Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1961 Dodge Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Aug 2, 2019.

1. scotts52

scotts52

IMG_20190330_105505913.jpg IMG_20190330_105450306.jpg Just picked up a 61 pioneer but it has no keys. Hoping someone can tell me which locks share keys so it'll make my life easier. Meaning what lock also works on the outside door key, trunk? Ignition? I need to know which tumblers to pull

302GMC likes this.
  2. 6sally6

6sally6

Are you on the EAST side of Wash State?......I mean.....how can cars that old not rust-to-the-ground when it rains ALL winter and half of spring and fall there! I've never understood that.
    6sally6
    PS Nice find BTW. Wouldn't be toooo hard to make that a 2 door sedan! (jus say'in!)

scotts52 likes this.
  3. MoparTobi

MoparTobi
    from Macon, Ga

Most mopars will be Ignition/door lock with the trunk being a separate key. That's at least from the mid sixties until sometime in the eighties that I can remember. If I'm wrong someone will say.

scotts52 likes this.
  4. If it takes two keys, it's almost always been ignition/doors and trunk/glove box pairings. The fly in the ointment will be if any have been replaced, then all bets are off. My experience is the glove box locks don't always use a full set of pins, just a partial of the trunk lock so they're not a good choice to use.

Bought a truck once that had three keys... ignition and each door. I don't know what locksmiths are charging these days, but after pulling the switch and locks it cost me $35 to have them changed to one key.

scotts52 likes this.

5. scotts52

scotts52

Yes, on the east side. Almost into Idaho.
    Super solid. I haven't pulled things back to check the floors but at first glance I think they're ok.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Ignition and door lock share a key.

Trunk and glove box share a key.

scotts52 likes this.
  7. Have a key made for the drivers door lock.
    It should be in the 35.00 range. If they find the code on the door lock they just look it up and cut the key.
    Same for the trunk.

scotts52 likes this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like the color and patina of it, on that car.;)

9. If it's good enough for Jay Leno... :D

10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I got blanks if your guy can't find any. PM if needed.

11. idreamofthe60s

idreamofthe60s
    from Florida

Parts from a 62 Dodge 880 may fit.

12. daliant

daliant

Hope that big behemoth has more than a slant six in it.
    Looks pretty straight and solid except for the driver rocker and the bumper.

13. scotts52

scotts52

It does have the leaning tower of power. However, I have a 60 that's mostly crushed but has the 8. Most likely 318.

The rocker is an optical illusion. It's not dented at all. The right quarter has a dent but I believe it can be pushed out fairly easy. Bumper not as easy.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.