Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest How many of you are true garage builders ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Mahty

Mahty

I used to be in the biz, been out for 18 years. Now it’s just for me. Always have done everything but upholstery. My first attempt at that will be with my current project.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe likes this.
  2. Woob

Woob
    from Falcon, CO

3. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do everything myself except machine work and upholstery. Bought a sewing machine so that's on the list for the next one.

enloe and Mahty like this.
  4. pmdguy

pmdguy

This station wagon was the backup body for the "Grocery Getter" wagon campaigned by the "Bag Boys" Eric Larson/ Mike Garblic/ Wayne ? out of Ohio. This car was found in a salvage yard by Arnie Beswick, he knew the "bag boys" were looking for a back up car. When the bag boys sold their Grocery Getter wagon to build the Boss Bird funny car, they also sold my wagon as they no longer needed a back up body. It was a totally stock 4 cylinder car with MAJOR RUST!! But I wanted to save the car due to its history, and it was priced fair. Its powered by a stroked Pontiac 400/400 turbo and a 9.3 Pontiac diff. First time at the drag strip it went 10.74 @ 124 mph through the exhaust.

Attached Files:

enloe and Unique Rustorations like this.
  5. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

That is an awesome story!!! Great going on the save and enjoy driving it! Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe likes this.
  6. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  7. brianf31

brianf31

I do everything except machine work and mufflers. Other than a nice Lincoln TIG welder and some Crafstman USA hand tools, most of my equipment is from Harbor Freight.

enloe likes this.
  8. enloe likes this.
  9. Me at 19.
    32-5window (3).jpg
    Me late 20's ModelA_0002.jpg
    Me mid 60's (age not year) Not in picture, taking it.
    :rolleyes:
    003.JPG
    Me late 60's Again taking the picture!
    Coleman R&R 001.JPG
    So yes, I am a garage builder.:D

wheeldog57, JUNK ROD, Joemama and 4 others like this.
  10. I do everything I can, with what I have. My shop doesn't have power, so when I use a compressor or any power tool, I run a diesel generator to do my work, or push my project down the driveway to my house.

enloe likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    JUNK ROD, rc57, enloe and 1 other person like this.
  12. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I tend to do it all myself. I don't have a lot of free time and my hot rod budget is pretty minimal but I just keep chipping away at it when I can. It's not that I'm a tightwad, its just that I'm usually broke.

I'm currently trying to button up the rear suspension. And then I'll tackle fabbing an open drive conversion for the banjo rear.

Bobby IMG_1975.jpg

JUNK ROD, enloe and Old6rodder like this.
  13. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

In the garage a lot of years ago - still the best way to spend the day. fender.jpg

JUNK ROD and enloe like this.
  14. Frank32

Frank32

Count me in, I try to do as much as possible in my garage.
    20181226_171113.jpg

JUNK ROD, lucky ink, rc57 and 2 others like this.
  15. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Everything but the machine work. I hope to buy the equipment to do that, too. As we dont have very many machine shops around here. Heres my first stab at upholstery....for my Unibody... 20190611_182849.jpg 20190707_000130.jpg

16. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

It took 15 years to build this complete from the chassis up, including paint, in my garage. Only thing I didn't do was bore the block. It was my first and only. DSCF0004.JPG IMG_0008.jpg

JUNK ROD, enloe, akoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  17. Andy's with Center Door 1999.jpg
    This was in 1999 when I started to rebuild the Centre Door T . Yes thats Andy Brizio's Instant T , C Cab, just before I sold it.

P1010141.JPG

About 2011, the Centre Door built and the 37 Coupe was sorted in 2009 so the build of the A Tudor took place

P1020220.JPG

P1010994.JPG

About 2012 the Build of the T Coupe Body off 59.JPG

Then about 2012 this big bad boy , I couldn't fit it in to the garage so I had a temporary garage on the drive. The wife was not happy after one year but thats all gone and forgotten now, its finished and the temporary has gone.

So yes I have built mine in my own garage, apart from the Upholstery, some body work, and painting.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've built 2 race cars, one cruiser, 4 pickups and parked different cars of my wife's in my garage for 49 years but since the garage was attached to the house when we bought it and I didn't need to "build" one .....I'd guess I'm not a "garage" builder. :rolleyes:

enloe and 65pacecar like this.
  19. IMG_3802.JPG

Taken today, it's a squeeze

20. badvolvo

badvolvo

Growing up on a small farm, we learned if you want it done, you have to do it. We built our home, built our shop, now we get to build cars.

enloe, ekimneirbo and Old6rodder like this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

I had an eighth grade music teacher define expert for the class.
    ex - used to be
    spert - drip under pressure
    expert - used to be drip under pressure

enloe likes this.
  22. X-cpe

X-cpe

All they want is a lifetime warranty and a free maintenance contract.

enloe likes this.
  23. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Very cool use of shipping containers!

enloe likes this.
  24. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Digging your home/shop/barn... awesome barn-dominium!

enloe likes this.
  25. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

enloe likes this.
  26. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

enloe likes this.
  27. chiro

chiro

Yup. Built my '31 Tudor in a one-car garage while working 6 days a week. You can check out the build thread by clicking on it below. Currently converting the Tudor to a coupe and will add to the thread as the conversion goes forward.
    Andy

enloe likes this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Love this shop.

I do what I can. If I run into a problem I call a friend and try to learn what I need to know. I help any of my friends that call and ask for help. I have done everything over the years except welding, or upholstery, or Trans building.
    DSCN6326.JPG IMG_0650.JPG gar1.jpg DSCN6328.JPG [
    These are some old pics. my son is going to be 16 on Thursday and Darrin and I have been running around since High School

JUNK ROD likes this.
  29. The body for my 34 sat in the corner of my buddy's body shop for 8 years of spare time building. I was there for every minute of it, helping to piece the body together before it came home to my little 1 car garage. Then I worked by my myself to build the chassis for the car. I built my own engine, trans, suspension, etc etc---boxed the frame, set up my own motor mounts, trans mounts, ladder bar mounts etc, etc before painting it all with epoxy, urethane primer in my garage. Loved every minute of it! 34floors1_09small.jpg 34chassis1_18.jpg

UNSHINED 2, JUNK ROD, enloe and 2 others like this.
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've been "Home-Building" my Hot Rods since I was 14 years old, and now at nearly 63, I just completed a total change to my Model A Coupe I built the first time 30 years ago.

I Love Real Home Built Hot Rods, and remember, there are NO RULES in Hot Rods.

Bill's Auto Works and enloe like this.