Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Price difference in cars for sale ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Jul 5, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

Got a copy of Hemmings the latest issue. Was checking out the average costs in the magazine for classics ,rods etc for sale compared to what I normally see. Wow what a difference ??

2. How about a little more info? In your opinion were they high, low or all over the map?

Charlie Stephens

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. blazedogs

blazedogs

Very high..

4. squirrel

squirrel

I think it's turned into a place to advertise cars for ridiculous prices...don't worry too much about it.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Should be all over the map. As the engineering put in to them aftermarket wise is the same way. I'm long retired,but had my own speed shop,designed an built race cars mostly, also hot rods an customs.
    There are well done cars out there,yet some built by high$ shops are badly done. Know what too look for,an know also if its for sale,there are things that need fixing !!!!

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Asking prices are one thing, actual selling prices are another.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Well built cars with attention to detail and all the modern conveniences are not cheap.

Truck64, tb33anda3rd, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  8. blazedogs

blazedogs

Example : 58 Chev Conv 100,000 + Dollars

9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Very simply, some people price cars to sell, other price their cars to keep.

10. Ok was this 6cyl car base model with crank windows and top?

or a top of line power windows, power top, 348 tri power numbers matching AC, power seat E-Z-I glass original paint low mile original survivor ?

Remember this is a very desirable one year car..

And what other have said what one ask for may not be what they get..

Just like that auction site they can ASK all they want but what it actually sells for in a auction style bidding is what its worth.

Hnstray and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. It's called fishing. HRP

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Baron, Joemama and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Wellllllll
    Just today I was in a rooom with a 95k vette.
    Actually there was a room full of them and a few more outside. Get as many as you want.
    When was the last time you saw 58 Chevy’s like that

13. guy1unico

guy1unico

Price guides give a starting point. They are based on auction returns. How many Isletas are sold at auction...probably non so how in the world do they come up with a price. Impossible. Same would go for a 33 Ford tudor...never seen a stock model at auction...so you go figure how they come up with a number. It is a recipe... inflation plus last time the car on record was sold.Total BS.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Rarity, condition, desirability, demand and number available determine price. Above mentioned "full house" 58 Chevy convertible is a great example. However, 50's cars have dropped in price over the past 5 to 10 years. Another example is fully optioned 1958 Bonneville convertibles.

I remember standing next to a guy in 1995 who had the winning bid of $100K for a pristine stock 1951 Merc convertible. at an RM Auction in Ft. Lauderdale. The happy buyer turned to me and asked 'Do you think I paid too much?" I replied, "Not if you really wanted it? Remember, someone else was also bidding and there was only one at this auction."

The truth was that back then #1 condition 1951 Merc convertibles were going for that much at THAT TIME and you had to step up if you wanted one already done.
    Since then prices have dropped a lot. That's why you see big time collectors and museums change out their vehicles.

Currently the BIG THREE OEM 1960's and early 70's muscle cars are king along with rare special interest exotic sports cars. Top of the line resto rods are also "hot". But, that too will change as the population ages and venerable owners become the sages of the past.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    i.rant, chevyfordman, weps and 3 others like this.
  15. I think a lot of owners (especially of 70's-80's "street rods") that may be sorta "out of the loop" put their cars up for sale thinking that their cars are worth far more than they really are. There is the B-J auction syndrome that in my mind has distorted to some degree what many people think their cars are worth. I often see people mention, whether in person or actually in their ad, that one "like theirs" sold last month for such and such dollars at auction. The bottom line as mentioned before is and always will be, the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it on a given day. Believe it or not, there are still areas of the country as well as individuals that are recovering from the recession of 2008 and may never fully recover. This affects disposable income. Your market for an under-$30K car is a pretty large group. $30K-$50K that market narrows considerably. Over $100K, your potential market gets much, much smaller. I think desirable cars that are built to high quality standards will always bring sound money.

16. SR100

SR100

Along with the reasons mentioned above, Nationally advertised cars tend to have higher prices than locally advertised ones, Hemmings is just the largest marketplace. Locally advertised cars tend to reflect the prices that the local market places on them, where nationally advertised cars are priced at the highest value any region prices it at, or a little more. Then there's the SWIPE factor: Seller's Wildest Imagination Plus Expenses.

17. There only worth what some ones willing to pay. Several years ago I bought at auction a 69 Pontiac firebird coup. Rough old project car. out of more than a Thousand people there I was willing to pay the most. When I drug it home my Wife was astonished You paid how Much! I told her I wanted it and how many times can you buy one with all the interior console and good clear title. I cleaned it up and kept it a few years. Lost of potential buyers and when I priced it they pretty much said your dreaming. Then one day a guy makes a counter offer and I sold it to him. He was fixing a high dollar Camaro convertable and needed the interior. I doubled my money.

18. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

To many people watch B Jackson.

19. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Craigslist is full of dreamers as well.

20. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I would like to see the selling price of a vehicle when sold. That would give a trend of what vehicles would be worth. I see all the time, way too much of a asking price for a vehicle or parts that I would be willing to pay. Maybe I am just cheap son of a gun - HA HA.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

I would not want to be in a situation where I had to sell a Streetrod right now. Prices seem to be at rock bottom. At BJ and Mecum auctions cars are crossing the blocks at lower then build costs.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    scrap metal 48 likes this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This reminds me of the man selling pencils.

This businessman sees this poor guy on the street corner selling pencils for a dime a piece.

The businessman tells the man that he can’t make a living selling pencils for dime. He goes on and says “you need to be an entrepreneur, like me.”

Six months later the businessman runs into the pencil salesman. He now is in a three piece suit and his pencils are kept in a golden box.

“ Wow” said the business man,” you have done well for yourself.”

“ You were right” said the pencil salesman, “I have become an entrepreneur.”

“What business are you in?” Asked the businessman.

“Pencils” says the salesman.

“That’s great I’ll take one!” says the businessman reaching into his pocket for a dime.

“That will be $5000.00.” Said the salesman.

“Five grand!! “ exclaimed the businessman. “ I bet you don’t sell very many?”
    “True” says the salesman....”But at these prices, I don’t have too.”

23. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Haven’t in the last 2 years, just not realistic to me any more. I’m not anybody and I’m sure BJ could care less .

24. Squablow

Squablow

I don't know anyone under 60 who reads Hemmings.

25. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Hemmings was “The Bible”to me in the 70’s. Can’t tell you the last time I saw one .

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. I used to subscribe to Cars & parts magazine. it was pretty good 30 years ago.

27. southcross2631

southcross2631

It's like selling a race car the only thing that holds it's value is the trailer you haul it around with.

28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I always enjoy when asked how much my cars are worth or better yet when they try and convince me what theirs is worth. I always keep in mind it's only worth what someone's willing to pay you for it.

29. Makes me cry when I remember buying a very clean '58 convert for the 348. The rest went over the cliff at the county dump. Who would have imagined anyone ever wanting one of those tuna boats.

chromelady likes this.
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Just a observation after 50 years of watching the old car market.
    Those saying prices are too high never say that when they are selling.

X-cpe, stillrunners, texasred and 4 others like this.