Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects garagefind/ survivor 40 coupe build. FIRED IT UP!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by joel, Sep 26, 2014.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some problems with the seat; I can't get the seat to slide. I'm taking it back out. I should be sanding on the front fenders:(

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The RR fender is installed. I also installed (temporarily ) the running board for a last check of fitment to the RF fender. Half of the bolt notches in the board need to be stretched about 3/32".
    IMG_1253.JPG IMG_1254.JPG
    I pulled the front fenders for sealer and paint; the next time they go one will be the last.:)
    IMG_1255.JPG
    Later today I hope to have the LR fender on.
    IMG_1256.JPG IMG_1257.JPG
    I registered the car for plates last week; we're going to Louisville. My number is above 4000. WOW

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It's fun to watch you approach the end of this great build Joel. I imagine it is getting harder to walk away from the project each night as you can see the end so close now.

loudbang likes this.
  4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some days it feels like I'll be driving any day and others I can only see the unchecked boxes on the TO-DO list.
    Sam, did you glue the welting strips to the running boards when you installed them?
    IMG_1259.JPG

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you figure out your slider issue? I had one that once I carpeted the floor under the seat the runners made contact with the wool and it didn't move. I machined up 3 spacers that did the trick. Your 40 sure looks sweet. Been following along, I like your attention to detail.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I noticed that Ford had used staples to hold the welting in place. Since I did not have any means to staple the welting on I drilled some 1/8" holes in the running board and riveted the welting to the running board. the method worked very well.You can see the pictures on page 14 post 397 in my build thread.
    [​IMG]

7. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It turned out that it was some binding, probably because the "feet" that bolt to the floor. I also added some lubriplate to the tracks. I found that bolting the feet to the floor first and keeping them straight with each other was easier to install the seat. There was some upholstery between the track and the frame. Maybe a slight bind there.

8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AH! I have repo boards . Good idea with the rivits. I knew you would have a good solution. Thanks, Sam.

32SEDAN, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  9. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1263.JPG
    I had to move the truck to the front part of the garage and I took a picture of the two together. The truck is about 5 in. taller. It must be the cab. the truck tires are taller even though both vehicles have 15 in. wheels. No, I'm not chopping the truck :(.

10. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The upholstery guy was here and I was going to fasten the welting on; he suggested using the adhesive he used on my headliner. I tested a small piece and it worked great. 3M headliner adhesive. I got it at O Rilles.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

We contemplated using the adhesive but getting the welting to conform to that notch seemed like it was going to be difficult to do. Glad it worked out for you Joel.Check another to do off your list!

loudbang likes this.
  12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finishing the install of the garnish moldings. The windshield pieces were challenging. IMG_1265.JPG IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1267.JPG
    I have to re mount the tach and install the rear view mirror.

13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13 days before I leave and it's going to be very close. This is where the car is this morning. IMG_1272.JPG IMG_1273.JPG I'm shooting for the first real drive tomorrow.

14. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Cool build, just read through it all. Glad to see its getting closer to "finished"

loudbang likes this.
  15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, but it's not as close as it needs to be. We cracked one of the back windows last night putting the glass back in. I have a couple of pictures of the front with the new bumper. IMG_1277.JPG
    Wish I had the hood done. The other pic is after I installed the door sill seals. IMG_1274.JPG
    I threw an old stock style rear bumper on also.

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

You must be taking time out to sleep:) Time to get er done Joel. you can always drive it without the hood. What's the hold up on the hood, too many louvers? The car is looking great Joel!

17. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right about the hood, Sam. I was afraid finishing the hood paint would make my goal of going to Louisville impossible. It turns out that it may be too much anyway.
    Thanks for the kind words; I thought having a deadline to work against might be a benefit. I'm sure you know that sometimes you just can't hurry. 9 days left!

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I sense that you will not sacrifice the quality of the build to get it to the show and that would be wise. I do hope you find a way to get it done though. A build deadline is a great motivator but sometimes obstacles combine to make it very difficult to accomplish. You could probably drive the truck and have a lot of fun getting to and enjoying the show.
    Wishing you success!

19. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wise words, Sam. The transmission in the truck is almost toast so it's out of the picture for now. If I can get some good shakedown miles on the coupe, I'll drive it. I want to put the hood on, so it'll be in prime until after Louisville.

20. Good job. Wish mine was that nice.

loudbang likes this.
  21. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_1279.JPG
    Thanks for the kind words. A lot has happened since my last post; I did get to drive to a local cruise in. I'll cover that later today. I did take a couple of aspirational pictures.
    IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1282.JPG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    putz, 32SEDAN, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got a couple of pix after a test drive. I had a roll back ride home from the cruise in because the car wouldn't start (no fuel). The consensus was fuel pump failure, but this was the culprit.
    IMG_1293.JPG IMG_1295.jpg
    This was supposed to be the correct push rod for my roller cam. Here is a link to it's replacement
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-4609 . The car is back running after an oil change and I'm still evaluating collateral engine damage.

23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of pix for the wallet
    IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1289.JPG
    I'll be looking for seat belts soon.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Little dude will have a fine photo to show his buds that his dad was real cool back in the day. :)

OLSKOOL57 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

It's good you found that problem close to home Joel! I have never heard of the need for one of theses roller push rods before. Looks like a great idea as long as you can get the right length for the job. Have you checked the cam lobe yet?

The car is looking great!

27. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Sam. I'm thinking there wasn't much contact with the steel tube of the Comp pushrod because of it's design,so I feel confidant that cam damage it small if any. But I've been wrong before, so I'm trailering the car to Louisville to restrict mileage. When I get back, I'll inspect the new pushrod.
    The roller cam in the engine can't be used with a stock hardened pushrod; it will damage the lobe on the cam. This is my first experience with this type of cam although I purchased it in 1968 for this car.:rolleyes:

28. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update from Louisville.
    At Lowe’s looking for brass fittings to change a fuel pump. Fellow club member had a failure. IMG_1296.JPG

29. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I trailered the 40 here, but I’m driving the piss out of it here

30. That's one beautiful 40!!