Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bent a valve in my flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Last night I was finishing up a valve job on my 59A, thinking I had found and fixed the culprit of my vacuum leak - an intake valve poorly sealing and no intake guide seals. Guess I was wrong!

Second to last valve, chucked it up in my sweet Craigslist-scored valve grinder, and she didn't spin true! Got to looking, and sure enough, something must have gotten between the valve and the head, and therein lies my problem.

Anyone else have a valve bending story on a flathead? How'd it happen?

Mike

IMG_20190717_074459.jpeg IMG_20190717_074444.jpeg IMG_20190717_074405.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Oh! While I'm thinking about it - Mac's lists an "intake or exhaust" valve on their site, and I'm curious if anyone has details on the original valves. Were they designed for use in either spot, or were they specific intake and specific exhaust?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does look like some foreign object damage. Matching mark on the head?? The other thing is that if it always ran a bit rough since you have had it and you didn't build it someone may have got a bit rough with it or even dropped the valve when they were working on the engine.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

I can't speak for Mac's, but when vendors sell valves for flatheads nowadays listed for both intake and exhaust, they are probably made of the steel needed to withstand the exhaust temps. Will still work fine for the intake's lower temps.

ClayMart and alanp561 like this.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On an 8BA, the intakes valves have "Ford" in script on the head; exhausts are plain.

Truck64 likes this.
  6. Fordors

Fordors

BITD a quick test to sort mixed up flathead valves was to use a magnet. The magnet would only attract the intakes; were the factory exhausts Inconel?

deucemac likes this.
  7. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

There's nothing on the head that I can see, though I haven't gotten in there and really cleaned, so the rich-mix soot could be hiding something...

This was my first thought.

Interesting that you mention it. I have an 8BA sitting in the garage and was hopeful that I could steal a valve, but when I got it apart noticed that the exhaust valves have a much different keeper design, with a taper on the stem to the keeper land. The intakes were straight/normal. I did see "ford" on the valves, but wasn't paying enough attention to which ones.

8. alchemy

alchemy

All the original Ford valves pre-48 were mushroom stemmed. After 49 they were straight. It's odd that your 8BA has some mushroom stems in it.

9. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

No, they're not mushroom stemmed, they have an undercut in the otherwise straight stem, leading to where the keeper would lock in on a flat. I'll have to pull one out and get a good picture, I've never seen anything like it.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ford manufactured the flatheads with the different intake and exhaust valves but sold only exhausts as replacement parts. I assume this was to stop mechanics from putting intakes in bad neighborhoods.

11. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Very interesting. Thanks, Bruce!

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On the bent valve...if bent in use you should have matching damage in chamber roof and futher damage all over piston, etc., if the cause was moving around. Maybe you just got a valve that was run over by the forklift back at the factory

Moriarity likes this.
  13. leon bee

leon bee

I bent one on a rebuild, an intake valve. Bent it trying to push that damn guide seal down in there. Discovered it after engine was entirely assembled, low compression in that cylinder.

alanp561 likes this.
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Hmmm...didn't think about the social dynamics of flathead valve systems! Disassembly and assembly both often call for and even incite both brute force and actual screaming violence! Plenty of opportunity to ruin a part and not notice it.

Moriarity likes this.
  15. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Brute force for sure! Even with that 3-ft bar it takes some muscle on some of them!

This one definitely hit something in the chamber, likely in use, as I don't see any other way it would have gotten nicked the way it did... That's some real careless assembly if it was installed like that. Of course, I didn't notice it either until I had it out, so benefit of the doubt to the guy who put it together. Interestingly, there's no damage to the rest of the engine. Nada. No nick on the head, no marks on the piston, no cylinder scuffs, nothing. So I suppose it's possible that it's a case of "dropped the valve, decided to run with it anyway."

Also of note on this engine: all 8 cylinders have sleeves, so someone put some $$ and effort into it when it was rebuilt, whenever that was.

16. leon bee

leon bee

You get good with that bar, though. I spent $100 for a genuine Wilson bar at a flea market, couldn't believe I was paying that much. Used it probably ten times now.

17. leon bee

leon bee

I've actually only built two of these engines that are running, but I've torn down several more. I bought an even longer bar off ebay, a New Britain I think......use it for DIS-assembly.

18. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I think I got mine from Mac's or some such for a fair price, but I really would like to get an old one for comparison. I've also got a spring compressor (pinch style) that's perfect for flatheads, but can't find where I put it!

19. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Is it possible that at some time a too-long spark plug contacted the valve?

Terry

Hnstray likes this.
  20. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Definitely possible, and that's kinda what it looks like. Could explain why it's never ran quite right while I've had it. Hell, that could be why the project was abandoned and put away/sold in the first place.

21. alchemy

alchemy

When I first had my flathead put together I had too long spark plugs. It smashed the tips flat on about half of them. Didn’t hurt the valves though.

22. Mart

Mart

I had to re-read the first post to check, but you state it was an intake valve. You could only ever bend an exhaust valve with a too long spark plug, as the plug is over the exhaust valve. The plug would not foul an intake.

To be honest it's hard to imagine a scenario where an intake valve could get bent.

Mart.

23. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Mart - it was/is an exhaust valve. I had to re-read that first post too, and I can see how it's confusing! Definitely an exhaust valve that's bent. Before I found that though, I had noticed an intake valve on a different cylinder that looked like it was getting some blow-by/wasn't sealing well and assumed that was my biggest problem, then I found the bent exhaust. I've got a new one in now though, just have to set the valve lash and I should be good to go! I'll have to make a tool to adjust the lifters first though... If anyone has pics of that tool, I'd be interested to see.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I wasn’t happy with this type but didn’t have a choice.

[​IMG]

25. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

That's what I've been seeing. Why didn't you like them?

Petejoe likes this.
  26. Andy

Andy

This works great
    fullsizeoutput_18b.jpeg

Petejoe and alchemy like this.
  27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not a good fit, hard to reach, metal material too flimsy.
    It worked at the time but remember thinking it would be nice having something more stout.

28. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Thanks Andy, that's what I was thinking I'd be making.
    Hmm, interesting, thanks. I've been wondering how those get used in practice, they don't look very user-friendly.

29. Andy

Andy

I made it from 1/8" music wire from a hobby shop. Strong as hell.

30. leon bee

leon bee

Is that what you look for, just "music wire"?