Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 2019 Speedweek (pics added 8/13)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RMR&C, Jul 11, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Have fun, post photos when you get back. Bob

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. Been building this little teardrop camper for months. Almost finished. Took it for it's maiden run today....
    No more tents/sleeping on the ground for me....I'm getting too old for that shit anymore.

DSCN1058.JPG

tractorguy, Jibs, Jet96 and 11 others like this.
  3. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

If you had to pick a couple days what are the best Tuesday / Wednesday or ?

4. Day one and two. JW

dwollam, Malcolm and RMR&C like this.
  5. A Boner

A Boner

Sat-Sun biggest crowd.....most racers and spectators.....make reservations in January.
    Mon-Tues might be able to get a room.....racers set record and go home, or blow up and go home.....some spectators leave.
    Wed- racing winding down a lot.

chryslerfan55 and RMR&C like this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Those that go should see this new car. Langlo - Self. A/BFS. Nitro burning blown hemi. Note the four drive tires showing. Worth the trip to see how it does. Pictures taken from LandSpeed web site. 20190722-Blown-Fuel-Steamliner-Car-001-1.jpg 20190722-Blown-Fuel-Steamliner-Car-019.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  7. squirrel

squirrel

I've been thinking about stopping by on the way to Monterey. Probably Sat night, part of the day Sunday. But I probably shouldn't drive the Hudson on the salt.

8. Why not?

loudbang likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I don't want to get salt on such a nice rust free old car. It's just too much trouble to get it out of all the nooks and crannys that it hides in--you really have to take the car apart to get it all out.

10. Yes, you are correct......I took my F-1 pickup on the salt a couple years ago and now I see some rust bubbles on the fenders.
    If you are serious about stopping at the salt flats and seeing some of the action, myself or I'm sure other Hambers would be happy to give you a lift out to the racing.

Jet96, dwollam, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  11. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

The salt is an issue that keeps on giving when you get home.
    Working on an RPU that went out there and it's way crusty underneath now.
    All but six or seven bolts had to be cut off when pulling the fenders.
    I'd like to know how people get the salt off.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I wash the Hell out of it. And as soon as we have a rain storm, I'm up on 280 blasting back and forth between Palo Alto and Burlingame. Best way to wash the underside. The L & S car is built for 500 mph. Maybe not the first time out, But worth seeing.

WildWilly68, Jet96, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Thoes tires are gonna get HOT! and expand. Ask other streamliners, that is the major problem blowing tires on the run. Hope they some cooling vents on the wheel well.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A group of us from Omaha will be there! We'll have a '60 F100, '26 T Sedan, '66 GTO and my roadster.

20171104-BSP_7764-Edit.jpg

Jim, hope to see you there! You are more than welcome to hop in my car or another from our group.

15. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks! I figure it's not too hard to hitch a ride to/from salt/bend

Malcolm and loudbang like this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

17. Screenshot_20180813-110951.jpeg

I spotted this guy on someone's trailer tongue during Speedweek.
    It may look like an innocent snowman, but it is really a vicious Bonneville Salt Creature.
    It eats metal, gets into all cracks, fibers, clothes, carpets, insulation, and even places that sandblasting sand cant reach.
    I try to drive thru rain on the way home. At home I park on top of a cheap walmart spinning lawn sprinkler-sprayer for an hours-long under car wash.
    I still find salt and damage in tight places, near-new bolts and parts turning brown faster than my non-salt vehicles, and carpets that never seem to completely return to normal.
    Next time, my good vehicle will not go past The Bend camping community, and we will try to use sacrificial motorized pit bikes to the track. I'll prolly still have salt probs, but hopefully smaller :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    1947knuck, Frogz, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  18. And check everything before and after the trip.
    here's what happened on the way to Speedweek once when I didnt have time to test everything first...
    "....
    AND DON'T FORGET TO MAKE SURE YOUR SPARE TIRE CARRIER ISN'T JAMMED!!
    Last time - we had a flat on the camper van in the middle of nowhere in the New Mexico desert when it felt like 500 degrees outside, and I couldn't get the spare tire hanger unstuck!
    While cooking in the extreme heat on heat-radiating pavement, I had to attack a road sign, loosen it, uproot it, and use it as a long pry bar to force the spare tire hanger to finally let go.
    Yes, yes, after I used the sign post to rip things out of the stuck hanger, I put the sign back in the hole in the ground :)
    Test everything before you leave the house."

These are fun stories to tell afterwards, but not fun at the time when you know it could have been avoided. :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

62hotcat, Jet96, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

20190722-Blown-Fuel-Steamliner-Car-011.jpg For those to lazy to look at the Land Speed site. This is what an A/BFS engine should look like,

20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I couldn't find it,,, Build Diary's or somewhere else?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. cornfieldcustoms

cornfieldcustoms

I will be in tech again this year helping out. We are leaving Cincinnati early Tuesday for the cross country haul. We will be rolling in the daytona all week. stop and say hi if you see us out

dwollam, loudbang and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

23. My thoughts as well

loudbang likes this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonneville 2019. 2 pre-entries are running on a record I first set in 1985 and still hold today at a much higher speed. I wish them and any others the best of luck as you only "rent" records for a while. In all classes what one might conceive as something that should be attainable and easy never seems to end up that way as the salt gods must see you in a very positive light to reward your efforts.

As a long time competitor and longer time spectator, all those attending but never driving or owning a LSR vehicle should be aware it could become an addiction that is very very hard to shake off causing pain and countless dollars spent doing something that just didn't turn those dollars into noise.

I look forward to following the weeks activities on Landracing.com and BangShift if they cover it this year..

1st Be Safe, 2nd Have Fun, and 3rd finish off the week by Going Fast....JD

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

JD the 302 is in and we are attaching the rear fenders to change from AIR to XO Street Roadster,,, We're coming after you, you've been Sheriff long enough..............

dwollam, chryslerfan55, RMR&C and 3 others like this.
  26. This makes me giddy

dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Do you have a photo of what your pit area normally looks like? I'd like to stop by to visit and purchase a calendar from you.

28. Nick, look for this car[​IMG]

Frogz, dwollam, 1947knuck and 4 others like this.
  29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

And we will have a sales area in the Vendor Area,, we will be lost in the sea of green vests on the line (s) and my trademark Pithhelmet finally had to be retired. We will see if we can sneak out Saturday and get into line for an early pass on the short course

1947knuck, Old Rod, dwollam and 4 others like this.