Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dropped timing gear on floor...still okay to use???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950fleetline, Jul 6, 2019.

1. I see dirt/debris, but after looking again and again, I see porosity........ I'de get a new one.

1950fleetline and Deuces like this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I can't imagine any kind of aluminum not getting similar damage if dropped several feet onto a concrete floor.
    Another good reason for a dirt floor garage!

1950fleetline and Andy like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

My guess..... they're used to help cancel out harmonics.

Deuces likes this.
  4. I think the aluminum is malleable enough that 5 minutes of run time will return the 5% of mushrooming back to the spec of the other 95%. I wouldn't recommend that if the smash was asymmetric or if any cracks. That's just me. Your gear, your opinion rules.

belair, 1953naegle and 1950fleetline like this.
  5. Joe H

Joe H

The crank gear is likely steel, my 250 inline is that way. The steel gear will clearance the deformed aluminum one in no time. File it down, and forget it.

Dirty floor? Just how clean do you think the assembly plants were when these old engines were put together?

belair, 1950fleetline, pitman and 2 others like this.
  6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I’ll guarantee you that they were never dirty. No manufacturers would take chances of contamination in a new engine

7. Deuces

Deuces

Tonawanda claimed they had the cleanest engine plant in the world some years back......

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Because the crank and cam travel at different speeds

1950fleetline and Deuces like this.
  9. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

File it and run.... seen worse reused with no issues

1950fleetline likes this.
  10. spanners

spanners

Given the workload on that gear when howling around when you have the 'pedal to the metal' I wouldn't be too concerned with a little bump on the floor. If it's a reused gear the porosity wouldn't concern me either. If it was going to explode it would've done it by now.
    On the other hand if it's being used in a high revving race engine I'd probably replace it anyway.

pitman and 1950fleetline like this.
  11. How high did it bounce? :D, Just clean it up and use it. HRP

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chev/GMC 6 ....won't hurt anything.

belair, 1950fleetline and squirrel like this.
  13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've never done it, but vern tardel recommends filing to reduce gear noise...

14. InstantT

InstantT
    from SoCal

ottoman likes this.
  15. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

16. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Myq two cents is garage floors and internal engine parts should never mix. Unless you enjoy having to change the "timing whirlies" in your engine, or worse, having it damaged to the point of teardown, I'd suggest not using the gear. A few more bucks spent far outweigh the risk of it failing due to an unseen flaw.
    Good luck.

Deuces likes this.
  17. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK. I'll try. Is it so the wheels would turn at different speeds to eliminate harmonics? (You did say "guess".)

18. I've seen worse come out of running engines with 50,000 miles on them.

19. Deuces

Deuces

If you want to re-use it, pull all the spark plugs first and slowly crank the engine over with a rachet.... First mark that gear with a magic marker where all the dings are.... If the motor binds up in that area, go buy a new gear!.....

20. squirrel

squirrel

...or file it down some more!

21. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Well I’m in the your engine your decision camp. But if it were me I’d replace it with new. Unless it is an engine being assembled with used parts why chance it. The involute cut on gear teeth are very precision that can’t be replicated with a file. The cost of the gear is minor compared to the total cost of the other engine parts used.

As far as cleanliness goes you can never have a engine build area too clean. I have seen NASCAR engine build rooms that would rival the cleanliness of hospital surgical areas. I have also been in aircraft engine build rooms you could eat off the floor.

Deuces likes this.
  22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

On the other end of that spectrum, although the engines built for WW2 bombers fighters etc. were built in sterile environments , pretty sure in the war zone they were fixed in the dirt.

ottoman likes this.
  23. Cause the gear is wore slap out. Its pitted. If it were mine and I was not trying to get on the road in the middle of no where just to get home I would have replaced it well before I dropped it on the floor.

lippy, Deuces and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  24. Fordors

Fordors

@1950fleetline mentioned early on that it is a new gear, and aluminum at that. Dress it with a fine file and put it in.
    I bet he did just that days ago.

squirrel likes this.
  25. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If that gear can't take a beating on the floor, I wouldn't want in my engine anyway.
    File and go with it.

belair likes this.
  27. belair

belair

Holy cow. I would stick it in and run it. It'll self-clearance in a few seconds.

28. els

els

PAINT IT BLUE, CALL IT NEW.

belair likes this.
  29. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

How many times do you think parts have been dropped between mfg. , warehouse, , postal guy and parts store, there is a chance you get a new one , someone dropped that too you just don’t know about it

els likes this.