Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage WISCONSIN FENDERLESS HOT RODS & WISDOT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Jul 1, 2019.

1. A Boner

A Boner

pprather likes this.
  2. UnkkaBobby

UnkkaBobby

And to all the Wisconsin folks that have called, Thank You, Thank You very much!

pprather likes this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

wingnutz likes this.
  4. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Now I know why it has been over four weeks and I still haven't received my hobbyist tags for my AV8... fenderless ofcourse! This absolutly sucks !!! Calling my represenative tomorrow.

Attached Files:

5. A Boner

A Boner

Start a private conversation with Curt R here on the H.A.M.B. and let him know the details....he can probably give you some good advice on what to ask the representative.

Very nice "A" HOT ROD you have there!

6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

hotrodrph. Not saying you should not contact your reps in regards to the fender law matter , but hobbyist and collector apps can take 4 to 6 weeks .

irishsteve likes this.
  7. hotrodrhp

WHRRadio forgot to post very important info

WISDOT DID NOT suspend all "HOBBYIST" plates in Wisconsin!!!

I used the plural of plate because Wisconsin issues two license plateS.

To find your legislator go here https://legis.wisconsin.gov/

heads up for you;
    if you sent in pics of the A or told WISDMV you removed the fenders WISDMV may be deciding to send Wis State Patrol to inspect the A. If you read all of this thread getting WSP involved in your registration may result in a delay due to a WSP inspection. Generally "HOBBYIST" plates take 6-8 weeks to issue. Keep us posted on how things go.
    Curt R

wingnutz, 0NE BAD 51 MERC and racer-x like this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

Things are being worked on, it's going to take a while to determine the progress.

WHAT WE NEED:
    We need anyone who has tried or is ready to go to the Wisconsin DMV and get a title, and, or registration to contact Curt R here on the H.A.M.B. using the "start a conversation".
    It would be BEST to do this BEFORE you go to the WISDMV.

9. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Well I received the title to the model A last week but haven't received the Hobbyist tags yet. An enclosed note from DMV said they would be forth coming but may be coming from a third party? Curious as to what a third party is! Time will tell. BTW I wasn't require to send photos of the car to DMV

10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

hotrodrhp. My last hobbyist plates back in May took about 10 days after the title. whole process took almost 6 weeks. My title came branded Street Modified , does yours say anything? It would be in the lower left where a lien holder would be. Just curious Larry

11. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Title only reads 1930 Ford roadster

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  12. dndrodshop

dndrodshop
    from Wales

I believe Third party = Badger State Industries (Wisconsin Prison System)

tractorguy likes this.
  13. vwfreek

vwfreek

I just got the street modified Hobbyist title back for my 1991 VW Corrado. They didn't ask for pictures. Didn't even ask for color, so that spot is blank...the old title in my name that I sent in pre-dated the color requirement.

irishsteve likes this.
  14. Since you just did this, was it all done by mail, or was there a law enforcement inspection that went with it? I have a T coupe thats still on the original title that most likely would be more correct with the Hobbyist title.Not sure if I want to open a can of worms,or not!

15. why do you think it is more correct with a "Hobbyist" license plate?
    Curt R

16. vwfreek

vwfreek

I filled out the Hobbyist form, checked the street modified box, included a note with a very brief list of modifications, and mailed it in with the title. An inspection isn't required for street modified.

17. Its a rod.Chevy powered.Kind of fits the description of street modified.Since im not one to look for trouble im in no real hurry since the Door co. cops are good so far as long as I drive sanely.Guess if I get called on it I will have to do something,but im 30 years on the road with it,and never really worried until lately.

18. In Wisconsin you are not legally required to apply for a "Hobbyist" license plate because the vehicle is modified. The "Hobbyist" license plate is not mandatory for any reason. A person can chose to apply for a "Hobbyist" plate not be required to.

Many people believe the "Hobbyist" license plate allows any type of vehicle modification regardless of Wis vehicle equipment requirements, wrong!

Just because you believe your rod fits the description of "street modified" does not mean you have to get the "Hobbyist" plate.

A person applying for the "Hobbyist" plate must pick one of the below classifications (title brand) on the application
    STREET MODIFIED VEHICLE
    REPLICA VEHICLE
    RECONSTRUCTED VEHICLE
    HOMEMADE VEHICLE
    because it has been procedure for WISDMV to brand the title with the classification the person picks. If WISDMV decides the wrong classification has been picked they can request a Wis State Patrol vehicle inspection.

The major benefit to the "Hobbyist" plate is a one time registration fee and getting the distinctive yellow on green plate. Some unmodified cars have run a "Hobbyist" plate to avoid the yearly registration fee.

If any law enforcement officer tells you that your vehicle must be registered with a "Hobbyist" plate, ask for the specific State Statute or Code he is referring to. If he refuses, then the best thing to do is be on your way.

Curt R

19. The best thing that could happen is someone taking this to court when ticketed and actually getting a judges decision on it rather than a inspection being forced (?) upon the defendant. That way we have a legal decision on record to base how we approach this. Until that happens, it's all conjecture.

a boner likes this.
  20. Mike

Mike

That's where the case being talked about was headed, but the court dismissed the tickets at the request of WSP, thus allowing WSP to avoid any kind of court ruling.

21. So my question is this, could Brad have not asked for a judges ruling and pass on the request by WSP ? If not, then it's basically a no win situation for anyone getting treated like this. If I get pulled over and am given citations and I ask for a judge to rule on it, and that doesn't happen, but is deferred, what rights then do I truly have ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  22. Mike

Mike

Not Brad's call. WSP brought the charges (tickets) against him, WSP can decide not to prosecute and withdraw them at their pleasure.

23. So Brad was just the ball in their pinball machine, terrific.

24. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Unfortunately, this is the best description of this situation.

milwscruffy likes this.
  25. what is this? in your comment "taking this to court"

what is "all conjecture"?

Curt R

26. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Curt,
    Thank you for describing the actual “rules” for a Hobbyist plate. I know that Others including myself did not understand exactly the requirements for this plate. I would consider applying for the Hobbyist plate but to tell you the truth the Green/Yellow color not very appealing to me.
    Jim

a boner likes this.
  27. Let me clarify for you. Someone getting ticketed and having a judge rule on it is "this", this being ticketed for no fenders, hood, etc...
    The conjecture is commenting on something that we don't know how a judge would rule on this. Until we can get our hands on a ruling, that has been handed down by a judge, that has been recorded for public records ,recently, on "this" it's nothing more than opinions or conjecture at this time. I know we are all on the same page with our take on how the laws read. It would be interesting to see how a judge rules on it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  28. actually the prosecuter and the defendant came to a agreement. Its called a plea bargain. I doubt that the WSP was present during or partook in the plea bargain.

29. That did not occur. The judge told Brad and the prosecuter to work something out or it would go to trial. They apparently worked something out that everyone including Brad agreed with.

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

What is your source of information? This is not what has been reported by people that appear to be in a better position to know what happened than you!

milwscruffy likes this.