Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christian Price, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Christian Price

Christian Price

So I’m thinking about doing an engine swap in the 51 shoe box putting in a Ford 302 but I’m not to sure about it any input? Just want to know what you guys think even though everyone does it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Why isn't you sure? Its a Ford in a Ford !

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

look at sites for universal motor mounts, etc like speedwaymotors.com - search here for build threads that will give you info on how to do it - look at '67 Mustang V8 radiator as a possibility to use

Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bigger!

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

What are you not sure about? What are your concerns? Gene

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I guess I'm not sure what your looking for but a stock 302 isn't going to be a rocket but it would be a dependable driver. And at a later date you could build for some serious power. Look for a 5.0 from a mustang.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  7. Christian Price

Christian Price

That’s what I’m looking for something reliable that I can upgrade later down the road

8. Christian Price

Christian Price

I’m just kinda hesitant to take the flathead out because it’s what came in it and I just don’t want to say ruin the car in the way but I feel like I might be overthinking it all

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Is it a running and driving car?
    If it runs well I would leave it.

I had a 50 Coupe and it was a fun car to drive. It was peppy and it was all stock except for headers and duals.

Tuned well with everything working correctly, a 8BA pushes a shoebox around fine.

Having owned one with flathead power, I feel you'll loose a lot by not having a flathead. There is a certain charm there and it can keep up with traffic fine.

On the other hand a OHV offers some gains.

It's up to you.

Persoally although the SBF is one of my favorites....
    I just do not feel them in Early V8 cars.

10. It’s up to you.

Does the flatty run?

I just bought a 63 merc convetable that someone yanked the 390 and put a 302 in.
    While not stock, it drives great, parts are readily available and cheap and it doesn’t bother me. What I paid for the cat and what it’s worth. To Meir haven’t affected the value in a negative way.

I had a 55 Buick and looked into rebuilding the engine and availability of speed parts and the costs involved where scary.

My 50 Chevy I built a really nice 261 with 3 carb offey manifold split exhaust
    Mallory distributor etc etc basically all the speed and shiny parts.
    Just what I had into the rebuild I could of bought a nice sbc and been done for probably less then 1/2 what I had in that in-line 6.
    But I did love cruising around with that 6. If I had to do it again I probably would have gone with a sbc just out of cost and getting the project moving along quicker.
    A nice flat head v8 is fun.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

For a young man of 14 yrs you have a whole lifetime of decisions to make. Since you won’t be driving it for a few years and have quite a learning curve mechanically, I’d advise if the engine is turning over that you keep it and get the baby running. It will be a good way to start learning about these old cars and their mechanical and electrical dynamic.
    We all here will love to help you along the way so please keep us in the loop and post any and all questions here. There are no dumb questions.
    Only dumb people who fail to ask them. Good luck.

12. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Keep the flathead if is running good

Christian Price and Tri-power37 like this.
  13. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you are just running around town keep the flatty if you are going to use it as a daily driver and depend on it i would go 302. Way easier to get parts for the newer motor.

14. If the cars is running and driving the last thing I would do is pull the flathead and shove in a 302 but if the engine is shot or needs rebuilding the 302 is a smart way to get back on the road quicker and much cheaper.

I have a 351 Cleveland in my '50 coupe. HRP

Boneyard51, leadsled, waxhead and 4 others like this.
  15. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I like that its not a SBC (not knocking SBC's , that's what I'm running), but I'd probably keep the flathead in it. It's a weird thing, 302 would (more than likely) be better for a number of reasons and doesn't affect the value either way (in my opinion) but there's just something about having the original or similar motor it came with, especially in the "traditional" sense.

Boneyard51 and Christian Price like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome, Christian!
    Listen to PeteJoe and the others who are saying to give the old Flathead engine a chance. Just don't throw a lot of money at it. But if you can get it up and running, you'll enjoy it and you can always do something else later if you want to or need to.

The trap that's easy to fall into is having wonderful ideas for a car, disassembling the whole thing, and then finding that we bit off more than we can chew as far as work involved or cost or time. And even though this engine swap wouldn't be too daunting, I would still consider seeing what you can do with what you have there.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and Petejoe like this.
  17. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think a running flathead compared to one that needs to be rebuilt provide very different answers.
    If the flathead doesn't run, I would want to see what might be involved with getting it running before I could make a decision on the question your asking.
    For me, it would be pretty easy to pull the flathead that needed to be rebuilt and swap in the 302, but it would be much more difficult to pull a good running flathead.

The deal is, I, and we, are not you, and you are not me, or us, its your car, you get to make the decision that is right for you. Do not let other people convince you to do (or not do) something you think is right for you. Gene

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

My dad has always wanted to put a 302 in his 51 Vicky. But the flathead runs to good. 35 years and counting. He rebuilt it about 20 years ago. It has an overdrive in it and runs all day long at 65.

Boneyard51 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

A flattie in a '51 shoebox.....can it get any more traditional???

Boneyard51 likes this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

By the way....
    That's a 1951 Ford Tudor Sedan. It's a very very nice one especially for the rust belt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It would be foolish to put a 302 in this great car. That's what a Kid would do.:rolleyes:

I lost my grandfather when I was 4 in 1976. I wish I had any car he owned like the 51 BelAir Hard top he built while he was in mechanic school.....I would give just about anything to have one of his cars now.

You have something, very very special.

It's up to you to take of it.

In this case.....

You are nuts if you pull that engine!
    It's a treasure.....more than you know.....keep it as such!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    PoTaToTrUcK and Boneyard51 like this.
  21. Look at a 351W then. Fits nearly the same as a 302 (and in terms of swap parts, it is the same) and has enough power that you may or may not want to upgrade it later, but if you do it's just as easy as a 302. Available in trucks through '96, they're not hard to find. If you want some serious power, it's the smallest/cheapest Ford V8 motor to work with...

Boneyard51 likes this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You need a Beater of some type!

That's a special car.
    You need a beater to....

Drive to school, that Ford will be a target in the HS parking lot.
    Drive to work......
    Drive on the salt...
    To learn to drive.....My father says this.....
    That's a very special car that needs to be treasured as such. Drive it enjoy it.
    Get a beater for transportation.

Boneyard51 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Christian Price

Christian Price

The engine runs pretty well and I took it apart and replaced broke valves in the winter but I do drive it around town sometimes thank you

Boneyard51 and Petejoe like this.
  24. Christian Price

Christian Price

Thank you for this I thinks that’s what I’ll do keep the flatty in it but find some headers and maybe a dual carb setup I really appreciate the response

25. Christian Price

Christian Price

Yup it’s running that’s the hesitation but I’m gonna keep it in there and find headers for duals and maybe dual carbs

Boneyard51 likes this.
  26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you swap it out (when you swap it out :cool:) sell the flatty while it is running so the buyer can hear it (better dollars, less hassles), then pull it out (hell, make them help). A running flathead will put some serious change in your pocket (for a nice Paxton supercharger to wake up one of those little OHV's you want). We are hot rodders, it is what we do. We will keep it a secret between the two of us, the others don't need to know. ;)

Christian Price likes this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Headers are easy!
    Dual carbs, not so much on a 8BA.
    Ford came out with the Loadomatic distributors for the 1949-53 8BA...1948-53 8RT (Rogue Plant Truck engines...basically the same as the 8BA )

The carburetor and distributors were matched pairs. If you go to duals, you'll also have to change the distributor to a vacuum mechanical or mechanical advance. The original factory distributor will not advance properly on duals.

lothiandon1940, Petejoe and alanp561 like this.
  28. Christian Price

Christian Price

Okay thank you looks like I’m just gonna do duals for now I just have to find headers that don’t interfere with the steering but I think MAC auto has some

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Christian,
    This one was mine.
    Not a day goes by that I do not miss it. It was flat head power.
    [​IMG]DSCN0237 by Travis Brown, on Flickr

30. Christian Price

Christian Price

I’ll keep that in mind for sure but for now I’m gonna stick with the flatty