Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 49 Plymouth air control unit to vintage air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nzdeuce, Jul 11, 2019.

1. nzdeuce

nzdeuce

Looking for advice on how to adapt a 1949 Plymouth air control unit to operate a vintage air conditioning system IMG_0276.JPG

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. jdrew

jdrew

Interested as well...

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

The new Vintage Air controls operate electrically rather then with cables. I certainly wouldn't want to try and make that happen with a 1949 HVAC cable operated control unit.

4. I do not think it would be to hard you already have two elec. switchs

5. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

download.jpg download (1).jpg

Vintage air has these potentiometers that will control their gen 4 systems. Yo need 3 so you would have one unused control.

Chris

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, that wouldn't be so tough. Don't over think it. The two outside knobs are easy, pick one of the middle sliders and cut the knob end off and adapt it to mount to the potentiometer above. It will look a little funny when you turn it rather than slide it but who cares. Mount the switch in the center of the slide to the back with JB Weld. The other slider would make a cool kill switch...until I just said that on the internet.

arthurC3 likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I seem to remember Old Aire Products (Florida) does conversions of old control panels to modern systems.

8. To convert linear motion to rotary, McMaster-Carr sells small brass gears and gear racks. Put a gear on the switch shaft, then connect the rack to your lever... You'll need to figure ratio so movement of the lever matches the switch rotation. Be some fiddlin' fab work, but nothing that will need to be heavy-duty.

https://www.mcmaster.com/gears

Hnstray likes this.
  9. nzdeuce

nzdeuce

Thanks Chris, I’m running a Gen 2 super system. I’ll give Vintage air a ring and check what they they have.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Pinball Wizard

Pinball Wizard

0912rc_27_o-air_conditioning_by_vintage_air-cable_converter.jpg

The picture I posted on the left is a linear pot Vintage air sells that goes in place of the old heater cable.
    Chris

Hnstray likes this.