Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SEE THE DAY.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

When 15x7 Chevy Pass car wheels would be hard to find. I am looking for my nephew a set of steelies for his 58. I used to buy em at the salvage yard for $10 ea. Now they have dried up. We used them for everything, tools, stands, stack cars on. I can buy new ones for $100 ea.

I guess I have turned into the old guys that complain about prices......
    [​IMG]

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Not much left in the pick ur part lots....

els likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I bought a whole parts car to get a set and only ended up with 3, still gotta find the fourth. Most of the cars they came on are now around 40 years old.

els, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  4. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Try finding 14"...

R-

els and Taboo56Chevy like this.

5. I hear ya. I am having a devil of a time finding 15X 6 or 15 x6½ for a reasonable price.

els likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

See my avatar? Those rear wheels (15 7's) were gotten over 15 years ago. It was a pain back then as well.

els likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, you are the one that used 'em all up - Ha! same thing happened to me with money - used it all up, now hard to find

els, razoo lew, swade41 and 9 others like this.
  8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have a pair I would trade you for a pair of 15X4" old school Cragars.........................

els, swade41, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Damn, I am glad to hear you say that, I thought I was the only one. Every time I bitch about the cost of something my kids tell me my age is showing, but I still can't believe how much things cost:(

els and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I got lucky 4 years ago and found 3 in my friends junkpile at his tire store, 25 bucks. Found a 4th one at a Big O in Evanston, had to cough up 40 bucks for that one, and pieced together one more from an oddball center and a 7 inch rim. They're all getting hard to find, it took me a long time to piece together a set of '60's Ford wheels too. I have gotten to the point of picking up all free steel wheels I can get my hands on, it makes feel feel like a hoarder ;)

els, bobss396 and bchctybob like this.
  11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had the issue with early Ford 16 in a few years ago . I had many in the past gave them away , threw them away . Better latch on to them if you round across any today .

els likes this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

My wife says that I am stuck in 1984.

els, King ford, Tman and 4 others like this.
  13. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I wish I was, I was 60lbs lighter and a lot younger in 1984:).

els, King ford, swade41 and 3 others like this.
  14. I have three 14" 62 Chevy station wagon wheels in the shed , they have a deeper dish than reg . wheels.

els likes this.
  15. X-cpe

X-cpe

I think that in everyone's life there is time when things takes on a reference price point that we use to compare what we think things should cost. Why do I have to pay $1.35 for a nickle candy bar? (LOL)

16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have gotten to the point, of even trying to find stock Ford Wheels, that I just bite the bullet and order from Wheel Smiths. Then if necessary I hide the wheels with full caps or moon's.

els, lothiandon1940 and bchctybob like this.
  17. Yep and a loaf of bread ain't 25 cents anymore.

els, lothiandon1940 and guthriesmith like this.
  18. I got frustrated when I was looking for steel wheels for my 50 Coupe at my favorite salvage yard, I have bought brand new mqags for less that they wanted for 15 x 6 steel Chevy pattern wheels, I ended up buying a set of five spokes from Summit for about a hundred dollars more that the 4 steelies. HRP

els likes this.
  19. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Try finding falcon 5 lug 13 in steel wheels.

els, jazz1 and Crazy Steve like this.
  20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought ones of these Cal custom jobs at a swap meet back 20 years ago used for 10 bucks. 5 years ago decided to run a crossram so I needed another one. Had to pay 110 bucks on Ebay for another used one and had to bid on 4 different ones before winning that bid. and try and find one where someone hasn't drilled a hole in the top of it. Don't even want to admit what the one in the picture still in the package went for.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Bug Catchers, Hmm? How much does a trick cost these day's. :D

els likes this.
  22. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Biggest issue I see is this.
    I have access to a large yard where I could spend a week removing 13-14-15” steel wheels.
    After that is tire removal and disposal.
    Betcha a donut if I offered the wheels up for sale there would be questions on spalling, why aren’t they blasted and powder coated and can they be bought for $10. Just saying.

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Jobber mentality is what it boil's down to. If it doesn't sell, don't stock it.

els and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  24. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, I've been watching for a steel 15x6 Chevy wheel to go with the one I have for a while now with the same results. 5 on 5 1/2 Ford wheels are all over the swap meets now but I still haven't found any Chevy 15x6 or 7s. The price of new steel wheels has been steadily rising over the past few years. No doubt due to steel and energy price increases, but still....

els likes this.
  25. The car crushers would crush out a yard and remove all the tires & wheels. and the yard owners wouls set them on fire. and sell the burnt rims for short steel. Ive still got a good supply of all kinds of wheels. Shipping is too expensive.

els and Roothawg like this.
  26. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D .25 cents a loaf?Geez,I remember buying a 2lb loaf of sandwich cut bread at 7/11 for .10 cents a loaf:rolleyes::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. I have a set of 14" x 4.5 bolt pattern that came with my Ford, less than 5" wide. I was going to mount a set of slicks on them... was....

els likes this.
  28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hey you kids! GET OFFA MY LAWN!!!

els and Roothawg like this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here I thought finding 4 F100 15x 6 wheels was a challenge a while back
    I had a set of 15 x 8 Mopar cop car wheels from the 70's out here that had been snow tire wheels on a Dodge Grand caravan we had (yep wide tread) Dug them out and stuck the on craigslist and the first guy who called bought the on the spot for the asking price that I figured I'd have to come down from. Said he had been looking four two years.
    The local wrecking yard here in town stacks the steel wheels with tires along the fence to reinforce the fence and keep thieves from getting though a hole if they pull the tin back on the outside. I sorted though a bunch of those looking for a matching set of 15 inch Ford pickup wheels a while back.

els likes this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I used to buy the Wheel Vintiques but as stated earlier they started at $40 a pop now up over $100.

els likes this.