Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Favorite Roads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym_46, Jul 6, 2019.

1. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Builds are nice and hopefully lead to driveable vehicles. So let's talk about highways, roads, and favorite drives.

Living in Central New York, where the country is minutes away gives us lots of choices. For highways if I am going east and west US Route 20 is my choice mostly traffic free, it goes from Albany to Buffalo, pareleling I 90, mostly two lanes in each direction, lots a scencic areas, small towns and some hills and curves. Second choice, NY Route 5 and 5s. Both these run along the same course and some times share the same roadway as Rt20, but diverge enough to provide some different views. For north and south travel US Route 11 runs along I 81 but also is less traffiked and is less boring than the Interstate. Further south US 15 is an option.

For hills, twist and turns NY 13, NY 10, and NY 80 are the choices, they all meander through the country and little towns and scencic areas and all three of them go in just about every direction at some point along their routes. If I am headed to Massachusetts, the Mohawk trail is the way to go if you have good brakes. This route goes east a few miles north of Albany passing up and over the Adirondack foothills and through the Berkshires down into Mass Route 7 near Williamstown, and continues east as Ma. Rt 2 which crosses the state to Boston. An alternative is to stay on US 20 through Albany as 20 also ends just west of Boston. For getting to th

Let's hear about your favorites so if we end up in your neck of the woods we might enjoy them also.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_State_Route_80

dana barlow and pitman like this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

Mulholland Drive in Hollywood at night is a challenge and highway one on the pacific coast can be a real PIA. What's the one called a dragons tail somewhere I think in Appalachia.

I know I didn't really answer your question but I really love 46 Plymouths

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Dragons tail is in western N or S Carolina. In SE New York we haves the Hawks Nest which is a biker fav.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Niles Canyon road in Fremont Ca. takes you away from the shitstain known as the San Francisco Bay Area for a few minutes. when we were young and fearless we would see if we could drive from one end to the other before Ted Nugents "Strangle Hold" ended.... on 8 track of course.

another favorite would be Hiway 35 which goes through the Santa Cruz mountains. way more fun on a sport bike than an old car though

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Dragons Tail is famous on You Tube motorcycle crash videos.

deathrowdave likes this.
  6. Any road that is not a Interstate Hwy although we do have to travel on them, I enjoy the old 2 lane back roads and driving through the Great Smoky Mountains. HRP

Deuces, rockable, dana barlow and 3 others like this.
  7. pitman

pitman

OP's Mohawk Trail. Old Route 2, anytime esp. in the Fall. Up our way, rte's 302 between, and 2, above the White Mountains.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The route between Mabton Wa and Goldendale wa though Bickleton with a stop for pie at the cafe. Up Glade road to Bickleton then down the Bickleton highway to Goldendale and back up 97 to home.
    Its a favorite with bikers in the area especially the sports bike bunch.
    We have too many fun two lane routes in this state to count though.

Bandit Billy and CME1 like this.
  9. pkhammer

pkhammer

The Blue Ridge Parkway running from Virginia along the mountaintops down to Cherokee, NC and Highway 441 over to Gatlinburg, TN. About 500 miles worth of great scenery and slow paced cruising.

pitman, low down A, rockable and 2 others like this.
  10. It's called Tail of the Dragon or Deals Gap, and it isn't a road I'd particularly like to drive a hot rod on. I've been on it many times on a bike and truth be told it's one of those things you do just to say you've done it, but there are much better roads nearby. These days we typically run it because it's on the way to wherever it is we really want to be.

The last time I was there a car was pulled over because a passenger was getting sick. Not uncommon on that road.

11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Any road that's straight and flat. Not interested in twisties or curves.

12. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I echo what HRP said. Two lane back roads. Wisconsin is full of em. I heard one time that WI has the most “highway miles” of any state. Hard to believe, until you realize that every 2 laner around here is named County Highway Somethingoranother.

partsdawg likes this.
  13. 01A6D9F8-C638-4510-9006-7126262EFDF7.jpeg Tail of the dragon is awesome but NOT a relaxing drive in the country

14. Northwest Indiana, where I live is pretty flat with a lot of farms to the south and east of and congested to the west of me. Kind of boring, there are few pockets of nice scenery. Fortunately I live close to Michigan where most any random back road is pretty nice in comparison. South west Indiana has some real nice roads. From Bloomington to Evansville is real scenic. Also rt150 through the Hoosier national forest from Loogootee In to Louisville Ky is real nice.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The road to Hana (Hana highway) Maui Hi.
    But it ain't no highway.

16. Unless I'm sadly mistaken, that picture isn't tail of the Dragon... too many markings on the road, and that parking lot doesn't exist anywhere I can think of... plus the turns aren't tight enough. Also looks like that road has guard rails. I'm guessing it's somewhere in Europe.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  17. atch

atch

x2. The Cherohala Skyway is only a few miles south of the Tail of the Dragon and is a much better drive. I've only been on the Tail of the Dragon on a H-D but can't imagine it would be a very good hot rod road. Maybe it would be, though, for a lightweight agile car with really wide tires, like some T-buckets.

Nearly any road in the Smokies or Rockies is good. Most southern states have good hot rod roads; particularly Arkansas, eastern Oklahoma, and North Louisiana.

Dang it, now I want to go for drive.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have driven in all but four of the 48 states and can say I have been on some great roads and some really crummy ones too. I do enjoy the old two lanes roads when ever possible, my wife not so much. She just wants to get where we are going as soon a we can. She hates it when I tell her I know a "shortcut". A few years ago we took a trip up the east coast to Maine. I-95 was a nightmare and she was on the edge of her seat the whole time until I got off it and hit the two lanes, that time she enjoyed getting off the super slab. Another time we came across Route 50 from Winchester VA, to Clarksburg WV. , if anyone has ever driven that way you can understand why she may not have liked that one. I have to say old Route 66 , what there is left of it, was enjoyable for both of us, although the part up to Oatman had us both paying pretty close attention.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Blue Ridge Parkway in NC.. :D

20. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

US 90 from Del Rio to Van Horn TX

21. That pic popped up with google search, I guess I should’ve looked closer

22. Slopok

Slopok

Around here not getting shot at, carjacked, or hit by a wrong way driver is a good travel experience!:eek:

j3harleys and deucemac like this.
  23. butch27

butch27

NONE that I can think of in Michigan, They're all bad.

Ralphies54, DesmoDog and Speedwrench like this.
  24. I'm blessed to have some beauties within minutes of my front door. Just today I drove 4 of my favorites. The first starts a 1/4 mile from my subdivision, the whole 3 miles of Heuco Springs Loop which is all 50-foot whoop-dee-dos and not one foot of level grade. That ends at River Road which runs along the Guadalupe River, densely populated with tubers running the river. It's only about 10 miles long but factor in easily 150 bikini-clad college girls per mile. Next, there's a change up for a couple miles of small-town Texas and some resort/tourist hangouts to get to the next "Road", Purgatory Road, which is a miniature version of Heuco Springs Loop because the surprise whoop-dee-dos are only 5-10 foot dips sprinkled with short stretches of almost level pavement. That ends at RM 32 (Ranch to Market 32) aka: The Devil's Backbone....... which isn't all crooked like the name might imply. It mostly follows the ridge top(s) so the view and the distance are what you get. Each road has its own personality, but this year, because of all the rain, they are all greener than normal and so a tad less drastic of a change in the flora department.

I'd tell you about Farm Road 1623 from Blanco to Stonewall, but that's a tale for another day. :cool:
    Or........... just take FR 1623 halfway, left at the fork on to 1888, to 1376, to Luckenbach for a cold beverage.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A lot of rural roads in the Shenandoah valley in Virginia with the rolling farm land.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  26. Best I have done was leaving Springfield, Mo on US 60 heading East, dropping down to Arkansas on 63, then east on 62, 70 and finally US 64 to Concord , NC. Only interstates was to get around Nashville and Chattanooga. Three days of BLISS.

Ben

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CA SR 74 The Ortega Highway from Lake Elsinore to the I-5 in San Juan Capistrano

28. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

So many amazing roads in the US
    Big Thompson canyon in Colorado
    Living on the Mississippi, so many scenic drives
    Columbia river gorge
    Pacific coast highway
    Iron mountain road in SD
    Enjoyed route 66 with the diversity in landscape and architecture
    Love road trips and 2 lane roads

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and Mahty like this.
  29. Thru Smugglers Notch (rt 108) between Cambridge and Stowe Vermont in the fall.

30. "Nearly any road in the Smokies or Rockies is good. Most southern states have good hot rod roads; particularly Arkansas, eastern Oklahoma, and North Louisiana."
    My favorites are in Arkansas, Highway 7, 23 and the Pig Trail to Fayetteville from I-40. Used to flog my 57 Chevy back to the U of A on the Pig Trail like I was Juan Manuel Fangio, lol.

Boneyard51 likes this.