Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical reversed a couple wheels yesterday..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Jul 12, 2019.

1. I fix all our own tires. I have a tire hammer and spoons and the proper tire tools. We also have five tire machines. I use a 1940,s Coates iron tireman with a phnumatic bead breaker and a Bishman the most. I have a manual coates . and a coates 20 -10 and a jim beam rim clamp haven't used use them in years. there are a lot of tires you would never get them to break down by driving on them. Old radials on safety bead rims are a example. as tires age the bead shrinks and gets tighter. and the sidewall on radials is not stiff enuf . Sometimes a radial even on my iron tireman will not break down. That's when I use a tire spoon and a 8 pound hammer. a tire really stuck you can set it out in the sun and squirt diesel on the bead. after a few hours the rubber will start to soften making it easier to break down..

Paul and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I rarely had to use a tire hammer to break the bead, a well placed stomp or two did the trick unless the bead area of the wheel was badly corroded. We used a product called Myers lube for mounting, when dismounting the tires 200-300K later traces of it was still there. The duckbill on the hammer was more often used to hold the bead away from the wheel to facilitate valve stem replacement without dismounting the tire.

Paul and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Great Tech
    Even better write up

To everyone who has posted everything thing from duck bill hammers and spoons to tire machines and everything in between.

I can attest mounting and dismounting tires is a pain.... a royal pain right inside my asshole! I hate ! Hate ! Hate doing tires !!!

I’ve used everything from duck bill hammers, spoons and wedges
    To the most high tech European tire mounting/ dismounting machines with arms and lasers and levers etc.
    All a pain ...... again right on the inside of my asshole.

I will gladly pay the 10 bucks per tire to get that done for me.

The rest of this tech article is great! Amazing and I will definitely have to try it.

Once the tires are dismounted that is:D

4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just be careful not to get that steel rim edge too close to your aluminum wheels on your daily driver. I hate to say I know what happens then...

Paul likes this.
  5. I use lots of split rims. I even have a set of 16 inch 6 lug split rims on the rear of my 66 GMC 1/2 ton. I don't use a cage. I wrap log chains around the rim. attach a screw on air chuck and inflate them using a 50 ft hose. ive been breaking down and fixing bob truck 20 inch split rims for over 50 years, and so far never had one come apart when inflating it. However if the rim is rusty bent or compromised in any way I will not use it. The Two piece wheels that don't have a split rim and use a oval ring are the ones that are most dangerious,. I don't like them and will not use them.

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

This thread sure went sideways, reminds me why I don't post much anymore..

7. No- Keep posting informative tech please........ Hacks will always chime in and bash.

Paul likes this.
  8. Nice job! :cool:

Paul likes this.
  9. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Cool, always wanted to know how this was done.

Any day I learn something is a great day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie47 and Paul like this.
  10. brad2v

brad2v

Thank you! for posting this. A great bit of DO try this at home tech. Did you just true the rim on the center using the tape and and a fixed point on the car?

11. I always mounted the bare rim on the front hub. set a beer bottle next to it. and spun the rim. if the distance varied the rim was not properly centered..

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

some people must not realize this is a site dedicated to traditional hot rods and customs,
    I am sure there are other sites where their subject matter would be welcome

yes, rotate slowly and watch the bead surface

yes, me too but,
    in this case the rear is a '57 Pontiac with 5 on 5" pattern and the fronts are 5 on 5-1/2" early Ford

enloe and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  13. Food for thought- When some ass hat looks up "how to......" it's gonna come here! But- that's if they're smart enough! ;)

brad2v, 427 sleeper and Paul like this.
  14. Wish I'd seen this 50 years ago. I used to knock the rivet heads off with a big hammer and a cold chisel. Talk about some smashed fingers....:eek:

Old wolf and Paul like this.
  15. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Reminds me of an ad from one of the late '50s little magazines (Rod & Custom IIRC): chrome reverse wheels, $13.95 riveted and $15.95 welded.

enloe and Old wolf like this.
  16. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

very cool write up. Old school for sure!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The main problem today is that the wheels are welded together for the most part. Like many of you, I used to do this "back in the day" and even made a few bucks doing it for others. After several years, guys started bringing in welded wheels to be reversed, and I could never figure out how to get them apart efficiently. That was the end of a flourishing business career.

18. I was smart enuf to clamp my cold chisel in a pair of vice grips. I have a chunk of steel embedded in my right forearm. Came off the top of a chisel. Been there over 50 years. I can still to this very moment press down and feel it. Now I heat the blunt end of my chisels up red hot and put brass on them.

19. No problem start it up and slip it in gear and let it idle.

Paul likes this.
  20. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

A little side note from an old guy. The Olds spinner caps that were always called Fiestas were the 53-55 caps with the white rings, the 56 spinner were called Starfires. It probably varied in different parts of the country but that was what they were called in this part of Ohio. My 2 cents, now on with the more important stuff:)

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am going to piece together some reversed wheels this summer, with a little wider hoops. It will be nice to be able to optimize the backspace, as there is not much room in my rear wheelwells. Some may not like this, but I am going to leave my valve stems on the backside, like the old set of chrome ones I had way back. If funds permit, I may get them chromed also.

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

My parts catalog calls them "deluxe disc" or "deluxe spinner type" no mention of body style or trim package for the '56 model year.
    IMG_20190713_212407.jpg IMG_20190713_212250.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The valve stems wouldn't clear the drums on this combo, they had to move, and the angle of the slope wouldn't allow easy or clean alignment with the hole in the cap, I used short stems that are totally under and clear of the cap.

brEad and s55mercury66 like this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I started doing the reversed wheels when I was 15. We used Ford or Chevy centers with Buick outers.
    Not only reversed ,but wider also. Used to press them out after drilling the rims. Then true them on my dad's lathe to get the runout straight. Mounted a block and turned the lathe by hand and tapped them back and forth until all the wobble was gone and then fired up my dad's old Lincoln buzz box and arc welded them back together.
    That was about 1963 and we used tubes in the tires so we had to weld the rivet holes and then put a rubber ring to keep from cutting the tube.
    Did it for me and all my friends cars.

Paul likes this.
  25. Had to smile when I saw the first photo, the truck used to break the bead. I did the same thing years ago before I made a bead breaker, never thought anyone else would do it that way!! Good job and thanks for posting.
    By the way, I just used my new Harbor freight tire changer for the first time yesterday, It worked fine far easier than screwdrivers on the floor. For less than $40 it is well worth it. And you don't have to bolt it to the floor and take up floor space, I added a 2X2 box tube to the base of it and slid it into the hitch of the truck.

Paul and Sporty45 like this.
  26. Air carbon arc gouging to remove the weld

alanp561 and Paul like this.
  27. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like more equipment I don't have (especially back then!).:rolleyes:

Paul and 46international like this.
  28. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Nice write up, I did some years back with Buick hoops and early Ford centers.

396985_2593915083699_1557457015_n.jpg

396202_2593934644188_844485052_n.jpg

405646_2593935164201_736744648_n.jpg

I remember seeing pics of your reversed '49-'51 Lincoln wheels which are the ultimate. I finally collected a full set and need to reverse a pair too.

29. touring20

touring20

Good advice Paul ! Oh and thanks for the 32 front axle !

30. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have used my drive on car lift. Lower the lift with a car on it and break the beads.