Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Installing sheet insulation before Upholstery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jul 12, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Before having my 40 Ford upholstered I insulated the car with aircraft insulation myself.This was years ago. I don't think this is available anymore.It came in 4' X 8 ft panels. It was 3/8 thick ,foil on one side and adhesive on the other. It was really quiet, made a big difference, and was really satisfied. I see Summit and others have similar sheets now but a lot thinner. I just purchase some and will install it on my most recent old car I'm surprised everyone doesn't use it?
    My question ,for those of you that have used it what areas did you cover inside your car; Inside firewall for sure ?
    Gene

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Every square inch of my 32 sedan,

3. blazedogs

blazedogs

Now I'm really worried after reading another post by several of you about some insulation oozing getting on the new interior or finish.I,m really questioning doing inside of the roof now.. Yup in hot climates with all the windows rolled up it,s a given ; could be a issue.. I,m always learning with this websight and from you members .....
    Gene

4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Behind the seat in my COE, I used this sticky back insulation from Drake, and covered it with ABS plastic. IMG_7299.JPG IMG_7523.JPG

bymanr and Blues4U like this.
  5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not insulation. The oozing stuff is cheap sound dampener.

For that, I use Fatmat XXX on everything. My Falcon still does not have a headliner in it, and it has not fallen down, or oozed, in 4-years. This includes numerous 100º days, windows up.

As with any dampener (or other glued on product), you absolutely must clean the surface first.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/thermoguard.php
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/coolit.php?recfer=13309

7. boring-hop-yard

boring-hop-yard