Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Beware: Eastwood sound deadener

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Never2old, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I installed Eastwood sound deadener in my '63 Bel Air a couple of months ago and I am waiting my turn at the upholstery shop.
    Low and behold much to my surprise I now have a huge mess on my hands (see pic).
    This won't be fun at all.

IMG_1045.JPG

els likes this.
  2. woah!!! is it melting from the heat? I just put a bunch of kill mat in in my 39 and was thinking this stuff would be a mess to get up if needed.

els likes this.
  3. jman340

jman340

I saw a tip on removing sound deadener that might help you get it off. Put some dry ice on and use a scraper to chip it off once it gets hard.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what does Eastwood say about this problem?

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Is it China built products like everything else they sell?

6. pumpman

pumpman

OH Man, what a mess! Feel bad for you that you have to deal with that. I would be having a heart felt conversation with Eastwood.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what a mess. think how many people have put that in and put the carpet in right after. they have no idea.

I like Lizard skin. I used only the heat one, not the noise one. sprays on and dries hard. no melting.

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

WOW! I hope you let Eastwood know about this and told them to give you a refund. Of course they'll refuse to refund you but we can make their life miserable with you tube.

I wonder how many others have used this product had this problem.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    indyjps, els and bobss396 like this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I also ordered kill mat but haven't installed it yet. I hope it doesn't do the same thing.

els likes this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

Don't buy Anything from Eastwood

bobss396, mgtstumpy, Paul and 5 others like this.
  11. NAWW !!!!!!!

Its not the Eastwood product.

Cant you see its leaking from the tape

Oldmics - what a yummie mess.

nochop likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kilmat rates pretty good with this audio dude. Both for heat and sound. Some interesting info here on several insulation materials https://soundproofliving.com/automotive-sound-deadening-materials/
    I'm thinking that the issue with the Eastwood stuff is that it has asphalt in it. As in tar like the tar that melts on West Texas roads in the summer.

Hombre and els like this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One question, after reading the reviews of the X-mat that Eastwood sells now and not seeing X-mat anywhere on the material in post 1 is that perhaps an old and discontinued product that contained asphalt?
    The stuff with the Eastwood name in the catalog has a big X-MAT marked all over it. https://www.eastwood.com/xmat-sound-deadening-18x32-ines-34-8-sq-ft.html

els likes this.
  14. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Well if there is a bright spot to your trouble it's that you caught it now. Can you imagine what that goo would do to your new interior. I would send Eastwood your pictures and threaten them with a lawsuit.

els likes this.
  15. I also put Kill-mat in my coupe recently. My garage has gotten pretty hot and I have had it out in the sun all day a few times and (fingers crossed) no problems yet. I am getting ready to have a head liner put in, wondering now if I should wait and see...
    Chappy

els likes this.
  16. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Good thing for this.....
    100guarantee_200x200.jpg
    Wonder if they really mean it?

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have had B-Quiet ( similar product) in my 40 coupe for several years in Oklahoma heat and no melting has occurred. In the top and everywhere else. I will admit that this problem crossed my mind at the time so I let it set outside in 100 degrees several times prior to upholstery just to be sure no melting occurred. Hate that you have had to experience the melting, what a mess.

els likes this.
  18. Rckt98

Rckt98

Wow, I am glad I saw this thread. I wasn't sure which product to use in my coupe but am definitely leaning towards Dynamat Xtreme. Anyone had issues with this product ( other than the price)?

phantompjcoupe and els like this.
  19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've had Peel & Seal from Lowes in the A pickup for a number of years, no runs, no drips, no errors.

rbrewer, vtx1800, Ralphies54 and 22 others like this.
  20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Man I feel sorry for you...but I've never tried Eastwood's stuff. I used "Cool it/Thermo Tech in three of my cars in the past three years...drag racers use it to kill the heat in their cars and if it's good enuff for them, it's good enuff for me. Annnn-nnnnd to be certain heat and sound are killed, I use Lizardskin UNDER it (on the bottom of the car and in the interior)...works well for me. You can get Thermo-tech at Summit and some speed shops...

R-
    IMG_6429.JPG
    Spraying Lizard skin...

IMG_6463.JPG Cool it over the top of the Lizardskin...

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I did a Model A truck a few (4) years ago, pro built truck. They used the Eastwood product. It ran out of the truck and dripped onto the running board. It also ran out where the rear window would go before it was installed. I do believe Eastwood did compensate the shop but don`t know by how much. I warned a fellow hamber about this in a private message as I saw he was also using this product in a build thread.

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Wish I had seen this a couple weeks ago. I just finished using Eastwood Xmat throughout my Model A pickup. And that was a PITA. Holy shit! I’m waiting my turn for upholstery also. Has anyone had the same dripping mess with Xmat?

Xmat is supposed to be butyl rubber. Whatever that is. It’s been at least 100 degrees in my garage lately, but the truck has not been in the sun. I think I’m going to roll it out in the sun, watch it close, see what happens.

Walt
    Outsiders CC[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    mgtstumpy, els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The Eastwood Xmat has some good reviews and nothing mentioned about it turning to goo. The older Eastwood stuff is the one to watch out for. It only has the word Eastwood printed on it.

els likes this.
  24. Clobber them on FB too. I'm sure they're on there, I'm not.

els and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  25. I'm using Fat Mat Rattle Trap and so far so good, no ooze in 3 years. AND I have it on the inside of the roof.. no headliner.
    521-003.JPG 521-005.JPG

26. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used Dynamat Extreme and before I realised it needed the joins taping there was some seepage in SoCal temps, but nothing quite like that experienced by the OP. Mine was in a yet to be upholstered trunk area (so cooler than firewall / front floor) and it did make a mess of luggage etc, but the shiny aluminium sticky tape (Ace hardware, not proper Dynamat tape, which I think is nigh on the same stuff) soon fixed that. I'm not sure how bad any seepage might have been in a hotter area of the car though - hidden by upholstery!

I wonder the merits of the OP's duct tape, some of which from the pics doesn't look to be overly well pressed down. Just sayin....

Chris

Frankie47 and els like this.
  27. 41 C28

41 C28

Glad I'm cheap and used the peel and stick stuff from Lowes.

03GMCSonoma, modagger, reagen and 4 others like this.
  28. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

traditional? can you imagine a 50's hot rodder worried about sound deadener and heat mat???LOL

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I hope Eastwood does the right thing to help/compensate for the mess!
    Hate to say it, but I generally stay away from anything they sell.

els likes this.
  30. Interesting. I also used the Dynamat Extreme ... but topped that with butyl rubber sound deadener. Finished with factory carpeting. ( Off topic mid '90's car. )

May be overkill for the original poster ... but a layer of butyl rubber deadener ... would certainly cover the seeping Eastwood product. Carpet ready, again.

Without peeling that tar-ry mess up. Gallons of solvents wasted.

els and Frankie47 like this.