Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 283 ID. Never seen this.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Have a 283 in question. Back block casting number is 3731548. This indicates a 283 from 57-61.Staggered valve cover bolts seem right look to be standard heads for the day. The exhaust looks like 55-56 passenger but considering what it was in that would make sense to clear the 4wd.
    There are no side motor mounts so that indicates a 57 283. Front pad number is FI008F.
    Here is the issue I’ve never seen a 57 that had verticle bolts for a starter.This was in a Willy’s pickup. Had a fancy for the day cast trans adapter that allowed it to be bolted to the stock trans.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. squirrel

squirrel

then how did they install the starters on all those unfortunate cars that came with Turboglides?

3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Squirrel Never had one. Only had trucks and straight stick stuff. Hadn’t paid attention I guess. The only automatics I remember had those cast adapters (glide) ,and the starter bolted in just like the manual trans bell housing. Question what is the casting boss on the back near the bolt holes there is a slight hole on the same surface where the vertical bolts go. Got any insight on the front pad number.?

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

"F" suffix is 283 Powerglide

Deuces, loudbang and squirrel like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

are you referring to the shallow, large diameter hole in the oil pan rail, between the inner starter bolt hole, and the main cap? If so, it is probably the indexing hole for the machining line. there's a matching hole at the front, between the fuel pump boss, and the front main cap

LOU WELLS and 47ragtop like this.
  6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Ok . That makes sense.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That casting number was used for both the 1957 265 and 283 engines; they just bored them to whatever they were destined to be. 57 was also the first year for the block mounted starter motor bosses, but ONLY the Turboglide cars (like squirrel said) got that feature. I'm wondering if your "283" is actually a 265. The 265 was the baseline V-8, always a 2 barrel engine, and always with a manual trans. But, then there's the suffix (???). Your engine could be an optional 283 also; most don't know in 57 the 283 was an option, not the baseline V-8 engine. If the engine was in front of a Powerglide or Turboglide, it was a 283, 4 barrel, dual 4 barrels, F.I., it was a 283. Or maybe your engine is a collage of parts, such as the 55-56 265 exhaust manifolds. What casting number are the heads? Does the distributor have a windowed, externally adjustable points cap? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. upspirate

upspirate

It's out of a Corvette, I can tell from the valve covers!!!LOL:D:rolleyes:

9. squirrel

squirrel

as mentioned above, it's a Powerglide engine....you can tell by both the F code, and the extra long dowel above the starter mounting holes. (that long dowel went through the block, Powerglide adapter, and Powerglide bellhousing--and someone pushed it forward)

Desoto291Hemi, LOU WELLS and 47ragtop like this.
  10. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Yep weren't they all. There had to be more corvettes than any other vehicle GM ever made.Here is the story. This engine was supposed to have come from a vette. This swap was done in the late 50"s- early 60's to the willys pick-up.I did not take a pic of the trans adapter but it was on point for the time - the front engine cradle is home made - I thought at first it was store-bought- but the workmanship is also on point even for today. The heads have the simple block / box on top. That signifies plain jane everyday 2 bbl head/ 4bbl head to me .- (the power pack 520 head had a single point /triangle on top of that box). This swap also supposedly came from the back door of a chevy dealership of the day in Starkville MS.
    Butch/56sedandelivery, I don't know, but I can find out on the distributor. Don't know the casting numbers on the heads as of yet- I got a call asking to help I.D. this thing- gotta admit - was a good way to spend the day before I crawl back in the paint booth. Kinda never know what you'll find some days.'lol
    Keep it coming guys. All info is welcome.
    I guess I never paid attention as a kid/ or teenager growing up- but buy the time I was in high school there were only 2 55s/ 2 56s - 1 mine/ and 1 57 chevy in town. There were 55-59 pickups/ and one 55 LCF - mine until a few years ago. At that time we were always trying to put everything from a 454 BBC to a Pont 455 in them - you know the drill what ever we had to supposedly make us king of the week/ for cheap.lol. For what ever reason I thought the verticle bolts didnt show up till 60 - so live and learn .

catdad49, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

more info? this is what the Turboglide looked like in 57. First one piece transmission case from Chevy.

57cmpc0346a.jpg

12. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

squirrel-can't tell from the diagram-did the 57 turbo glide have location for the bell housing motor mounts?wonder how they stood up on an aluminum case?Must make a 57 only turbo glide a rare piece

13. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, they had big mount pads cast into the sides of the bellhousing. Note that they also had a rear mount, but I think this was added for 58 models, and the bell mounts stayed so they could replace the 57s with later production units that worked better, but still not good enough?

Here's a great story about some recently unearthed (literally). I guess no one figured out that they were sent back because they're a bad design, and got replaced with powerglides, and the turboglides were dumped out back because no one cared about them or knew what to do with them :)

https://jalopnik.com/the-mysterious-pile-of-1950s-transmissions-buried-at-th-1827058798

. turboglice.jpg

catdad49, 302GMC, LOU WELLS and 5 others like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Yes, it's one of those extremely rare, 2 barrel carburetor, Corvette engines!Just kidding here!!! I've said this before, if I ever do wind up with a Corvette, I'm going to swap a truck engine into it.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. That pic of the turboglide just answered a question for me. Local C/L ad had a 283 engine for sale with a weird torque converter attached. Now I see the light!

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

Corvette production with 283s 43677 there seams to be more than that on craigslist on any given day.

26 T Ford RPU, Deuces and upspirate like this.
  17. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I just looked at my 283 block. It has the bolt holes for block mounted starter. It came out of a 57, was a power pack with 4 barrel and powerglide. Casting 3731548, date code F257. I had blocked decked and can only read 70?C. Never paid attention to starter holes when I was building it as it is mated to a Speed gems adapter and 40 top loader going in my 41 pickup.

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

That makes sense. The bell housing mounts obviously are the same as those on a car manual trans bell housing. I have never heard anything good about the turbo glide. What was the trans that the sedan deliveries used in JR stock ?

19. Fordors

Fordors

The four speed Hydro-Matic. IIRC they got the NHRA to OK that because it was optional in pickups and the delivery was categorized as a light truck also. Maybe not the best reasoning but no doubt the Jr. Stock Chevy guys were pleased.

catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  20. 47ragtop

47ragtop

NO !!

21. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

No to which part?

22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

The factory rubber mounts being the same? Or the info on the four speed hydro.

23. belair

belair

I have a good friend who raced a 57 sedan delivery w/270 horse 2x4, the hydro, and something like 5:13 gears. He said you didn't stay in first gear for long, as it would really jump! Also said they put washers between the carbs and the intake to get more CMF and jetted it way rich.

catdad49, Fordors and Johnny Gee like this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Turboglides used a FIVE element torque converter that was responsible for the "shifts", not that you felt them. They were said to have THREE forward "speeds" by using three turbine assemblies within the torque converter. Sort of like the constant velocity modern automatics that don't really shift either. I found one in an overturned 58 Chevrolet in the woods one day. This was in about 1969, and I did't know what the transmission was, but I still tried to get it out of the car. Probably a darn good thing I finally gave up on it! A neighborhood friend about the same time, parents, gave him their 57 210 Delray with a 4 barrel 283 and Turboglide. He and his Dad rebuilt the engine, but he did't want that transmission in the car. I sold him a stick shift conversion setup I had, and he had a shop do the install (???). They welded the splined end to the lever under the dash for the clutch linkage, and did't get it right, and since they had welded it.........................he just gave up, and sold me the entire car for $200.00; the 283 and 3 speed went into my 56 210 Delray. I was always rebuilding/combining, different broken 3 speeds together after hours at my job with a Standard Chevron Dealer. Always had a spare at home or in the trunk, and a few more around for parts. I still hate that old gear oil smell that you could't just wash off, or get it out of your clothes. And I still have one of those transmissions, only it's an overdrive model, the Muncie 319, along with several Hurst shifters (two NOS) for both the Muncie 318 and 319. Yeah, the Turboglides sucked! A lot of them got replaced with Powerglides. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Nailhead A-V8, 61Cruiser and catdad49 like this.
  25. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

When head casting number is revealed that Should cast some light on it. Thanks for all the info guys and anything you can think of or remember is great info.

26. Yes I would use the best parts out of several busted trans to make a usable one. I remember I would always pull the inpuit out with the trans vertical and tailhousing pointing at the sky. So I wouldn't lose the 14 large and 24 small needle bearings out into the trans case. Im still using the 318 trans in my 55. they have a steep low gear. and I don't cry if I break one. I have a big pile of the 318's and two 319's

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Turboglides weren't called terribleglides for nothing. Back in the day a friend of mine had a 60 Impala a 348 with a Turboglide that couldn't get out of its own way. GM replaced a lot of Turboglides with Powerglides free of charge. They were the worst POS GM ever put in a vehicle. Doubt they would even be a decent boat anchor.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What ever it was in had a stick by the crank bushing... You could get one for a turboglide which was different, larger, ...which one is in this one,1st photo,...Jim?

29. I never saw a 57 turbo glide, but one of my friends had a 58 with the TG and it was a piece of crap. You would not have wanted to own one.
    Bob

Gman0046 likes this.
  30. Had a 60 Convertible 348 with a turboglide it was a bad trans swapped in a Powerglide.

Gman0046 likes this.