Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Minnesota mother load auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Stogy, low budget and VANDENPLAS like this.
  2. Nice collection. Looks like the1934 Ford roadster hotrod is a cutdown coupe with a boat windscreen.

VANDENPLAS and jakespeed63 like this.
  3. If a man can't find something there he's not interested in old cars, I would love to be able to walk through there and look at all of the cars and the cash to bring some of them home. HRP

4. Quite possible that some of these will get scrapped
    Imho, not enough time and talent in this hobby to save all these, as well as, the countless others also becoming available. All those junkers you see in the woods are doomed to go back to Mother Nature.
    Sure wouldn’t mind having that ‘34

JT

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.

5. 10% buyers fee I wouldn't spend a single dollar. I hope they all get scrapped

6. catdad49

catdad49

Lots of great and not so great cars. That 1942 Studebaker Skyway coupe is 1 of 300 produced before WWII intervened. If there's all these vehicles, there must be parts! What an accumulation.

Deuces and jakespeed63 like this.
  7. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's why it's called the "Mother Lode".

Deuces and belair like this.
  8. belair

belair

You don't load your mama.

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thanks for sharing!

10. hudson48

hudson48

So the seller uses a professional organization to do all the hard work required to photograph cars,list description, run the auction professionally,handle the payments and all this should be free? So you would rather see all scrapped than pay a modest fee(depending on the car) maybe only an extra $100/200 or so and still save this stuff. The buyer will determine what a fair price is including the fee which is part of a normal business transaction. It's called free enterprise.

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Based on the bids so far I’m pretty sure they are unconcerned you aren’t bidding

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

157813E0-60D4-4F78-A948-930CEC2E35CE.jpeg 88CA7575-830B-4C12-92A4-736DCAF5ADDF.jpeg 18EA7F20-2C22-4CEC-9424-AA6AFD3156D0.jpeg 2B4BF333-D41B-4B56-B16E-EC1C6B9310EF.jpeg 2EA80960-4DBB-438F-9CD5-461ED4727F81.jpeg 9132510B-B720-4F87-A07F-A393DA19C236.jpeg 6D7973C9-89D7-4A28-94A8-A3710C46B253.jpeg 90371026-4AC2-4CAD-BA96-E8B3C3FAE1D9.jpeg 84C10B41-E9AB-4B58-9B7B-1C2D1DB20534.jpeg E89B6298-520B-4F52-81FF-DB4BE2666EF6.jpeg Perhaps someone else will post more pics of the Vanderbrink auction I was at today in Zimmerman Mn. ‘32 cabriolet,3 Model A roadster bodies and much more. Here are my lousy pics. Saw a few H.A.M.B. members there.

13. Wow. The '32 Ford truck project sold for $325. Cowl, dash, firewall, and chassis. Sure hope that was you.

VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  14. SR100

SR100

I agree with you in principle. Unfortunately, its a typical Vanderbrink auction. They are really good at advertising, but awfully lousy at descriptions. Here's the complete description of a 1950 Hudson:
    "You are bidding on a 1950 Hudson Coupe. Title. It is black in color. Original. 80,465 miles on the odometer. 6 cylinder. The car has great patina. 3 speed. Interior is cloth bench and rough condition. Great car to rod or even chop. This is part of the amazing James Graham collection auction on Aug. 9th & 10th in Beardsley, MN." I couldn't determine which model it was from the one photo which would display on my PC (it implies that there are 50, but I could only see the one.) No Model listed, no options (Twin H?), no mileage, is the engine stuck? etc. That said, if it were close, I would have gone in person. I saw several things in @partsdawg's pics that I'd bid on.

15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I didn’t buy anything. No more projects for me.

16. The seller hired the auction company. they work for the seller. If the buyer is charged a buyer fee that creates a dual agency. They cant represent both the buyer and the seller at the same time. A buyers fee is nothing but Greed. Possibly there are shill bidders and those are not real bids? A buyers fee is not honest .

raven likes this.
  17. Did you see what the 32 Cabriolet went for ? Was up around $2000 last I looked.....and on another note - Yevette - does the best she/they can - it's up to the BUYER to know what the hell they are bidding on !

loudbang likes this.
  18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

https://auctionguy.com/oxner-ferguson-estates-auction-s-587080.html
    https://auctionguy.com/july-extravaganza-s-587142.html
    Both these auctions are in Arkansaw and have 10% buyers premiums. Guess they are Greedy down there as well.

loudbang likes this.
  19. 1ton

1ton

Holy cool shit Batman. Wish I was there.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hell, Proxibid is typically 15% here. It's called an "internet fee". The 10-15% is charged by the seller to recoup the fees they pay Proxibid for hosting the auction online.
    15%. Then there's 7.75% CA sales tax stacked on (unless you have a CA resale number). So now we've got 23% added to the hammer price. There's a 3% discount for cash payment. I pay cash, so I just factor in that 20% weight when bidding. If my max is $100 on an item, I stop bidding at $80. I could care less who gets what portion of the $100. All I know is I'm gladly paying $100 in exchange for the item.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Yes I used to attend Tom Blackmons Annual Auctions. Until they started charging a buyers fee. A local Guy Perryman started charging a buyer fee. and he quit getting a crowd and gave that up. Not very long ago. I went to a auction drove over a 100 miles. When I went to get a bidders number there was a sign stating 10% buyers premium. I was mad they had not stated it in their advertizment on Auction Zip. So I just left never even got a number. Guys like me might not buy a lot. However I do bid on quite a few items that I do not buy. My being present does add to the overall tally. Many auctioneers buy my lunch and thank me for attending. Last year I went to a estate auction and this guy had lots of stuff. A building full of machine shop equipt. Trucks , tractors , Two Bulldozers, Backhoe ,old engine's ect. And there wasn't a big crowd. So It went down too a bidding contest between me and the Jew scrap man. All day long I gave everything a starting bid. and the scrap man out bid me. He bought all the machine shop equipt. the tractors , backhoe , and I kept bidding him up. Finally He ran out of money. I ran him up to$3000 on a old allis chalmers dozer with a 6 -71 Detroit. and the next Dozer a D4 cat I bought for $750. He did not even bid on it. And I did buy several loads at a low price. When I paid the widow of the estate & the Auctioneer Thanked me and they stated if you had not been here the scrap man would have got everything for nothing. My point is if you don't have any ready willing and able unsuccessful bidders you don't have near as good a outcome as possible. I once went to a auction. It was court ordered divorce sale. Lots of non op vehicles. and they had to be moved in 7 days. I was the only ready willing and able buyer for the 25 non op cars. I started them out for $100 and bought the entire lot for $100. and one was a 69 chevelle 2 dr htp. missing the front clip. I drove all the way across Arkansas to that Vanderbrink sale. and never bid on anything. didn't even get a buyers no. because of that buyers fee. and I had $10,000 cash on me. I watched until a 56 ford that I once owned sold and then I left.

gggholson likes this.
  24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Amazing all the old cars that are now appearing for sale as the
    generations fade away. Time waits for no one and no vehicle.
    Hope they find a home other than the crusher.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Yes there are great numbers of Baby Boomers retiring every day. and Great numbers taking the dirt nap also. Very few of those born after 1970 want the older stuff. The demand will only decrease as time goes on.

Stogy and F&J like this.
  26. impala4speed

impala4speed

Unfortunately, I believe that most all auctions companies operate this way. I agree, it doesn't seem right but that is the reality of it.

27. Years ago I worked for a guy that made millions just buying & selling. And He told me the money is made in the buying. You buy at your price and your terms. If you cant do that keep your money and walk away. If you have the cash something else will come along. The fact is there are way lot more viable project vehicles than there are Ready,willing & able buyers. So I might be a one man boycott simply pissing in the wind. However If I don't voice my opinion and at the very least get others to thinking that its not OK nothing will ever change. In fact it will steadily get worse. Creating a dual agency by charging the seller a commission and the buyer a premium should be illegal.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Gasser 57, VANDENPLAS and Truck64 like this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"You make your money on the buy."

Now that's a fact.

Gasser 57, VANDENPLAS and Old wolf like this.
  29. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I was at the auction and didn't purchase anything but seen a few other hambers. The 32 Ford Cabriolet sold for $9000.

30. This is incredible and sad all in one go.

Incredible that there is this much good iron in one spot

Sad that most of it possibly won’t sell and get crushed.

As has been stated the boomers are getting old and passing on.
    This stuff gets put for sale by the widow or the family and they just want it gone.

I bought a really nice 62 Pontiac convertible some years ago for peanuts along with a o/t Chrysler and some parts.
    The father passed and the kids where cleaning up the house getting it ready for sale.
    They asked 10 for the Pontiac
    I got both cars and some parts for 6
    When I asked him why he took my first offer I was told

“ at this point dad is dead, we gotta sell the house and everything here is a problem we don’t need and you just got rid of two of them for us”
    He also asked if I wanted anything else if I had room I would of taken the lot of it, but space had always been an issue for me and where I live.

I bought a bodged together mid 50’s ford pick up it was a good cab with doors, new steel box and fibre glass flip front with fibre glass fenders and running boards on a boogered s10 frame for $100 bucks at a farm auction no one else bid.
    I dragged it home, bought an s10 that was lowered with a v8 and 4 speed with a rusty body , dropped the ford stuff on it so it ran , drove and stopped then sold it for really good money considering what it was.

At another farm auction bought 2 50 Cadillac 4 doors for 2 grand and cleaned them up, new batteries and got them to yard drive.
    Brought them into the big city and sold them for a profit.again it was only me and another guy bidding.

Point is this hobby is still hugely popular and lots of people want in, but few have the skills to get a “bucket of bolts” running and road worthy and look at a lot of these cars as money pits.

Get them cleaned up and running and the profits are 10 fold

But a hoard like this is just to much for 99% of us to comprehend the logistics of just moving and storing all this stuff for future sale
    That most will see the crusher and get turned into Honda’s and Toyota’s

Old wolf likes this.