Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A Car Guy's Bucket List... Make Yours Now.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

A Car Guy's Bucket List... Make Yours Now.

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've done most of the epic car bucket list things at this point... Daytona, Goodwood, Bonneville, Le Mans, Monaco, Pikes Peak, etc...

And to me, the only no excuses, must do it, life isn't complete unless you witness it... is the first lap of the Indy 500. It's absolutely breath taking in a way that I can't necessarily put into words.

3. Le Mans Classic... the best event I've ever attended, all categories! Unfortunately it's only held every other year - already looking forward to 2020.

35574485_186532915375939_7489358662738116608_n.jpg
    35991505_1811867698905890_5969215663321907200_n.jpg
    36035034_247799032619240_3151054627030433792_n.jpg
    36161167_169525537245434_5359229229529563136_n.jpg
    36673207_1963557820375052_1044327688933736448_n.jpg
    36803562_249853155824596_2636841041906368512_n.jpg

Going to Goodwood Revival in September. My first time there, but people I've talked to says it's a great event.

Other stuff on my bucket list would be Rolex Reunion at Laguna Seca and the Reno Air races.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Simple things:
    A Tour de Lemons trip with our 50 Chev ute
    A pass on Lake Gardner
    200 mph at Bonneville

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think I was smart when I was younger in that I did some "pre-bucket list" things that there's no way in hell that I could do now, all of them are more participant based as compared to "the experience" of witnessing certain automotive related venues though I did my share of the early GG shows out here or what I called at the time, some "pretty big deals" so I have no complaints.
    No bungie, parachute, or zip line stuff, screw that, I'm only a little crazy.
    I did dip my foot in the drag racing thing first but realized my pockets were not nearly deep enough so decided to try something with more "seat time"/$$$ ratio and built three different shifterkarts and went roadracing, granted no Ferraris but I can say I raced around the four major West Coast road courses, Westwood B.C. Seattle and Portland International Raceways, and the truest pre-bucket list item was blasting through the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey California, this old body would not survive one lap of that now.
    The one thing I haven't done yet is make it to Bonneville for Speed Week, that's currently my bucket list.
    I haven't finished making it though!

chryslerfan55 and wicarnut like this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd like to take my 8 year old grandson to a national NHRA event. He loves motorcycles so it will need to be one with the nitro bikes.

7. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Soooo...I want to do, not so much see. In 2014 I knocked out driving hot laps around the Nürburgring, though single flat out one as a passenger would be on the menu. My top driving to do's...

1. Mille Miglia (get a watch, drink some wine and drive a few roads)
    2. Lands End to John O'Groats (see Great Britain in the cold and wet sorta non-stop...bottom to top).
    3. Klaussenrennen (drive to the clouds)
    4. There is this informal group of guys with aeroengined pre-ww1 race cars that go tour the French pre-ww1 GP courses in the summer...I need to build one and do that many times, drive all the courses as they all still mostly exist (Le Mans being slightly cut up for obvious reasons)
    5. London to Brighton (sit in traffic and get stuck on a hill?)

if I hit the lottery, then...

6. Pekin to Paris (30 days?!?!?!)

Non-HAMB...

7. Drive the Carretera Austral
    8. The Dalton/1 lap of Alaska

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’m finally checking off the hill climb this fall! I’ve wanted to go since the first one and finally we are going!

As for an additional list? I’d really like to do the GNRS with all that sort of trip entails, the Hershey swap meet, Bonneville

The standards.

A big one for me is to go to some shows I’ve already been to but to take family. I’d like to see my dad and my daughter see some of the things I’ve seen and get to enjoy seeing them love it :)

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like you will need a big ol jar of Grey Poupon!:oops:

10. I just want to be able to drive my heaps to a couple of towns over and back at this point...:(

11. 6sally6

6sally6

EVERY red blooded American man/boy should witness THIS!!
    Absolutely breathe taking..........without ear plugs (just once)
    6sally6

12. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I just hope to finish my bucket list cars I already have. I have built cars for guys all over the world to satisfy my obsession but not my own.

13. Bonneville, Hot Rod Reunion, Pikes Peak & a super speedway Nascar Race.
    Oh yeah, the Hot Rod Hill Climb looks like a good show too.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  14. With a fixed income, I would be happy just building my T to an earlier style and driving it to T.R.O.G. in New Jersey...

15. The Chaparral display at the Midland Oil Museum in West Texas should definitely be on the list. Apart from the cars all beautifully displayed is the fact that that they ran a world class operation from the middle of nowhere. Well worth the lengthy trip. It seems very few people ever visit it which is a crying shame.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

Right now the only thing I would put on my list is to own an old car again and even that appears to be a long shot.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Or even rebuild your web site so we can see you

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My bucket has a hole in it.:( Probably done as much as I’ll ever be able to afford to do. Just have to look at pics and vids and enjoy that way.....

j3harleys likes this.
  19. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I tell everyone I know that even if they dont enjoy drag racing, they must attend a Top Fuel drag race. Just for the pure physics of it. Feel your eyeballs rattle in their sockets and heart skip a beat or two on launch. They must also walk thru the mustard haze and listen to a fueler upclose on startup in the pits. No earplugs -- eyes wide......everyone should enjoy this at least once before they pass on.

raven, j3harleys, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  20. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

-TROG with my own hot rod partisipating
    -Pendine Beach with my own hot rod partisipating
    -Cross country USA in my own old car.
    - Race at El Mirage with my own hot rod
    -Race at Muroch with my own hot rod
    ...and many, many more....things to do.

21. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

Been to some Nascar Races. Seen the Indy 500. Been to the Detroit Autorama. Participated in NHRA National Events. Bonneville is next! Building my first Hot Rod is the biggie and I'm right in the middle of that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  22. Davkin

Davkin
    from SLC, Utah

Sorry, I forgot I had a link here. It's fixed now.

23. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I don't go to many events or shows. I went to GNRS once a few years ago with some friends. That was pretty life changing. Such a great show/event. Every hot rodder should go at least once in their lifetime.

24. What did you say? I can’t hear ya!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. A car guys bucket list, that is the question at hand. There are a great many things I’d like to do, not the least of which is hug Linda Vaughn, also take in TROG east ( New Jersey that is), KKOA in Kansas, Glory Days drags, just to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

raven and loudbang like this.
  26. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Don't have a bucket list. If something looks or sounds good and I decide to go.....I go.
    Was asked to crew a Bonneville car with the option to drive the car and turned it down. Doesn't interest me.
    Any day in a junkyard or a collection of old cars rotting is more interesting than watching other people do things.
    I will add I have been to NHRA National events. Owned a Stock Eliminator car for a while and raced a stock car for 3 years. Been to the Indianapolis 500 once.That was enough.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm happy with what I've already done....but I'll keep looking for new adventures. I'm not very good at watching other people do things, so I probably won't go see those fancy races. But I am planning to redo some previous adventures starting next week....like visiting Bonneville again, and being near Car Weak, and doing this on a crazy drive in an old Hudson Hornet.

28. My list is a little smaller than some on here and certainly not as "grand"..
    1...Spend time with my brothers, sister and father at Bonneville speedweek...check
    2.......Race at Bonneville with my son and brother......check
    3......attend Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance...with my brother........check
    4.......Drive my old 33 ford pickup in Ryan's speed and power meet........check
    5....Run the Texas mile [179.00MPH] in my son's blown ZO-6....Check
    Lastly..........build and drive a chopped 34 ford coupe all of my own... Ding! Ding! Ding!!!!
    Anything more than this [and there's been a LOT!] is just icing on my bucket-cake.
    I'm the luckiest man in the world...seriously.

raven, wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. 1ton

1ton

One of mine was/is to be in Wendover during speed week. Showed up there in 2014 and we know how that turned out.

30. Normant93

Normant93

I love your work!
    Would you create a sketch or painting from a photo?