Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spark advance? Help settle a dispute!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Eclector, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Eclector

Eclector

Ok, so here it is:
    Distributor rotor turns in a CW direction.
    Manual advance lever rotates the body of the distributor to provide either spark retard for starting or advance for running.
    With the distributor rotor turning clockwise, would moving the distributor body counter-clockwise provide advance or retard to the spark?

I say that moving the body CCW advances the spark because it would be sparking earlier in the cycle. My friend says that it retards the spark. Who is correct?

2. Fordors

Fordors

You are correct. Always move distributor opposite rotation to advance timing

loudbang likes this.
  3. Yep,
    I’m going to leave the CW / CCW alone ...
    Some are different and Pontiac is one.

Move distributor in the direct Opposite of the rotor will advance the timing aways works.

loudbang likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Now you know who not to let work on your ride.:)

firstinsteele and loudbang like this.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Eclector -

You do not mention the engine. That info would have been a good idea to note, don't you think..?

NOT......always.
    Make sure of the shaft rotation per the engine you have. Also 4 and 6 cylinder engines may be different depending on which side of the engine the distributor is on.
    Not ALL distributors rotate the same direction..! Read that...two gear cam drive V-8 engines, the distributor shaft rotates counter clockwise.
    Studebaker and early Cadillac for two. Probably more.

Also, some early turbocharged engines...the vacuum "advance"...actually "retarded" the ignition timing..! So THAT isn't a "given" either..!

Mike

6. 34Phil

34Phil

I just look at vacuum advance can. It pulls to advance.

bob b. likes this.
  7. I normally do the same thing also... But if the dizzy don't have vacuum advance then what !

8. Model A spind ccw.