Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Taken in about mid to the late 80`s. I knew I had a pic of it some where, Thanks Sancho.

2. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

I am friends with Doug, I asked him, he said the car is still in Wichita

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. KustomLincolnLady

KustomLincolnLady

He said he doesn't have a picture of it now, but it's white with flames now

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Thanks for the info Debb (@KustomLincolnLady)! I'm sure if Doug's Dodge ever pops back up, it will be easy to identify. I sure wish Doug would get back into customs..........E

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Doug is a great guy! I remember this car from the 85 springfield show. I looked at my pictures but didn't have a shot of it. Doug had some cool cars over the years, a pink 55 dodge hardtop, the 58 ply convert that @PasoJohn currently has, a really low shoebox ford that I think won the lowest kemp on blocks at the 2000 wichita show, and a chopped white 49 fleetline with a six and some of the loudest strait pipes you ever heard...I am sure there were others too. I guess he is a biker now....

drdave, 54delray, OG lil E and 3 others like this.
  6. I sure haven't seen it around town.

7. Since @KustomLincolnLady said it was still in town I have been sifting through local show photos on carnut.com. I found a photo of it taken at a Toys for Tots run in 2017. I can honestly say I haven't seen it around.
    west110.jpg

Sprout, drdave, John B and 3 others like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

oh my, that poor car....

9. Forgive me for sounding unpatriotic, but that’s sacrilege.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. I agree, but if Doug's Dodge ever became available for a fair price, I'd jump right in. Sand 'er down and repaint it or put it in suede, add some whitewalls and go cruisin'! Strange paint or not, the car still has a great look from the front! E

John B, Peanut 1959, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The way it was. At least it doesn't have ugly mirrors and a set of big wheels on it now. Scan0396.jpg

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That car needs saved, has a lot of kool potential.

loudbang, OG lil E, Sancho and 4 others like this.
  13. What Ever Happened To..........? number 178.

1952 Buick "Blue Suede"
    Owner: Daryl Briley
    California, Kentucky

This week's custom is another that came on strong for a few years and then seemed to vanish. The first time I saw this car was on the 1991 Leadsled Spectacular video shot in Hamilton, Ohio. The car already had a ton of mods done to it including a chopped top and shaved everything. It had scoops in the hood, molded lake pipes and '53 Chevy grille teeth.

Daryl Briley 52 Buick a 91 LSS.JPG

Daryl Briley 52 Buick b 91 LSS.JPG

It also had frenched antennas that looked very similar to the style that Bill Hines used to do. The car was covered in light blue suede hinting at things to come.

Daryl Briley 52 Buick d 91 LSS.JPG

Daryl Briley 52 Buick c 91 LSS.JPG

Inside, the car had a wild interior all done up in blue vinyl that matched the outside. The headliner was done in tuck 'n' roll from front to back. Lots of work but worth it. It had a great look!

Daryl Briley 52 Buick f 91 LSS.JPG

Daryl Briley 52 Buick g 91 LSS.JPG

In 1991 and the next few years that followed, the car was appropriately called "Blue Suede".

Daryl Briley 52 Buick e 91 LSS.JPG

Mr. Briley continued to support the KKOA and attended the Leadsled Spectacular in 1992 (Holland, Michigan) and again in 1993 (Springfield, Ohio). It looked pretty much the same from 1991 through 1993.
    After 1993, I never saw the car on any later videos. I don't know if Daryl quit attending the Spectacular, or the fact that I don't have any late 90s videos to see if he was there with his Buick.
    I didn't have any luck searching for pictures online, and my magazine search came up empty as well. I seem to remember seeing this amazing Buick featured in a magazine somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Daryl did submit his car to the KKOA for their second book that was printed in 2003. The KKOA approved Daryl's car and it was printed on page 148. You can see in the picture it was no longer in blue suede and had been painted a nice shiny blue with scallops. The Buick turned out great and looked to finally be finished.

Daryl Briley 52 Buick  h KKOA2 p148.jpg

This is where the mystery of this Buick really starts. I don't recall seeing it at any show or in any show coverage at all. Another mystery is where was Daryl from? I tried freezing video and blowing up the screen but I couldn't make out the state the plates were from. I'm thinking it might have been Ohio, but that's just a guess. So, I suppose it's up to you custom faithful to see what you know about this great, former "Blue Suede" custom.
    Well gang, that's about all for this week. I've been so busy the last few weeks it seems like I've hardly had time to breathe. I've been trying to get everything all caught up around here and get my non HAMB friendly Merc ready for the Leadsled Spectacular. The car has been fighting me all the way with weird and quirky little problems. I think I finally have it figured out, but I can't say for sure. This evening I'm going to take it for a run down the highway to see how it does. If all is well, I'm off to Salina in the morning. If not, I might have to miss the show this year. At any rate, if I get to go, I hope to see many of you there.
    After the Spectacular, I'm going to take a few weeks off from the W.E.H.T. thread so I can re-group. My files are a mess and I have a boat load of pictures that need to be labelled and categorized so I can find them better. The time I'm wasting trying to find pictures and files is driving me crazy! I'll be back at it with a new "What Ever Happened To..........?" lost or forgotten custom on August 13, 2019. I hope you custom crazies can hold out that long and will join back in on our custom discussions here in a few weeks. You all take care! See you soon! E

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  14. Jay71

Jay71

Much thanks for all your work OG lil E!! Always enjoy seeing what you dig up on these long lost treasures. Really digging the Buick in it’s finished stage!!

15. John B

John B

Daryl is from California........Kentucky

The car should show up on some of my KOA DVDs when we did the Double date in Northern, KY

16. Thank you @Jay71! E

Thanks John! I'll dig into the KOA DVDs and see what turns up. E

17. @OG lil E thanks for the work you put into this thread! I think you certainly deserve a break. We'll all be here, waiting for the 13th!

18. No idea how old this online ad is, 5900.00 seems ridiculously cheap!
    https://greenville-sc.americanliste...-mercury-chopped-look-led-super_29089035.html
    1952-buick-lead-sled.jpg
    1952-buick-lead-sled-engine.jpg
    1952-buick-lead-sled-interior.jpg
    "This is a list of some of the options we can tell you about this 1952 Buick custom:*Air Conditioning*1952 Buick 263 C.I. inline Engine*Motor complete overhaul (power)*Electronic ignition*Two Buick Two Barrel Intake*Power Disc Brakes*Aluminum Radiator-Runs Cool*5 speed Transmission-From Cosworth Vega*Chev Nova Rear End-perfect gearing*60 Buick hubcaps*35 Buick rear window glass*Grill is 53 Chevrolet mold*Doors pop open with hidden electric buttons*Desota Bumpers front and rear*61 Buick Century tail lights*Electrical Window-very slick*Yuga Horn*Steering Column is tilt from 70's Chevrolet*Spot lights are REAL not dummys*CB phone on consul*Hood opens from either side*Has large air bag used to lift the car up*Flame throwers exhaust*Accent Lights under car, in grill, around engine, in trunk"

54delray, Jay71, drdave and 6 others like this.
  19. John B

John B

Here's a couple from the Labor Of Love Car show in Burlington, KY June of 2009

Daryl2009A.jpg S6307824.jpg

A couple other customs that have been mentioned in this thread were there that day as well. S6307708.jpg S6307709.jpg

20. Great information everyone, and thanks for the kudos @Sancho!

Well, the Mercury seems to be cured, so I'm heading out the door to Salina in a few minutes. Late start, but at least I'm going. Hope to see many of your smiling faces there. Those that won't be there, I'll talk to you in a few days. Take it easy! E

loudbang, 54delray, drdave and 3 others like this.
  21. John B

John B

Safe travels, dig up some history to share while you're there!

OG lil E, loudbang, 54delray and 3 others like this.
  22. See you there Ed. Hoping to be rolling in by mid afternoon Friday.

23. Late post, my friend sent me this link

I used to own this car. My father bought if from his good friend wayne who built it. I have since sold it back to waynes son mike. Its still well loved in stratford ct.

Fyi, the order of the paint is primer, then the brandy wine with scallops, then white with flames. It used to say the wanderer on the trunk, then it was rear ended, rebuild, but the wanderer was never painted back on. What do you want to know about it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

have any pics?

Sancho, OG lil E, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  25. I have a couple from the 80s/90s, but not alot. Ill dig them up next time im around where they are

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Ok, ok. I was a bit confused by venturesomerite's post where he said he used to own "this car". Where he quoted OG, lil E's link, it shows a preview of the post mentioning W.E.H.T. # 11, Jon Gullet's 50 Ford Coupe, which never had the flames, brandywine with scallops, etc......

But if you click to expand the quote, or go back to page 6 of this thread, you'll see that OG lil E did a rare double post of W.E.H.T. #11 AND #12.

Venturesomerlite is referring to #12, Wayne Lapuglia, 1957 Ford 4 door. Thanks for that info kind sir. Looking forward to some current pics of this cool kustom.

Sancho, stanlow69, OG lil E and 2 others like this.
  27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Wayne`s car, the bottom 5 pictures. Scan0003.jpg `s car.

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Some better scans. The white paint job was the second version from the late 80`s. Scan0744.jpg Scan0745.jpg

29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

back on response 2833, I said I had some more pictures of Wes Downing's 55 Ford. I found them this morning. These are from 5 or 6 years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  30. Yes, sorry about the confusion. Here are a few pictures from The 80's at my dads station. You can kind of date it by thr gas prices. One of my dads 57s can be see. In the background of one pic. I have more pics from the 90s somewhere. Ill post when i find them. 20190811_163257.jpeg 20190811_163304.jpeg 20190811_163314.jpeg 20190811_163321.jpeg 20190811_163325.jpeg

Sent from my bathtub using a toaster