Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rumble to trunk conversion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by koolbeans, Jul 18, 2019.

1. koolbeans

koolbeans

Still mired in the quicksand over the assembly of the rear metal for rumble to trunk conversion. Any photos would be helpful. Thanks

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. What make/what year vehicle?

Charlie Stephens

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Fogger

Fogger

If your car is a '32 5W or Roadster, which use the same lid, or a 3W Brookville has all the hinges and latch assemblies. But like Charlie asked, what year and body?

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. koolbeans

koolbeans

32 Ford five window...oooops...end of day brain disingagement...

5. Are you talking about the panel above the tail pan that is inside the trunk that accepts the latch? The white one in the photo?

(57)new trunk panel.JPG (58)new trunk panel 2.JPG

6. koolbeans

koolbeans

7. koolbeans

koolbeans

The other befuddlement is the hinge install. Haven't seen good photos of them. I have the pieces but unsure how the bolt up.
    I'ma about ready to make my own hinges so that I'll have adjustment to square the lid.
    Any suggestions???

8. The stock hinges allow some adjustment. They are reproduced.

9. partssaloon

partssaloon

Yes, back in the day the trunks weren't finished off like we like to do them these days. That's why most of the floor boards were rusted out. You have to build your own drain set-up if you want to try and keep it dry.

10. If you buy repro hinges, there are two kinds....the cheap and the good kind. The cheap ones do not allow you to adjust them for height. The good ones are made like the originals and you can adjust them.

koolbeans likes this.
  11. koolbeans

koolbeans

Yep. Have just found this out. Of all the asking on HAMB, this has been a really mysterious subject.
    So, tomorrow early AM, before sunrise, I'ma goin to fab up a couple of deep throat hinges and move on.
    And, if they work, I'll share. And if they don't work I'll still share.

clem likes this.
  12. chiro

chiro

I fabbed up 6 sets of the receiver side of the hinges on my A coupe before I got the trunk lid to fit square. The final fab set I had to make just 1/32" different than the previous set. If you look on Bratton's site for the trunk hinge part, they have a detailed drawing of the total hinge setup with measurements. It will allow you to fab what you need. I purchased the cheap "body side only" set and fabbed my own trunk lid side receivers.
    Andy

13. koolbeans

koolbeans

Actually bit the bullet, fitted lid. Used a reisis monkey to mark holes. Closed eyes, drilled, bolted and as crude as the kit is, wha-la, it worked perfectly.
    Red tassel is for temporary opening. IMG_20200702_092321749.jpeg

Vic Walter likes this.