Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Quality HEI 4 prong Module (Made in USA)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jun 21, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Nope it's not a import
    BWD Select Part # CBE4
    Made in USA BWD Automotive
    37-18 Northern Blvd
    Long Island City N.Y
    Gene

2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well today my cheapo Ebay module died, in the hot sun of course. Didn't have 50 miles on it. The old stock module lasted 40+ years. Then I remembered, those Ebay modules were so cheap I bought 2, and there it was in the glove box. Back home now, wondering where to get a good one.

This Made in USA one sounds good, any thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevy-I...120140?hash=item4ad3b0340c:g:y00AAOxyPLpRe1TA

3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I snag all the old HEI distributors I can, just to have a few spare modules. I and everyone I know has not had much luck with the aftermarket versions.

squirrel likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Advance and OReilly both list it, thirty bucks....give it a try. Hey, it's easy to spend your money.

5. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Is there anything wrong with the current AC Delco or Accel(both $50) units?
    Been out of the loop on HEI replacement bits.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Don't know. Isn't some of the Delco stuff made in China now (not that they haven't figured out electronics, my 55" TV works great)?

Speaking of Accel, I should point out that the coil that has been on there for the last 3 decades at least has about 1 ohm resistance (with all wires connected) and is running straight system voltage. No idea what HEIs are supposed to have. Somehow I mounted the HEI stuff in an old style distributor and the module is external.
    0723190710_HDR-1_resized.jpg

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. Back years ago when I was the ONLY one making HEI distributors for makes other than GM (AMC, Jeep, Studebaker 6 &V8, Packard, Hudson (Clifford Performance bought a whole boxful of ign&distributors from me at a time), some Ford, some outboards and forklifts) , and had the market all to myself when no one else wanted in, I discovered that the best way to make a module last a long long time was to get it out of the engine compartment heat, and mount it on a well grounded metal plate in the passenger compartment under the dash.
    If it ever does fail, it takes only a couple minutes to unplug, and plug a new one.
    It changed a ritual of once every two year replacement under the hood in a parking lot far from home, into a ten year lifespan before I needed to change the next one in two minutes time.
    MOVE THE MODULE TO SOMEWHERE COOL.
    I still use one I built for my Stude truck in the 1980s almost daily. It still starts right up.
    I think I went thru 3 modules so far.
    Jack Heidel just set FIVE NEW SPEED RECORDS in his Studebaker Avanti just last September on the Arkansas Mile.
    He opened his hood and proudly showed me that he is still using the Stude HEI I built for him in the 1990s.
    THAT WAS SO COOL!
    I am so glad he did that.
    IT MADE MY DAY :)

Mine would sizzle and jump a one-inch gap.

View attachment 4362351
    WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Hamtown Al and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  9. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

blowby likes this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Easy enough, 'bout time to peek under there anyway. I seem to remember cutting a shaft but I don't even think I owned a lathe back then, might have been some other project. Maybe just an HEI shaft in the points housing.

Yes, I agree with the cooling. Mine is on a bracket bolted to the bell housing, which I figured was cooler than in the distributor. The bracket was darn hot yesterday when it failed though. I had looked around for another spot but on a fiberglass car (C2 Vette) good metal spots are hard to find. Maybe I will screw it down inside the glove box, right next to the spare modules. :)

That said, I had been running to school and back, all neighborhood streets, for some time with the cheapo module. Yesterday when it failed I had just gotten of the highway, and had punched it couple times (the old 454 still gives a bit of a thrill) and I also wonder if rpm or load has any bearing on it.

0723190824a_HDR.jpg

11. Indeed...I bought an AC Delco water pump for my o/t Camaro from Rock Auto. Was surprised and disapointed to see made in China when the box arrived.

12. Screenshot_20190304-220920_Chrome.jpeg
    My homemade Studebaker, AMC, Jeep, Hudson, Packard, Ford, speedboat&forklift HEIs 30 yrs ago packed a real punch, and could light up a room :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my big block and LT-1 C3 vettes the distributors were TI and had the transistor box on the front of the drivers side inner fender to keep it cool. I replaced the transistorized module with modern guts but left it in the factory location for cool factor. You could buy one of the those boxes, clean the engine bay up a notch and keep that module cooler while you're at it.

blowby likes this.