Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Vintage Sprintcar finished

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big jee, Jul 8, 2019.

1. big jee

big jee

I been busy for the last year or two living the dream ,creating something that's been etched in my brain for half a century . A 1930s style big car made from mostly period parts I've collected over the year . Model b ford running gear ,all body and chassis parts by me .
    Check out the pics. Feel free to comment good or bad .cheers gaz

Attached Files:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Inspired Tribute @big jee...that's Quite the Milestone...ya gotta be Happy with that...

Why don't you edit your post and select More Options and select Full Image for your Pics...;)

brady1929 likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations, how very well done. That's something to be proud of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Sweet... Enjoy...

5. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Very nice. I'd sure like to see the build pictures.
    Pete

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Nice, only thing I am not sure about is the steering wheel. Looks too modern but like many things I could be wrong!

Hope you will post some more pics, maybe a video of it running. Well done sir.

Stogy likes this.
  7. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

8. Oh man that’s awesome! I’ve a similar project and I need to get back to it!

9. Nice...BUT...that's a lot of work for a limited use single seater

10. Fordors

Fordors

Really? That’s all you have?

11. Mr Fordors…
    for being 87 yo..be damn lucky you got that much......

12. Perfect!

Please post some build pics.

I have ALL the pieces to build one just like it. Probably won't live long enough.

Do you know of a way to ID aluminum bodies i.e. Dreyer, Kurtis, etc.?

13. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

NICE, did I say NICE!:):):D

14. Effort well spent! :D And you can't go wrong with a cream and red paint scheme on a vintage racer like this. :cool: I don't know that much about these as far as the steering wheels that were commonly used. The general design of the wheel doesn't look out of place to me. And maybe it's the photo, but the spokes almost look like they're a red anodized finish. :confused: Maybe it just stands out a bit against the nice engine-turned gauge panel.

Yep... We need more pictures from more angles. And video of it running if you can. That's not asking too much, is it? :rolleyes:

tractorguy likes this.
  15. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

A lot of the early cars, especially midgets, had distinctive features such as the nose and grille, cowl flare, hood, cockpit opening and tail. Thus a Kurtis, Solar, Hillegass, Silnes, Richter, Dreyer, etc. were easily recognized.

Trouble is, many were copied by various builders, and some cars were a combination of various used pieces amalgamated together.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Very nice looking car, but must agree that at least on this side of the pond, the steering wheel should have three equally spaced spokes with no drilled holes to be period correct.

17. Thanks! Mine resembles pics of Dreyers that I've accumulated. They seem to have that flat tail end with the headrest bump. Sorry to hijack, back to the OP and his cool scrapper.

18. the shadow

the shadow

Very cool I like the paint scheme as well. reminds me of one I made from scratch back in 2006-07, your tail is period correct I cheated and used a FG tail. Other than taking it to local shows I didn't do much with it but with the advent of the jalopy showdown and the TROG race I wish I never sold it. Nice Job!
    Paul

Attached Files:

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Who cares that's some kool shit rite there!!

Asphalt Demon likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOVELY old Big Car!!! I'd license it for the street and drive it whenever I could!
    Oh, the 'big cars' used the 17" 4 spoke (or 1" 'dished') flat Bell (or Schroeder) wheels. Midgets used the smaller 15" 3 spoke Bell wheels.
    BEST new 4 spoke wheel I have found is the GT enterprises 4 spoke rubber rimmed wheel, $145.00, eBay. Great for an open wheel race car...(mine's on my '55 F100...)
    I should put my pieces together and do this...Been 'threatening to' for a decade.
    This is an extreme example! Great goin', Big Jee!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  21. That is so cool! HRP

[​IMG]

22. zzford

zzford

Montana Special 4 (2).jpg Montana Special 4 (2).jpg Montana Special 5.jpg Montana Special 4 (2).jpg Montana Special 5.jpg This is the sprint car built by my late friend, Gary Montana from Juno Beach, Florida. Gary built Litterally everything on the car, with the exception of the upholstery. He built the body out of aluminum that he gas welded together and made his own louver dies then punched out the louvers using his drill press!

Attached Files:

23. big jee

big jee

You are right about the steering wheel ? I borrowed off my roadster .l will swap it when I come across one I like . There is a few other parts that need swapping as well ....cheers.

Stogy and Offset like this.
  24. big jee

big jee

U
    Your friend built you a wonderful car . He certainly left his mark on this world.

Stogy likes this.
  25. big jee

big jee

Keep working on that sense of humour buddy

26. X-cpe

X-cpe

I thought the whole reason for our hobby was to make your heart go pitty- pat.

cactus1 and Fordors like this.
  27. My heart has about pitty patterd it self out

28. zzford

zzford

It was Gary's car, not mine, sadly.

29. spanners

spanners

I'd say he built it because he had a dream and because he could. What other reasons do you need? Beautiful job you've done big jee.

30. Very nice job right there....you done good kid...love the rear tires too...

MikeC