Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help identifying this old car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joel, Jul 14, 2019.

1. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was my great, great grandfathers car and my cousins thought I might be able to tell it's year and make. The car was destroyed in an accident in 1947. I guessed 38/39 Plymouth. Thanks for any info anyone has. IMG_1270.JPG

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Oldioron like this.
  2. dartracer

dartracer

38 Plymouth 4 door sedan

loudbang likes this.
  3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

yep.
    [​IMG]

4. GREAT example between the two cars of how the headlamps were moved back from the original design. Second photo shows how close they started out. The first photo shows them farther apart. Little know fact.

low budget, loudbang and Oldioron like this.

5. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. That hood emblem represents the Mayflower with sails up and sailing along. With slight changes they used it into the early 50's. My 50 Deluxe has that with very slight modification. Not certain if it was original this way but this emblem on my 50 appears to be nickel plated instead of chrome. the grille emblem is black & silver and shows up on both ebay and etsy fairly regular. Jimmie

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Your ornament should be chrome plated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I had a 1935 Plymouth that I bought from the original owner, the ship was missing. Good friend told me it was common to cut them off and file things smooth, this happened right after the first broken or badly cut little finger caught it while towing off the freshly washed car.

Bob

chryslerfan55 and joel like this.
  8. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dartracer, speedgems, 31Dodger and ol-nobull for your help. The owner was my mothers great- grandfather and he died in the accident in 1947; My mother didn't even know much about him. I just learned he had a championship team of pulling horses that garnered many trophies and some money.

9. I learned to drive in a 36 Plymouth that was immaculate. My Dad’s