Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steel Wheel Repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotgas, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Are there any options for repairing egg'd lug holes in old OEM steel wheels? Yes :rolleyes: the car was driven a half-mile with loose lug nuts due to the spider cap ring distorting. I can still seat the lug nuts to the wheels but IMO they are marginal. I have since drilled and tapped holes in the wheels to hold the caps on.

I really like my wheels and would prefer to repair them, but will replace if there is no alternative. Thanks!

2. squirrel

squirrel

are they Mopar wheels with 1/2" threads and 3/4 hex? If so, maybe use Ford lug nuts, which have a 13/16"hex

Or replace the wheel and don't worry about it.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

They are indeed 1/2-20 studs, but I already have 13/16" lug nuts. Still hoping to find a way to repair the wheels themselves but have started wheel shopping. :(

4. squirrel

squirrel

post pictures of the damage if you want some helpful answers.

clem likes this.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There were conical washers made to correct this . I may still have some from my mechanic days . How many are you in need of ?

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I took some measurements. Stock holes are .625" diameter, and mine are .875" now on one of the two wheels. The other wheel is at .700" and I can live with that. Here's a photo of the bad one with an old wheel spacer to give an idea what it looks like with my axles through it.

20190718_200653.jpg

If you can find five, I would definitely give them a shot! Thank you so much for the offer.

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

PM me with mailing info . I think these washers will fix you up fat .

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. oldolds

oldolds

Look at some late model lug nuts. They have a larger seating surface. It is bigger than the hex.

9. Those look pretty bad....

Back in the '60s when NASCAR stock cars still bore some mechanical resemblance to their showroom brethren, they used OEM-style wheels but added a second center over the original one to strengthen the wheel. I wonder if you couldn't do something like that to repair these.

10. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

The type of lugnuts you are referring to are called “bulge nuts” no joke..

11. squirrel

squirrel

oldolds likes this.
  12. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

13. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

To be honest that wheel looks like the it’s done to me. The holes are huge and the chamfer looks to be turned out too far.. I wouldn’t think there is much reason to band aide it with big nuts that may not really be able to take/hold the torque to lock the wheel down.. If it was a limp back home with no other options situation ok.. I don’t read this as that type of scenario.. Replace the wheel..

I lost a wheel one time.. Fortunately no one else was involved and no one hurt.. Only my car was damaged nothing special no big loss..

14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Unsafe at any speed.........

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Old wolf, Hnstray and clem like this.
  15. Old wolf, Hnstray and clem like this.
  16. clem

clem

Read the last 3 posts.
    ....... or get it repaired by a professional, ( I doubt that this is feasible), although for the safety of others, I would go with any one of the previous 3 posts.

17. chargin03

chargin03

Speedway motors sells large nuts for oval track cars but I would replace the wheels.

Old wolf likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I also think the wheel is history...and having you post the picture worked, several others spoke up about it.

Old wolf likes this.
  19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That's about what I figured, thanks everyone.

Old wolf likes this.
  20. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

If the wheel you have is a hard to find Mopar wheel or something like that. Look for a wheel maker in your area and see if they can replace the center section of the wheel.. This would mean that the outer hoop
    can be saved but the hole center section gets replaced.. I too have a couple of Mopars and can appreciate how difficult it can be to find some oddball one or two year production stuff..

21. I hate to beat a dead horse, but your lug studs are trashed as well. I also think that wheel was driven farther than 1/2 mile.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  22. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yeah the studs were trashed. I already replaced all of them - and the lug nuts - and it has a brand new set of wheels on it now, too. As I said in the first post, I'm just trying to find out if there is a good option for repairing the damage to this wheel. I just google map'd the route and it was 2500 feet or so. Like you, I also thought it was pretty chewed up for such a short drive. Appreciate the concern.