningboards/aprons because I planned on running something different... as you'll see.

A Fenders.jpg

When I was out at Matt's doing the body wood, I took the fenders over to a blaster. It was one of the last jobs he did before he retired. He was a hot rodder, too. And like just like Matt, he held up the rear fenders and said, "These are going to need some work... probably lots of work." Haha.

20190131_181205.jpg

20190131_181215.jpg

However, the fronts were good - really good. Perfect candidates to cut in half. Haha! I'm not joking.

Fender Narrowed 1.jpg

Fender Narrowed 2.jpg

FENDER NARROWED 3.jpg
    Fender Narrowed 4.jpg

And then the rears...

imagejpeg_0(10).jpg

Because they were going to get bobbed, Matt decided to narrow the fenders and try them out. Problem was, the fenders each had their own issues and the left fender had either been hit or something because it was different from the other and the opening was like an inch and a half smaller. So, we wasted some time and the scrapper got some metal. Live and learn, we ordered repops.

imagejpeg_0(4).jpg

Here are the respective fender mounts. All that was done was narrowing 3". They had both fit their fenders.

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

So, why in the hell would I go and narrow the fenders?

Because of this car... maratta rake driving.jpg

Many of you known of the Maratta Missile or as it was earlier named, "The Rake" by Frank Maratta.

I had known about this car, growing up in CT (where both Maratta and Dean (the current owner) live) but I'd only seen in it a pic or two over the years. When he located and purchased the car, I reached out to him. I wanted to know it all. The car is very distinct and it made an impact on me.

In my mind, this car is about as bad as a Model A can come and I wanted a little bit of The Missile/Rake style for my own car. The Missile version of this car is a far more imposing hot rod, to me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  9. -Brent-

-Brent-

The Rear View

While we waited for the new rear fenders to arrive, Matt got to work on one of the areas I had planned out many years ago - the rear taillight panel.

The day I was packing up, I took a pic of the layout on the original, beat-up panel.

Tailight Panel Mock-Up.jpg

And here's Matt's mock-up:

Taillight panel.jpg

And a couple hours later, here's the finished product.

Tail Lights 2.jpg

Tail Lights 1.jpg

You can see my old, narrowed and beat fenders. The taillights are Buick and the tag lights are NOS Chevy.

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like it! Should be mean looking when finished.

I would ditch the Chevy licence lights, they look odd stuck out back.

Atwater Mike and -Brent- like this.
  11. brad2v

brad2v

Neat, neat. Subscribed. I like your ideas so far. I see an emerald green body, light green metallic with cobwebbed fenders. I'm with dumprat on those license lights though. They look like the water spouts on the wall of my Grandma's bathroom.

chryslerfan55 and -Brent- like this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, fellas! Respectfully, I know it will be something folks will love or hate but they're staying. I dig it and when the car is all together and in one color with a nerf bar bumper, I think it will all fit in. One of the reasons I like this era is that some cars got pretty funky and it was okay. Guys were trying all sorts of things. I could play it safe and run a Hollywood license plate light but there's no fun in that for me.

13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Running Boards

Commercial/truck running boards seemed like the right choice. I really love the way they came out. Matt blew my mind when I saw how well he got everything to match up.

Running Board Before Section.jpg

Running Board Section 1.jpg

Running Board Section.jpg

Running Board Section 2.jpg

Running Board Section 4.jpg

Running Board Section 3.jpg

Running board section after 2.jpg

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Narrowed and Bobbed Rear Fenders

Brand new, straight, and raw rear fenders.

IMG_8190.jpg

Taking 3" out.

IMG_8191(1).jpg

imagejpeg_0(2).jpg

Narrowed with a 6" bob.

imagejpeg_0(1).jpg

Door bottoms replace and filler pulled out of the door.

IMG_8228.jpg

These running boards should look pretty good plated.

IMG_8229.jpg

This little area needed some finessing to allow the fenders to fit on the car.

IMG_8234.jpg

Fenders mocked up.

Rear ThreeQuarter-2.jpg

side shot 30 coupe.jpg

15. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love them Model A street / strip coupes. :) PIC_0036.jpg

16. 54BOMB

54BOMB

I really like the skinny fender look . What style axle are you using up front ? As much as I like my car with a heavy rake the nose up drag launch look is cool.

-Brent-, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  17. Wow! This just keeps getting better!

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Floors, Bulkhead and Crossmember Covers

Here's one of my favorites in the build. A bulkhead was important to me. I wanted to separate the trunk/gas tank are from the driver and passenger and I wanted to do it in a way that looked good, too.

I took my inspiration from Willys, early Novas, and other cars that used bracing that divided the spaces.

The floor was done first and then mat was in and out of the car a bunch of times getting the bulkhead to fit to his standards. The car had to be cranked into square with ratchet straps and when it was all braced up and sheeted, it was incredibly solid.

Bulkhead Inside Car.jpg
    We used some Model A Ford hat channel that's typically used as cross channels. The below pic was when everything was in and "done". I loved it but felt like it didn't look complete.

IMG_8197.jpg

We trimmed a spare piece of hat channel and added it in. To my eye, that looked more factory... plus it was neat that it was an A.

IMG_8212(2).jpg
    Then, Matt fabbed a spring crossmember cover. I had a piece on the way to him to make a cover out of but I'll tell you, this one has really grown on me.

IMG_8235.jpg

When the the piece arrived, he cut it down to size and made a flange for that, as well. It's a replacement spare tire will for a Model A fender.

LRM_EXPORT_119134444337676_20190403_175503661.jpeg

I like both for different reasons. I'm not sure which one will be used. Which one would you run? I guess I could make it so either could be mounted?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  19. -Brent-

-Brent-

For now, I have a 32 heavy and I'll likely run a Super Slide spring with a reversed main leaf. If anything changes, I'll run a WAC Customs axle made by @BCCHOPIT. I like either a rake or the sitting proud but mostly level/flat. I've never been a "nose high" guy. I went for a ride in a 55 (around town) a few years back that was nose high and it weirded me out. I'm tall and I couldn't see much in front of us.

Thanks, Mike! I'm itching to get this thing into a roller. I can't wait to start talking chassis and speed parts!

20. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

You sure are making progress. This thing is going to be awesome!! Great fab work.

Stogy, loudbang and -Brent- like this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

With the rest of the trunk looking so nice and original, I would go with the spare tire well cover. The squared edges on the other one look out place, but would go nicely with a set of full aluminum panels.

Stogy and -Brent- like this.
  22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks, Mike! I gotta tell you, it feels good to have this project moving forward.

When I look in the trunk, I picture the bulkhead and the back taillight cover panel (not shown, yet) getting painted the same color of the body. The sides will get panels that match the interior, which will just be black diamond stitch. I like both covers. The squared one looks tougher. It's thinner and lower. The wheel well one looks fancy (not sure if that's the right word) and it's bigger all around.

I don't have a fuel tank yet... that may decide which gets run. Haha.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like the fabricated cover.
    If this is going on 32 rails how are you going to make the A subrails fit? And are you going to run A splash aprons?

24. -Brent-

-Brent-

No, this is going on a modified Model A frame. Much like this one:

100_1366_zpsc1cfea84.jpg

Though mine will be different. I'm running a front mount and a bellhousing mount. The boxing plates will be slightly inset. Also, the steering is going to be F1, I'm not sure what they are running on this. I've been debating what to run in the rear for suspension - ladder bars or truck arm rear suspension, both of which will be with an A spring. I've been leaning toward truck arms (or I-beams) most recently.

I will be using 31 aprons. We just didn't mock them up when the fenders were mocked.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  25. Calcraft

Calcraft

Wow Brent! Can't believe I never realized this thread was so local. Haha
    I love it. It's so perfect.
    Keep on rollin man!
    I'm following

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Trunklid Conversion and Repair

The decklid was converted to a trunk lid. The bottom lip needed some love.

IMG_8128(2).jpg

imagejpeg_0(44).jpg

IMG_8133(2).jpg

Finally, a '37 V8 trunk handle was installed. This is a repop that Matt donated. I have a beautiful original for when the car is done. The new metal makes the rest of the decklid look pretty bad. It'll need a bit of body work.

V8 Handle on Model A Decklid.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Roof Insert

You can see all those holes that had to be filled. When the wood is pulled, they'll get addressed.

As for the insert, I'm not sure whether to upholster it or polish it.

Roof Insert Rear.jpg Roof Insert.jpg

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Chopped Moldings and Windshield

When these got checked off the to-do list, I knew things were getting close.

Chopped Molding.jpg

The windshield had a tiny bit of rot on the flange that comes off the back of the frame. Luckily, it's not needed the way we have the dash cover made. Nobody would know that it's gone... except you and I.

Chopped Widshield Frame.jpg

Windshield Modified.jpg

29. -Brent-

-Brent-

Trunk Taillight Access Panel/Cover and Windshield Screw Removal

I know there will be very little room left in the trunk but I still would like to be able to pack an overnight bag or whatnot in the trunk and I'd like to be able to do that without hitting taillight wiring and such. Plus, it looks a lot cleaner.
    Taillight Cover Panel.jpg

Next, all around this car there are broken off fasteners. I still have a few more to deal with...

Here's the screws for the windshield that got tacked and removed.

Windshield Mount Screw Snapped 1.jpg

Windshield Mount Screw Snapped 2.jpg
    (Look at that dash detail! I love that.)

Screws Removed.jpg

30. Nice documentation of your build (love the direction you're taking).

-Brent- and loudbang like this.