Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quickchange

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Jul 11, 2019.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I have a full floating frankland QC to go in my streetrod .What are you guys running for diff oil and axle oil.Gl 4. It has been is storage and never had any oil in it

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

80-90 some use 140. I't's going to leak and whine. Good luck

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Valvoline 80/90 Durablend.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Aren't "diff." (differential ?) oil and "axle oil" pretty much the same thing..? They go into the same place, lube the same parts.

I run Valvoline 80-90, full synthetic in my Winters Quick Change.

Mike

5. Have always run 90wt gear oil. And they don't all leak. My Speedway Champ is fully O ringed, and does not leak a drop. And if you run helical gears, 90% of the whine is gone.

6. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Look into Redline or Royal Purple. We ran those or Valvoline full synthetic in all our QC rears when racing and they run noticeably cooler than mineral oils and feel much slicker when you pull gears to change them.
    SPark

stillrunners likes this.
  7. sdluck

sdluck

Have you ever run the lightweight gears,I assume you are referring to QC gears>

8. I guess I'm in the dark ages. Never heard of "lightweight" gears for a quick change. Helical gears are gears with teeth angle cut. Helical gears have more drag so straight cut gears are run in racing applications. The only time I hear any whine from the QC in on deceleration. I get a little whine in the 25-35 mph range. If I switch positions, top to bottom, bottom to top, the whine is heard in the same speed range, but on acceleration.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/PEM-...6465069&utm_content=All Products (Jun26_2019)

There are your lightweight gears. Turned material from the center of the large gear and drilled holes. Most manufacturers make a similar gear set.
    SPark

10. sdluck

sdluck

Did you run rtv or sealer on the bells or just orings?

11. sdluck

sdluck

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lightweight Q.C. gears. 'O' rings for Champ housings. New stuff, (recent, at least...Last innovation I heard about were the helical gears...)
    The Halibrands are smiling down.

13. alchemy

alchemy

With the hulking weight of a Champ size rearend, I think drilling some holes in the change gears to save a tenth pound sounds ridiculous. Especially for use on the street.

HemiDeuce and Dean Lowe like this.
  14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's more than one 'Speedway'.

There's Speedway Engineering (manufacturer of their own QC rear), and Speedway (that everyone knows and some are wary of). There may be other Speedways!

Speedway Eng don't appear to list 'lightweight' gears.

Chris

15. That is what all the short track Q.C.s do. The new rage is 8" ring and pinon 10 spline (Champ) Quick Changes.
    Anything to lighten rotating mass. The wheel bearings run in oil not grease to lessen resistance.
    It is crazy!

My father always said when building a chassis. "It is easier to save ounces then pounds."

Save ten tenths you save a pound. Save a 1,000 tenths you save 100 pounds.