Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Route 127 Worlds Longest Yard Sale Any one else going?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Jul 23, 2019.

1. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The wife and I are going to do the Worlds Longest Yard Sale for about the 8th year in a row next week. It runs from the Michigan-Ohio border to Alabama on route 127. Over the years we have covered from Michigan to Crossville ,TN. This year we are starting in Alabama and heading north for as far as we can make it in 4 days. I have found some really good car parts, old toys , signs, oil company collectables and so much other stuff that I can't pass up. My wife looks for things for the grand kids and junk she likes as you never know what you may see. This trip a high point of the year for us and we always come home with a truck load of goodies.
    I have bought every thing from a box of nos Chevy nameplates and horn buttons in Kentucky to a porcelain Hupmobile sign in Ohio to a foot locker full of 3in1 AMT model kits in TN over the years. Can't wait to see what we find this year!
    Any body else going this year?

low budget likes this.
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I wish we were. My wife and I did it one year on our trip to the Nationals in Louisville and recommend it to anyone that hasn't done it. It's amazing the stuff you see and it just keeps on going and going. As Buckeye states there is a lot of car related stuff.

3. I am originally from Gadsden Al where it starts down here and I have never gone to it. I always figured it was like most flea markets and full of used clothes, imported vegetables and Chinese junk. I may check out part of it if you say there are car parts along the way. Whats it like, is there a lot of yards along the highway with stuff or do you have to drive a long way before you see a yard full of junk?

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, if you find something that may be a "common" do you buy the first one you see or hope for a better deal later on? take a truck with camper and trailer?

5. One time I was doing my regular Scale dodge in the Peterbuilt and got in that yard sale traffic On Crowleys ridge in Missouri east of Advance Mo.. I seen lots of people and lots of stuff along the highway took me a hour to drive 10 miles.

6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

If I see something I want and the price is right I usually buy it right then. I take my pickup with a cover, I do see people pulling trailers but with all the traffic and sometimes limited parking it looks like a PITA to deal with a trailer.

7. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I don't want to give the impression that there are a bunch of car parts, gas station stuff etc. but there is some. Yes there is a whole lot of used clothes, junk tools, baby toys and just plain yard sale junk. You learn pretty fast to scan whats put out there and move along. Some of the sales are just folks that set up in their yard and you will also see big fields that out of town venders buy spots to set up. The prices range from bargain basement good deals to 10 times what something is worth. You never know what you will find is what keeps us going back year after year. There have been some years that I have found some really good deals and sold enough of the items I bought to pay for my gas, rooms and other expenses and still come out ahead and there have been some years that I didn't find that much and went in the hole a little. Which ever way it goes , we have a good time, see some nice country and meet some great people along the way.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  8. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I can see where the yard sale traffic would be a huge pain for folks just traveling through and especially truckers but that's just the way it is. I have seen a few close calls but never an accident in all the years we have been going

9. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

We go every year...

10. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

We always do the Southern half.

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Any tips on really good places to check out in those areas?

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Looks like we’ll be going! I’d heard about this, but never really checked it out! We have one here I Oklahoma , but a lot smaller. We were trying to think of somewhere to go and do something different.......so, since we like garage sales, we’re going! We’re going to start on the Southern part and work our way North. Hope to make it to Michigan, as we have friends near Battle Creek............like I need more junk!

Thanks, Buckeye!

Bones

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Jalopy, I learned my lesson at HERSHEY, when I see something I buy it. I'm not going back to find the part was sold.

RICH B likes this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Like Oldiron, I’ve gotten caught up in the traffic. Had a customer in Crossville TN, I’d always go up 127 at night , it wasn’t bad, but coming back in the mornings could get messy. I’ve never been to the sale itself, my wife mentioned the other day that she’d like to go, so we might end up going from Gadsden to the state line. When is it this year?

15. 97

I have made a lot of USA trips and tours, but had never heard about this until a couple of weeks ago...there was a TV program here in New Zealand about it.
    I saw some stuff made me want to jump in the TV .... might be a cool detour on the way to Bonneville next year! I can just imagine turning up at the salt with a 40 foot trailer full of yard sale junk...:D
    Official website
    http://www.127sale.com/

16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

X2

17. I live in Cleveland Tn we get the 127 and the hwy 11 and rhe hwy 411 every year. I like the antiques better on 127 near rising fawn and gadston in alabama. I have lots of furniture from that sale. More cars and parts on 411 closer to athens tn.

Sent from my smartass phone when it wants toThe H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

August 1-4