Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Old cars Not for sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rs57, Jul 21, 2019.

1. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

2496DF1D-A1E5-4F1A-BC3D-64AAA8163B3F.jpeg I know I will get bad comments about this but!
    If someone has a car in feild , barn
    Under a tree etc .
    It’s theirs they can do what they choose. Even if they are cripple blind of even if they are crazy or 100 years old .
    Yes be nice maybe if someone could
    Put it back on the road but whoever
    Owns it can do what they please
    Ask politely and walk away .
    No need to talk about what a idiot they are for not selling ( especially not selling to
    You )
    Same at car shows
    Don’t pick some guys car to death
    Maybe he likes it .
    Maybe that’s all he can afford .
    If only rich guys liked old cars
    Guess some of us would be out of
    Luck ( me for one )
    and they would all be trailer
    Queens .
    Nothing wrong with trailer queens but again
    It’s theirs !
    And on the old abandoned ones
    Maybe it means something to guy
    And has it setting there because he wants to and it’s his .
    Maybe he plans to fix it up
    he’s 85 years old but keeps his
    Hope of doing something alive
    Same As said by plenty of guys on here
    And other sites .
    and as your mama told you
    If you can’t say something nice don’t
    Say anything

2. Maybe we need a Not For Sale I am gonna fix it up someday thread?

3. Good words- But the point is?

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. The point is Different strokes for different folks. There are different ways to enjoy old vehicles. For some its great fun just telling someone its not for sale. for others its shooting a 57 chevy cab setting & rotting 015.JPG full of bullet holes.

partsdawg likes this.

5. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My neighbor has a rusty 55 Olds 98 parked out beside his garage which is right beside my driveway. I have had 12 or more guys stop and ask what I want for it. I tell them it isn't mine and it is not for sale. I get the " every things for sale at the right price " line. I have gotten so tired of these jokers I have started telling them it is not mine but the owner said he would take $20K for it, there is no title and I think it is probably stolen. I put a NOT FOR SALE sign on it for a while but that seemed to attract more low ballers so I took it off. My neighbor even put a cover over it one time and then I had them stopping to look under the tarp and then bugging me for a price. I finally told him to move the SOB to his own driveway to deal with the idiots or I was sending him a $20.00 service charge for every asshole I had to deal with. So far I have collected 0:rolleyes:

catdad49, Texas Webb and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  6. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I usually get the, "it's not for sale, one day I'm gonna restore that car". 10 years later, it's still in the same place but a little more gone. Every one has their dreams and if that's what keeps them going, so be it.

oliver westlund and flatford39 like this.
  7. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

:):)

8. And just so you know the bullet riddled 57 cab IS NOT FOR SALE

Thor1, belair, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  9. 66gmc

66gmc

I had a beat up ford f1 in my driveway and got bombarded with people asking if its for sale. One guy even told me he was coming back with cash and never did. Finally I put it up for sale, and as soon as it was for sale no one wanted it.I tried selling it for 5 months, one day I got bored and moved it in the garage. I chopped the top, popped a few dents out, slapped some primer on it and then rolled it back into the driveway. A couple months later one of the mouthbreathers stopped by to tell me that I had ruined the truck. He started going off about how he had been planning to buy the truck off me and make it a rat rod, but now I had ruined the patina ect ect. Then he told me he might still buy it from me, at that point I told him ITS NOT FOR SALE!

The moral of the story is that there's nothing wrong with asking if somethings for sale as long as you are polite and are actually planning to buy.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. No one ever asks if my stuff is for sale. I guess I collect undesirable stuff..:(

bedwards, catdad49, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I drove by a 61 Bubble top chevy when I lived in the white mountains of Az. for 2 years . Finally I saw the guy in the front yard . I asked him if it was for sale . He said no and I would see him walk to work and to the grocery store because he did not have a running car . I went by there again with real nice 64 Galaxie 390 auto factory A//C . Arizona car. I told him I would trade him even up for the car. He said no, he was going to fix it up some day.
    I moved to the Grand Canyon, but happened to go back to that town to get some Chevy11 parts.
    I drove by that guys house and his kids were jumping up and down on the roof of the car and the windows were all smashed. I stopped in and told him what an asshole he was and how he had let an American classic just sink into the ground, and now it was worth nothing.
    So jump on my case , but that was a total waste.

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That sounds about like my luck. Don’t want to sell, everybody and his half brother wants it. Try to sell, can’t give the damn thing away.

46international and 66gmc like this.
  13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Never understood why people get worked up about cars they can’t buy. Makes no sense.
    Just my opinion.

Paul, Old wolf, egads and 1 other person like this.
  14. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I give zero fucks what anyone else’s opinion is.

15. Most of the chumps who ask if it is for sale don't have the money to buy it anyway. I used to get the walk-buys who would ask if it's for sale, and I would say a price, and they would agree, then say "I'll come by tomorrow with the loot".
    Tomorrow never comes.

arkiehotrods and Bearcat_V8 like this.
  16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

everyone with a car on their property should just scrap it after two years sitting, then we won't have to read these lame threads anymore

17. Crayons

Crayons

Actually I believe that advice came from Bambi's father. ...not his mother.

belair likes this.
  18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I couldn't agree more with your statement. The only issue I have are the ones that seem to take some perverse pleasure in going out of their way to display something so they can engage you just to tell you it's not for sale. It's like guys at swapmeets who bring their travelling museum out with the same items every year and when you make an offer they take delight in dressing you down. I often wonder sometimes if I agreed on their price if they would even let it go then.

46international and danman55 like this.
  19. It's really funny when someone knocks on your door and ask if something is for sale, The guy that I am politely informs the inquisitive stranger, "No sir it is not for sale" while all along I'm thinking ,do you see a for sale sign?

It doesn't happen as much as it use to but I have had several people stop and ask me if the Model A in the side yard is for sale and after a while I started saying yes, bring me 1,500 cash and it's yours, I hear that is too much which I reply that's what I want.

No one has yet stepped up to the plate and bought the car. HRP

[​IMG]

VANDENPLAS and el Scotto like this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

I'm kind of surprised that I haven't had any of those people come to my house yet.
    There's a particularly rural section of town and parked by a barn is a 60s-70s Chevy sedan sitting in front of a barn. At one time he had a big spray painted sign in front of it saying something about it not being for sale let it rust in pieces.

In high school there was a guy who lived not to far from school that had an early GTO or LeMans sitting in his yard, never moved it or worked on it.

21. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

22. Ive been advertising and selling some OT cars & trucks & parts on the Facebook Marketplace. And I get folks asking about the other stuff that's in the background of the pictures I post. So ive been shifting my hoard and putting my sons vehicles and ones I want to keep around the west side. and the stuff that will be sold or taken to the scrapper in the back. Been too hot lately. However its cooled off today.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. My brother was selling his home in a fashionable N Dallas neighborhood.He has a Nice Custom pool table..potential customer asks him of the pool table went with the house..his reply "Hell no and neither does my underware"another asked about the local bus service,,He just told them that if needs to rely on bus service,They could not afford his house..My bro does not mince his words..God love him.

24. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Just a couple miles west of my home town sat a 1960 Chevy Belair 2 door post. It was a very nice North Dakota car. It couldn't have sat there one week when I asked if it was for sale for the first time. Not For Sale was the answer, that was my grandpa's car. I stopped back every year for 15 years and it just sat there sinking into the ground, mice were inside chewing up the interior. Not for Sale was the answer. The last time I stopped the guy was in very bad shape (meth?) and we kind of got into it. I said o.k. looks like I'll buy it at your estate sale. I never went back. It and the house are gone now. It just wasn't meant to be.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  25. Back in the late 70's there was a honest to goodness Thunderbolt sitting beside a garage with junk piled up beside it, the garage had been closed for a long time and most gearheads knew about the car and had tryed to buy it, I had seen a bunch of cars and notes laying on the floor and in the seat but no one I know ever bought it.

Later on someone had painted a not for sale sign on the rear glass.

There was no engine or transmission but it still retained the bubble hood, sometime in the 80's it disappeared, I was told it had been moved inside the garage but there was no way to see inside.

Today the garage has been torn down and the lot has been cleaned up, I don't have a clue as to where the car ended up. HRP

26. You sometime just have to be lucky to be there at the right time to buy a lot of not for sale cars. Ten thousand people get the 'not for sale' and then the ten thousand and one person is there at a time when they decide to part with it for various reasons. Sometimes the old codger just don't like your looks. There is an old junk yard not too far from me that has a lot of 50s-60s cars in it. If you show up with long hair, tattoos or a beard or "not from around here" accent, he won't sell you anything.

31hotrodguy, danman55 and Old wolf like this.
  27. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

sounds like a law the people from California would pass lol

28. There are more than enough that can be bought . I simply don't worry about those that are not for sale. We was wanting to buy some 1949 thru 72 chevy trucks. So we placed a free add in the local weekly shopper Paper . It stated wanted 1949 thru 1972 chevy trucks. will pay up to $500. and we bought over a 100 trucks in a couple months.

29. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

13 yrs or so ago i was daily driving my first car, 1954 ford customline 4 door. i realozed the shape under the tarps behind a house on my way to school was a 2 door 53 ot 54! probably a half mile from home. i stopped by with dad and it was a 53, they showed it to us but it wasnt for sale, grandpa had died within a few yrs and grandma was saving it for her grandkid to rebuild. 13 yrs later it was moved but still under the same car cover and tarp....damn tarps to hell. i figured why not and stopped by. they sold it to me for 300 bucks! now im doing a period custom job on it and gonna surprise dad with it for his birthday! i wish they had let it breath...so much rust

31hotrodguy likes this.
  30. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

I agree with that if at all possible hid
    Them if you don’t want to be bothered
    I know not every one has room to do that
    Luckily I live in the country
    Have plenty of trees so out of sight
    Out of mind
    Nice ones are kept in buildings .
    You have one setting where they can see it they are going to ask
    If very easy to get thieves now have
    No problem with snatching with a rollback
    They will grab a nice one just as quick
    Guy was showing a 57 convertible to potential buyer .
    Buyer setting be hind wheel car running buyer says can I drive
    It seller says sure let me shut the
    Hood you know the rest seller shuts hood starts around to get in
    Guy throws it in gear takes off !!!