Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dwell Meters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaw22w, Jul 9, 2019.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a Craftsman also; made with aluminum sides and back, sort of in a heat-sink style. Bought it right out of high school, 1969, and it's still going strong. The Craftsman timing light I bought at the same time died a few years ago; replaced it with an identical one from that auction site we all know and love. Same deal with my Craftsman clicker torque wrench, it locked up, and I sent it to Team Torque in North Dakota; they could't repair it so I told them to keep it for parts. Then I went on that auction site again, and bought two identical clicker torque wrenches. I figure they lasted over 40 years with me using them often, then another one slightly used would get me by until I can no longer use one. The older Craftsman stuff is built really well. I am Butch/56sedandelivery

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

I bought an old Kal-Equip hand held tach and dwell meter at the swap meet a few months ago. I have several of the old Kal-Equip units now, heavy chrome case, nice meter and leads. Two work fine and one (the best looking one - of course) doesn't work. I don't think I paid over $10 for any of them. They've mostly been display items up to now, but I'm putting a W-H DuCoil in my roadster so I'll have a chance to actually use them soon.

3. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I've got a cheap "Sinometer" automotive multimeter bought about twenty years ago that works fine.

Fluke also makes a Model 78 automotive multimeter that measures dwell, and I believe their stuff is still good.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. big john d

big john d
    from ma

you need three of them when you are not sure it is accurate you need to check with another one then use number three to find out which one of the first two is good

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a question. I have an Actron that works fine on 12 volt systems, but does not work on 6 volts no matter what I try. It is powered by 2 clips to the battery. I have seen units that are not powered; they only have two test leads. Is it safe to assume that the units with test leads only will work on 6 volt systems?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must have half a dozen including the one I have had since I was in high school that my step father probably got me at Western Auto where he worked then. I tend to buy them at yard sales when I find them for a couple of bucks probably for shelf decoration when I get the shop done and squared away.

7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Looks like I'm going to be hitting some garage sales in the near future if I want to find a good dwell meter. What the hell is this world coming to?

Montana1 likes this.
  8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Dug this one out from under the bench, quit working years ago, can't bring myself to throw it away. 0710190724.jpg

DFH-GMC and deathrowdave like this.
  9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Clean it up, take a look at the innards. Might just be a bum capacitor.

10. Fogger

Fogger

I too have three dwell meters, my old Craftsman since the '70s. All my old cars run points and having a meter in the trunk is assurance that it won't be needed. A good friend drove his '40 coupe, with a SBC, to Bonneville years ago and the Pertronix quit while he was leaving for the trip home. He went through the pits asking if anyone had a dwell meter so he could replace the Pertroniz with a set of points and condenser he had in the tool box. No one he asked had a dwell meter and with the help of a friend he was able to set the dwell by ear. Looks like the need is going away with all the electronic ignitions in use. I always have a meter in my trunk tool box.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's what matchbook covers are for! Although nobody probably had matches either.

Using a feeler gauge of .017" say, to set point gap is technically just to get the engine to start, so the dwell can be set with a meter. At least that's what the shop manuals claim. New contact points don't have a deposit buildup on the surfaces so using a feeler gauge is acceptable.

Once they get some miles on them a dwell meter is recommended, the points are then adjusted to the dwell angle spec without regard to the resultant point gap. If you're just bombing around the back 40 it probably won't matter.

flatford39, ClayMart and Montana1 like this.
  12. bedwards

bedwards

I have 3 :rolleyes:. One my dad built in the 70s, one of the Craftsman mentioned here and one I just bought at an antique mall for 11 bucks still in the box with the wrap still on it. It had an old Kmart sticker on it from who knows when for 35.99.

13. I agree, try to find a used one. Swap meet or garage sale. Could also try looking at ebay if you need it quicker. I have 2, and still have 3 vehicles with points that I occasionally use the dwell meters on.

Just curious if your vehicle is a GM with the window style cap? If so you can adjust the points while running and get it very close without any dwell meter. Open the window, turn in until it starts to misfire. Then back out half turn. That will be very close. Then set timing, as dwell is set first then timing.

14. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have an old craftsman that still works great. I used it last year on a 73 Torino that still had points.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I have a RAC brand that I could send you, I need to get a chance to test it on a point system.
    It's only for 6 and 8 cylinder with tach.

16. squirrel

squirrel

No, the type that are not powered by a clip to the car battery, don't care what voltage the car is.

17. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

I bought one of thee at swap meet. Works great

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Squirrel" - I think if you reread my question : "Is it safe to assume that the units with test leads only will work on 6 volt systems?", your answer would actually be "Yes, the type that are not powered by a clip to the car battery, don't care what voltage the car is.". Am I reading you right?

19. Business cards will work too...

20. I wonder if you went to BIG-R, tractor store. They might have an inexpensive one.

21. If I am running a points ignition I use a feeler gauge. I set the points and time it and run the bugger. I do have a dwell meter but its very old and I don't recall the brand. It seldom leaves my tool box.

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

me too. needs a 4.6 volt battery...

23. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'll bet a lot of older guys know that you don't need one for the old delco "window" distributor. start the engine, put a hex wrench in the window and turn clockwise until it runs rough. turn the other way 1/2 turn and you're done!

flatford39 and deathrowdave like this.
  24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

GM really hit one out of the park with that, didn't they?

It is possible to set the dwell by cranking over the engine with conventional distributors. That's what the notch in the base is for, to fit a flatblade screwdriver.

25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yep, I've always been envious of the Delco points setup. Ford and others had that terrible system where you adjusted the gap, then tightened the screw to hold it in place. Often the points would squirm around as the screw was tightened, changing the gap.

However, Ford's official technique to adjust gap was to bend the stationary point arm, not loosen the screws :eek:.

26. Really, I haven't heard of this. Tell me more...

jaw22w likes this.

27. I started working on cars in 1968 and I've never heard of this method of adjusting GM points. Is it in a service manual or is it one of those things that just is? o_O

28. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Anybody ever heard of micronta.
    416014_1.jpg

dan c and Deuces like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

First time I saw one of those 'Delco windows', my boss told me you set the points with a flexible extension Allen wrench, with the engine running! (1958?)
    I immediately went in the office, looked it up in our NEW Chilton's pages...
    There was a line following instructions with the dwell meter, as such:

Set cam dwell angle needle to 'calibrate'. Connect leads, + to coil, distributor side and
    - to ground. Start engine, turning wrench clockwise/counter clockwise until cam dwell angle is 30*.
    If no meter is available, turn wrench clockwise until engine misfires, then turn counter clockwise 1/2 turn.

Chilton's 'shop pages' were in depth, for instance: In the Pontiac section, there was a 'fault finding glossary'.
    I read the part about hydraulic lifter adjustment:
    'No adjustment on Pontiac hydraulic lifters. If one persists, examine the nut on the persistent one. Nut is on upside down.'
    Whew! A lesson in itself. Loved those pages...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No... they did suggest bending the stationary arm only, if the point faces weren't aligned properly.

They also used a spring scale to measure point tension. That's why there's two nuts on a set of points, by moving the spring angle the tension can be increased or decreased. Points were kind of a pain in the ass. In high humidity they can corrode to the point of no spark practically overnight.