Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Subscribed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Aug 2, 2019.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Subscribed

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Yes Joey, I vividly remember my first subscription and it was for Hot Rod magazine after picking up my very first issue at the corner drug store, the year was 1962, incidentally Dean Lowes roadster pickup was on the cover and seeing that photo the die was cast.

[​IMG]

Shortly after that my mom got me a subscription to Hot Rod Magazine I was hooked a 12 years old. HRP

3. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

First one was Hot Rod! Then on to Car Craft, Rod and Custom in quick succession.

4. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

1959 HOTROD magazine. Started subscription after attending my first drag race at 12 years old. Race was held at the old Sacramento State Fairgrounds (1/8th mile). Fist time I ever saw a rail.

5. In 1981 i was eleven years old. My dad was a car guy, but, we never had any car related stuff in the house, Mom probably wanted us to grow up to be doctors or something. Anyway, my uncle had just retired from the navy, came to visit & stay with us for awhile, he took my brother & i to the 7eleven, bought me an orange soda, & a popular hot rodding magazine. I got my first magazine subscription in early '82. Now, i have probably 1000s of mags, & car books.

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1st mag was a 1964 R&C my parents gave me when I was I was seven. 1st sub was Hot Rod beginning with Jan ‘68 issue.

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'm sure it was Hot Rod, but I could be mistaken (that happens sometimes) don't remember what year that was though, and I just recently dropped all subscriptions that I had, because I haven't been reading them as much since they have changed over the years. I guess it was habit that kept me from dropping them years ago since they have changed to no longer contain content that I related to!

8. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

I can still remember my first car magazine ever purchased was Hot Rod Magazine October 1984.

Mom had friends that drag raced a 67 and 69 Camaro at the Englishtown Summer Nationals and I was hooked

Went on a road trip/vacation and instead of the usual comic book purchase I was drawn to the front cover with the pro Street Blown 69 Camaro. I read it cover to cover then back again a few times learning the lingo and discovering the wonderful world of Hot Rodding!

Shortly there after I had mom write me a check for a subscription which I kept active up into the mid 90's. Though I no longer have any of the subsequent issues I still have that very first issue I purchased from the magazine rack and will never get rid of it.

upload_2019-8-2_12-13-47.png

9. squirrel

squirrel

I have the July 73 Hot Rod mag which was the first one I got (dad bought it for me, we were on a long road trip, wanted to keep me occupied). Then he got me a subscription a few years later, April 76 was the first one with my name on the mailing label. Looking back through it, it wasn't a very good issue....but things got better as the van/mpg doldrums passed, and folks got back into going fast.

10. Hot Rod magazine, December 1974.
    Specifically, Gray Baskerville's coverage of Barry Lobeck's flathead-powered '40 Ford coupe.:)
    I was 13 years old and didn't understand Yer 'Ol Dad's slang,:confused: but I knew it was cool and someday, I'd have a hot rod too.:cool:
    s-l1600.jpg img039.jpg Gray.jpg

lothiandon1940 and bondojunkie like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Mostly bought the magazines from the store because I hated how they got mutilated in the mail except for when there was a great discount offer. Now as I look at the prices on the covers and figure out for inflation - no wonder I didn't have money to spend on my car!

loudbang and TBone69 like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

First subscription was popular hot rodding from my grandmother for a few years. I was stoked

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. My first subscription was Rod & Custom, right after they switched to the 'big' pages in '62 (?). Primary attraction was their model car coverage, but I loved the car features too. Particularly the 'Rod Test' features, that's something I wish Rodder's Journal would pick up on. Stayed with them until they ceased publication the first time, then my subscription was converted to Hot Rod. By the mid '90s I was done with all of them as they had pretty much all devolved into shills for their advertisers IMO. The billet/pastel colors/painted chrome/graphics did nothing for me either. Car Craft should have been called Camaros R US, Hot Rod wasn't much better but did throw a bone to the non-Chevy guys once in a while. The re-born R & C tried to hang in there with 'old style' tech but it was pretty spotty, and the 'Custom' part of their name was all but gone. I understand that they were just reacting to market forces, but there was little to hold my attention. I'd pick up an odd issue once in a while, but there just wasn't enough content month to month to justify a subscription.

14. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I honestly don't remember, such a long time ago.

15. Same here although every time my coveted R&C would stop publication, I'd receive a different publication. The first time I received something I was satisfied with [maybe Truckin' or Custom Trucks] but this last time I was sent Motor Trend. Jeeze! I thought I'd have to be hospitalized from the boredom that oozed out of that magazine.
    Signed: Still disappointed

Hamtown Al and dirty old man like this.
  16. stinson

stinson
    from alabama

Crazy a kid on the soccer bleachers introduces a deeper fascination with car mags and now you write for one. Neat story. My first mag was popular hot rodding maybe 98? I can still picture the cover. First subscription was street rodder soon after because it actually had a traditional hot rod snuck in there occasionally

17. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Hot Rod

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

I believe Car Craft was my first, but that was in the late 80's when it was mostly about muscle cars, but I was cool with that at the time. About the same time I started Hot Rod, Popular Hot Rodding and Super Chevy subscriptions.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Probably all they have left to send!

20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Cars and Parts late 60’s. I was 9. Dad’s Christmas gift.
    He also figured out that a JC Whitney catalog kept me occupied for hours.
    My Dad has never been a car guy but he realized my interest and encouraged it.

21. Car Craft, early '60's.

22. brad2v

brad2v

Tex Smith's Hot Rod Mechanix for me, 1988. I'd have been 17. A family friend had me completely hooked by then, after gifting me a substantial collection of R&C, Street Rodder, and Rod Action. And here I am now.
    lil mag rag.jpg big mag rack.jpg

enloe, Dean Lowe, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  23. Hot Rod, 1957. I wore it out reading, and re reading it. I had no clue that 5 years later I would be on the cover of the magazine.

24. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

HOT ROD, paid for with my paper route money sometime around 1970...

25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I honestly don't remember either, but do think it was when I was in my twenties, sometime in the '80s.
    Before that I would pick them up at the grocery store if one caught my eye.
    First subscriptions were probably Rodder's Digest then Auto Buff then Hot Rod Mechanix because they weren't on the shelf

26. Budget36

Budget36

My first had to have been HRM. Then I've subb'ed to Super Chevy's, Street Rodder, Car Craft, etc...now...just the Internet.

27. 6sally6

6sally6

Hot Rod......back when it was 50 cent on the newsstand. I was probably 12-13 years old. (1960/61) No color pictures just green! .......yuk!
    Collected 'em all thru the 60s and 70's(when the factory stuff was king) Branched out to Pop Hot Rodding later because I'm a FoMoCo fan and all Hot Rod knew was 'Shevil-layz'!....yuk!;)
    6sally6

28. Car Craft , high school, mid 1980's.It was all pro street and muscle cars, but that was my thing at the time.

29. My first one was Popular Hot Rodding. I was 10 years old. This would have been 1984. In fact, I used to take my copies to elementary school to read in my free time. A couple of the sports kids (jocks?) ganged up on me and beat me up pretty good for reading car magazines. Piss on them, it still didn’t put out the flame.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v likes this.
  30. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My first was 'HOT ROD'. Older guy, Al Marseline, 24, introed me...one rainy day, driving his '32 Hiboy past Grandma's on Lincoln St., 5" windshield wiper whacking rain like mad.
    1952, I was 10. That car...No fenders, black...low chopped top, big-and little tires.
    Suped-up flathead, hi-stacker Eddie Meyer intake, I'd learn.
    HOT ROD! (They've got a magazine???)
    In '52, that was 'Real George'! Paper drive netted me EVERY issue from 1948. Old guy around the corner. Filled me in on the 'early stuff'.
    Old guy was probably...25! Hot Rod was on the news stand, at Bill's. I bought every issue, every month. NEXT were 'Honk'! Then, 'R&C'.
    Catholic school...Yeah, I hid the 'little pages'. Got a GREAT education.
    Was building my first car in the eighth grade. (chopped '36 Three window.) I chopped it.

Just Gary and brad2v like this.