Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Battery Cores

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jul 23, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I have about 6 dead batteries taking up space. I was keeping one or two for cores. Called O'Rreillys, they say they give a $10 gift card per battery. Good deal? Anyone done it? So that's 10 bucks worth of purchase power? What's the going rate for core charge when you buy a new battery?

2. NAES

NAES

My local Interstate gives $15-20. Not a bad offset of costs if you bring in 6 cores for a new battery.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

blowby likes this.
  3. 10-20 depending on size

Got 700 for a forklift battery a while back a customer wanted gone!

kidcampbell71 and blowby like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks. Harrumph, I called Interstate here, 12 cents a pound. 50 pound battery, 6 bucks.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think some of it depends where you live. Around here, the core charge when you buy a new battery is $15.

I have trouble keeping an old one about, since I end up getting "new" cars that don't have a battery in them. Then I get the car going, and need to buy a battery for it.

blowby likes this.
  6. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Oreillys has a 5 a day per customer limit.

blowby likes this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Keeps the tweaker crowd down I betcha

8. Stealing batteries out of trucks has become a thing up here

Big 24 volt batteries or 3-4 12volys lined up under a truck easy picking for crack heads to turn in for cash.
    Decent money for them up here

9. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Here the state charges you $12 if you don't have an exchange for EVERY new battery. The local scrap yard buys batteries by the pound. Normal auto battery is $15 to $20 payout.

blowby likes this.
  10. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

But what would I trip over every time I walk around the garage?.........

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Just sold 3 auto batteries to salvage last week, all 3 together brought 17.50. So less than 6 each.

blowby likes this.
  12. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

$5.00 in SW Washington but I think they charge a $20.00 core if you don't have one on a new battery.

blowby likes this.
  13. Was looking at new batteries at O'Riellys the other day. They ding you like $25 if you don't have a core...

blowby likes this.
  14. cs39ford

cs39ford

A few years ago took ten to interstate. Got 10 each. When kids were home had all these under work bench. From all there rides.

blowby likes this.
  15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I didn't know Oreilly's was still doing that, my store even paid for riding mower batteries. Looks like 50 more bucks worth of car parts coming my way, unless the local junkman will pay more :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. We have the same problem in St. Louis. One of our guys was changing batteries in a road tractor outside in the street in front of the shop. He stacked up the cores and went inside to grab a hand truck. He was gone for three minutes tops, and a car stopped and swiped all four cores. We would haves loved to get our hands on them!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Truck64 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  17. The scrap yard I deal with in South St. Louis pays 25 cents a pound last time I hauled them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Its $18 core charge for a battery @Orielly auto. $22 for the larger bus type battery's

Bring your dead old ones in for $10 each recycle when you need to get parts it sure helps.

blowby likes this.
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I put my battery stuff in a filing cabinet, top drawer is for tools and testers. 2nd drawer is for parts- posts, battery cables, ends, battery trays ect… 3rd drawer is for jumper cables and chargers. And the 4th drawer is for old batteries, some good, some not so good. Had stuff scattered all over my shop before.

blowby likes this.
  20. no55mad

no55mad

Carquest will occasionally have battery purchasing offers. Have seen $10 and $20 deals.

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Bump and a quick FYI. O'Reilly still giving $10 store credit for a core, charges $18 if you don't have one. Costco charges $15.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Here’s a tip: if you recycle at a place that pays by the pound, make sure it is full of fluid. Top off with water if low.

CN

Beanscoot likes this.
  23. Unfortunately they deduct for the weight of the "acid" by paying a lower price.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call the battery "rebuild" shops. They always pay more than parts stores or scrap yards, at least in MI they do. Last time I purged old batteries I got $12 each, had 5. Gas money...

Beanscoot likes this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I always keep one completely dead battery around.
    When I melt scrap lead, I scrape off the dross and dump it into the dead battery. It's a great way to dispose of toxic lead scum, bypassing the screwy hazmat bureaucracy.
    However the battery must be utterly dead, or exciting things will happen when the lead scum shorts out the plates.

Otherwise, they are a big heavy piece of crap to have hanging around.

Truck64 and seb fontana like this.
  26. Look at the bright side; it wasn't too many years ago that you had to pay to dispose of old batteries...

egads and Hnstray like this.
  27. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Anyone else here old enough to remember taking the old tar top batteries apart cell by cell and putting 6 good-ish cells together to get a working-ish battery? Man I'm getting old...

dirty old man likes this.
  28. jhexide

jhexide
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

check lead prices online, it goes up and down...

i used to work at a battery company ,too the new batterys that were shorted off the line ,and replaced the shorted cells

29. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

No, but some people do more or less the same thing with cordless tool battery packs.

30. Pretty interesting video showing a man (Pakistan/Afghanistan?) repairing a battery using very simple tools. Unfortunately the working conditions are very poor, considering he's handling lead. :eek: Craftmanship is impressive nevertheless.

Beanscoot and egads like this.